Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Was thinking buying an XC90

Views : 1400

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 18:31   #11
ian ferguson
ian ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK09 View Post
It really depends on your mileage and driving habits but the B5D / D5 may be worth considering. As long as you do enough longer journeys, you shouldn’t have issues with the DPF. If you do higher mileages, plenty of motorway journeys or tow quite regularly, the diesel could be a better option. It’s horses for courses, all depends on your planned usage of the car.
i live in London, but i do drive to Spain and spend some time there every year, so a diesel wouldn't be a problem, but I don't want to take the chance that the mayor might ban euro 6 diesels. i had to get rid of my D5 because of ULES. since then i had a V8 and now a 3.2, i have grown to like the petrol cars thy are so quiet. i'm thinking after the information gained from this thread, I've narrowed it down to the T5 and B5P. Also not having to pay 690.00 road tax or the amount of fuel the 3.2 likes. Ian
ian ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 21:32   #12
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

T8 is lovely and quiet in EV mode, lovely.
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 21:35   #13
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian ferguson View Post
i live in London, but i do drive to Spain and spend some time there every year, so a diesel wouldn't be a problem, but I don't want to take the chance that the mayor might ban euro 6 diesels. i had to get rid of my D5 because of ULES. since then i had a V8 and now a 3.2, i have grown to like the petrol cars thy are so quiet. i'm thinking after the information gained from this thread, I've narrowed it down to the T5 and B5P. Also not having to pay 690.00 road tax or the amount of fuel the 3.2 likes. Ian
That wouldn't be a surprise. I think euro 7 comes out next year. When it does, they'll change the rules again and euro 6's will be "non compliant".
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 23:22   #14
ian ferguson
ian ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandys View Post
T8 is lovely and quiet in EV mode, lovely.
I'd love a T8, but unfortunately i wouldn't be buying a new one, so from what I've gleaned from here it would be a risk. Ian
Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 11:21   #15
neilgorin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
That wouldn't be a surprise. I think euro 7 comes out next year. When it does, they'll change the rules again and euro 6's will be "non compliant".
Euro 7 has been rolled back and has near as dammit no difference to exhaust emissions. The only real change is that those emissions should not increase over the life of the car.

It's more about tyre particle and brake particle emissions, which just really means different compounds and harder pads.
The Following User Says Thank You to neilgorin For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 12:20   #16
Stevepvolvo

Quote:
I've narrowed it down to the T5 and B5P. Ian
After over 15 years of Volvo diesels on XC70s and XC60s, (2004, 2007, 2009 and 2015 MY all AWD versions) I changed last year to a 2019 XC60 T5 and cannot commend it highly enough! I have a 1500kg caravan we tow and when I first decided to move to the T5 with AWD I was apprehensive of its capabilities compared to the 5 cylinder diesels. However, I have been "blown away" by its capabilites. Also love how quiet it is and how it seriously instantly accelerates when required. I very rairly shift it out of comfort mode into dynamic and when I do its simply cos I fancy a bit of serious sportiness.( lol) Hope this helps
Stevepvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stevepvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2024, 15:02   #17
Murph7355

Quote:
...i had to get rid of my D5 because of ULES. ...
2016 D5 XC90 is ULEZ compliant....

I wouldn't put it past the mayor (any mayor) to ban all cars in London. I suspect the only "safe" bet would be an EV.
Murph7355 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Murph7355 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2024, 18:54   #18
ian ferguson
ian ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph7355 View Post
2016 D5 XC90 is ULEZ compliant....

I wouldn't put it past the mayor (any mayor) to ban all cars in London. I suspect the only "safe" bet would be an EV.
i have more or less decided to go for the T5. I had a T5 V70 that i traded in for a D5 V70, and although the diesel was really nice and cheaper on fuel, i did miss the T5. and after reading Stevepvolvo's post, it reminded me how enjoyable it was to drive. between it and the XC90 V8 i had, if i wasn't busy and had time on my hands, i would just go out for a drive.
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 17:56   #19
C320

Quote:
I'd love a T8, but unfortunately i wouldn't be buying a new one, so from what I've gleaned from here it would be a risk. Ian
Like you we did research when we bought our T5 a couple of years ago. As much as I would have liked the power of the T8 the reliability of the latter was a concern for me.

We bought a 2018 XC90 T5 Inscription Pro as an approved used vehicle and have covered 20k trouble free miles.

It's a super comfy mile-muncher, adaptive cruise control and massaging seats make it a particularly comfortable long-distance cruiser.

Having had a 3.2 litre previous gen XC90 like yourself and many other 6 cylinder and V8 powered metal before we also had the Polestar Optimisation carried out to add a little bit of extra mid-range grunt. Overall the T5 is a decent powerplant for the size of car.
C320 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to C320 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 11:21   #20
ian ferguson
ian ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by C320 View Post
Like you we did research when we bought our T5 a couple of years ago. As much as I would have liked the power of the T8 the reliability of the latter was a concern for me.

We bought a 2018 XC90 T5 Inscription Pro as an approved used vehicle and have covered 20k trouble free miles.

It's a super comfy mile-muncher, adaptive cruise control and massaging seats make it a particularly comfortable long-distance cruiser.

Having had a 3.2 litre previous gen XC90 like yourself and many other 6 cylinder and V8 powered metal before we also had the Polestar Optimisation carried out to add a little bit of extra mid-range grunt. Overall the T5 is a decent powerplant for the size of car.
Thank you for your reply. it's very reassuring and it seems to be the one that i haven't read any thing negative about.