Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Loss of front wheel drive?

Views : 1396

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 19th, 2014, 08:08   #1
deanoinmorley

Default Loss of front wheel drive?

I got a knocking noise from the front end on my 2001 XC70 2.4T manual. I thought it was coming from the drivers side drive shaft. The noise as now gone but it feels like I've lost front wheel drive. The car feels like the fronts on ice, it occasionally make a clunking noise, and excess tyre screech when turning. In 1st and 2nd gear it feels like the clutch is slipping as high revs yet little car movement and if I take my foot of the accelerator the car feels like it's just free rolling, RPM goes right down to about 900. I had my passenger side drive shaft rebuilt about 4 weeks ago and all was fine until this weekend.
deanoinmorley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 08:31   #2
XC70Bob
XC70 SE lux D5

I would have a look at the drive shaft you had rebuilt, it may be that the outer CV joint was not refitted properly and the shaft has come out of the CV joint.
did the problem start after you had turned the steering to full lock by any chance ?
XC70Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 09:39   #3
deanoinmorley

I had the drive shaft rebuilt, the car was running spot on for 1000 miles. I thought the knocking was coming from this side of the car but it's stopped now, apart from an odd clunk hear and there that sound like it's from re prop. Why would it appear to be the clutch slipping in low gear? Tyre screetch at 30mph. Feels really unstable on front end. Still new drive shaft???? Would that not of come out of joint at the first turn of the wheel? It's my old shaft too that's rebuilt not an aftermarket one that's too short?
deanoinmorley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 15:24   #4
XC70Bob
XC70 SE lux D5

From my own experience I would say no, I drove around for a day and every thing was fine, it was only when I went to full lock on the steering that the shaft came out of the CV joint, its really easy to check with the steering centered just reach under and grab the drive shaft if you can move it up/down or front/back then it come out of the CV joint the only thing holding it in place will be the CV boot. if you do this simple check and all is fine then at least you know you have another problem.
XC70Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 03:07   #5
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

The front of the car feeling like it's on ice, plus the screeching on corners, sounds like the front diff is locked solid...but it may not be that sinister.

As for the "clutch slip", it could be that one of the driveshafts has disconnected itself from one of the CV joints, as Bob suggests. The viscous LSD stops total loss of drive, but it will slip to an extent. I'd look at that first, and see if it cures the other symptoms.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 10:22   #6
Gazdok
Master Member

Prop your car up on 4 axle stands and let the engine run in 1. or 2. gear at idle. Your front wheels should turn at the same speed and the rears should engage with a small delay and turn at a lower speed. Then you can also check what is happening on steering wheel turns.
Gazdok is offline   Reply With Quote