Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

IT JUST HAPPENED AGAIN!?!

Views : 2124

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 1st, 2003, 12:24   #11
Mav_UK

Very well put together response.

I did indeed contradict myself (consider myself slapped on the wrist) and I should take more care over re-reading my posts. My appologies for it coming out not exactly as I intended.

In the "non-drivers take responsibility for their actions" I was not having a go at Henrik, more the people who have a go at me for daring being a driver and expecting decency from all road users, not just padestrians - also includes the millions of Dutch who think that 2m is a safe distance at 120kmph. I should have separated this from the rest of my comment to avoid confusion.

The thing I was really trying to do was avoid getting personal, if I failed, I applogise.

BTW what is NAAFI?

As stated before I also use all forms of transport (this is easier in Holland than the UK) including walking, skateing, cycling and cars / motorbikes, and would just really like for everyone to start treating roads and things as the dangerous places they are.......

Stu
Old May 1st, 2003, 12:56   #12
Mike Clift

Blimey,

Here we go again.

I think if it was me I'd stick to using zebra crossings or perhaps get an old lady to help me across the road !!!!

You're not wearing one of those old jackets with a target painted on the back by any chance ???

I've now got this picture of a skoda screeching to a halt and being beaten by a mad man with an umbrella. Reminds me of the Fawlty Towers sketch where Basil beats his car within an inch of its life with a branch for not starting.

I doubt if I'll be able to take any of these posts seriously after that picture !!

Smiling Mike
Old May 1st, 2003, 12:57   #13
tonyflynn1

Default RE: IT JUST HAPPENED AGAIN!?!

"Henrik stated - 'no sign of cars going in or out of the road'. This implies that Henrik did check for vehicular activity and no vehicles were seen that were indicating any driver intention to turn into the side road. After Henrik started to cross the road having first tried to make sure that it was safe to do so a driver approaching the side road started indicating a turn manouvre into the side road. This driver appears either not to have seen Henrik already crossing the road - or chose to ignore the fact."

This is the ninth time that this has happened to the guy, unlucky or what?!!?

"Tonyflynn1 - You choose to imply that Henrik is making this up "(if it happened)" and that Henrik will only react to those unable to respond effectively. Perhaps the seriousness of the shock provoked the reaction and it would have been the same regardless of the condition of the vehicle occupants. Drivers - regardless of personal circumstances - must be able to react properly to the driving conditions and if they cannot see pedestrians particularly when they are crossing the road they should consider not driving. You are "likely to redress the balance" - what? Without knowledge or sight of the incident?"

6am, Two eighty year olds in a car going where? maybe to hospital with an emergency? they're sure as hell not going to work.
Reread the previous thread for crossing the road challenges, the only violent response has been towards two pensioners.
Redress the balance? ok I or anybody walks round the corner to find a fit able bodied guy beating up a car with a terrified female pensioner in it. Oh yeah I think, they must deserve it - NOT - I just see a bully terrorising the underdog.

"Stu - "I did not see the the situation, so I can't comment on this one" yet you do so by "gotta agree with Tony on this one". Tony also did not see the incident. It is possible that a driver some distance from a junction, not indicating any intended manouvre and "going at some pace" could cover what appeared to Henrik as a 'safe distance' in less time than expected. "unless they were where they should not be" you mean like forcing through a junction already occupied by another road user? "non-drivers take responsibility for their actions" I gather from the hobbies listed in henrik's profile (Chevys, Volvos) that Henrik is a driver (also stated elsewhere). Unless you were driving the vehicle involved I do not think that Henrik was "having a go" at you."

Nine confrontations this guy has had, one unlucky man!!

"1. I am not Danish (but my co-driver is)."

I didn't understand the geography issue

If people persistently try to kill you with their cars then they're probably trying to tell you something!!

BTW what is NAAFI?

tonyflynn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 12:58   #14
migrator
Aye - him again

Stu,

Thanks for appreciating the effort (and for me it was an effort!).

NAAFI is a variant on the true Navy, Army, Air Force Institute from my TA days. It can be adapted to cover No Aims, Ambition or F------ Interest (Further of course). It is a phrase used when wanting to have nothing else to do with the subject in hand (usually tidying up).

Walk and drive safely, please.
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 13:07   #15
tonyflynn1

Fair comment, naafi it is then!
tonyflynn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 13:47   #16
morsing
Premier Member

It's nice to see that at least one person can show a bit of understanding.

Tony> This is the ninth time that this has happened to the guy, unlucky or what?!!?

Unlucky indeed, I live in Hayes.

Tony> I just see a bully terrorising the underdog.

I hope you'll never be on a jury.

Dont't know where you got 6am from. It was 8am and you're telling me there are no eighty-year-olds on the road at dawn??

Tony> If people persistently try to kill you with their cars then they're probably trying to tell you something!!

Yes, that they're angry people.

Tony> Anybody of this age still driving is doing so because they have to

That's no excuse for letting them! The real problem is that driving tests doesn't involve a mental evaluation. Just because people are physically fit it doesn't mean they're fit to drive.
But we won't ever see a politician with the courage to make that happen.

This will be my last post in this thread. NAAFI it is.

Cheers
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 19:09   #17
George Holmer

I'm on your side Henrik, but in general I find British drivers the best in the world. Pedestrian in Brussels is no fun, Stockholm is just plain horrible and worst I have ever experienced was in New York. Let me put one thing straight, I do not drive in cities and see no reason (well, a few but not many) why anyone would. The car was never designed for that sort of driving and they suffer, the driver suffer, the city suffers and well, everybody suffers. I'm a frequent user of park-and-ride schemes and edge-of-town multistory car parks. My car likes the highway, cruise control on, sunroof open and U2 in the stereo.

George

Anglo-Swede resident near Leuven in Belgium

'87 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler (D24TIC/ZF22, 200k)
'88 745 Turbo Intercooler (B230ET/M46, 270k)
'88 745 GL (B200E/M47, 200k)
'89 440 GL (B18K/M55, 90k)
Old May 1st, 2003, 23:22   #18
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

The only problem is that pedestrians do not have the right to cross a road when they think they will. The pedestrian does not pay for the right to travel on the road which was designed for wheeled vehicular traffic NOT pedestrians. Pedestrians must obey the highway code where it applies to them IE where they may come into conflict with the rightful users of the road. I have not said that vehicles should be the only users of roads. The kerbside is there to divide those on foot from those using wheeled conveyances. The onus is on the pedestrian to ascertain the safety factor in his stepping off the pavement onto the road. What you have done is commit the crime of Jaywalking.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2003, 06:28   #19
Mav_UK

Couldn't agree with the sentiment of driving in cities more George. I drive / Ride my motorbike to work everyday as it's a 30 mile drive (and before anyone says anythingm if I could get a job closer to home I would, my previous job was 3 miles away and I cycled everyday and I left due to it going bankrupt!). My other half (who is Dutch) does cycle to work everyday (she still works 4 miles from home).

But other than that, we walk to the shops at the weekend, and if we are going into town we cycle, unless we are expecting to have to carry something heavy / big / valuble.

Not only does it mean there is one less car on the road, but it also means the engine isn't being damaged by short runs, we are keeping a little fitter and saving the cost of petrol / parking! This is definately one thing the British should consider.....

Stu
Old May 2nd, 2003, 08:47   #20
dominic

But surely if you have checked that there is no traffic coming towards you or indicating that it will come towards you, that can't be jaywalking can it?