Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General > 300/66 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

360GLE Reluctant to part with

Views : 8351

Replies : 57

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 25th, 2013, 01:30   #31
isbjorn

Smile My car is available to buy

If any 360 enthusiast wants it, here it is:- http://www.copart.co.uk/c2/individua...ype=onSaleNow#
As I said in my original post, the body style doesn't suit my needs and I had been indecisive about selling/keeping it - that decision has been made for me; I won't be bidding for it, it's too far away to collect and I want the space on my drive for a camper (if and when I get it). The radiator didn't look compromised by the low speed impact. It does need a new front exhaust pipe as it is severed/patched at the joint with the middle pipe (I hadn't got around to fitting the new exhaust (which I still have, here in Cumbria)) and the front brake discs thickness is below minimum spec. The petrol tank was nearly full (£75 worth). I still have other bits and keys for it.
isbjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 07:33   #32
SteveP
300 Maniac

Looks like a very easy repair to me!
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 10:05   #33
isbjorn

Smile My 1986 360GLE saloon is available to buy

Yes, it probably will be an easy repair, and a new owner will soon have a "ready to drive car" with lots of life left in it yet (I've been using it as a daily runabout and was going to drive 200 miles back to home in it the day after the crunch). However, this is provided that all of the parts can be found, if you have the tools and the facilities - I can only do easy DIY and I have no shelter from the elements. The recovery bodyshop manager didn't want to take on the risk of buying in parts only to find himself short of a critical part. I tried an internet "scrap dealer" search engine, which turned up no replies, so I don't want to assume that risk either and I have no easy means of transporting it 200 miles back home just to then assume that risk. Maybe an enthusiast with the time, knowledge and facilities will know the best places to look for parts. The MoT was valid until end of May 2013, but is that made invalid now by the incident/scrapped status? I can post on documentation, service information, keys, spares, brake discs, exhaust etcetera to any new owner if they get in touch.
isbjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 13:16   #34
Chris_C
Gopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
I fully accept what you say about having too much on your plate, etc, and understand your course of action. What is a grave concern to me is the wider implication of loss of control over what happens to my vehicle, especially in a non-fault case. My mis-trust of the insurance industry ever-deepens!
James, I'm sure you remember when I had a similar issue.

The one thing I was paranoid about was seeing Fake disappear to a storage area of some sort with all the hard work going with it, so I made sure it was not the insurances recovery firm who go the car home (the insurance obviously weren't party to the knowledge of a crash at this point). The possibility it would be crushed is just too high for a car like mine.

She was then stored on the drive (well, it was the old house, so rear car park) blocked in by my house mates tax and ticketed Camaro, my Corsa, his Clio etc apart from when we left the house in any of them, the neighbours would put a car in front of it when ever they saw there was a space. You couldn't hi-ab it away. This may have been overly paranoid, but a few weeks of being paranoid and the mickey taking that goes with it vs 7+ years of development work was little to pay

When I first spoke to the insurance companies (I rang my broker first, for certain reasons I have a lot of trust in them and they understand the car) my broker told me the lines to say to make sure the car stayed in my possession the entire time and to make clear that I wanted to keep the vehicle and that it would be repaired. At no point did I have any trouble luckily.
Chris_C is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris_C For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 16:41   #35
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Blimey, it's actually quite near me now - south-east of Doncaster. Mustn't...bid...

The MOT will still be valid, but I see it's down as a Cat C, so it'll need a VIC inspection...but otherwise good to go. I might point someone even more local than me at this thread...!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 17:01   #36
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I just called my friend, and he's very interested in "saving" it. Watch this space...!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
The Following User Says Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 19:22   #37
Hell Driver

I'll have a go at getting it so if so if I'm lucky, those keys might be handy! it's quite an ordeal of a registration process to even get to bid on it but i'm up for a go. Even if I don't get it I may see other cars come up. The depot is very close to me and I have a transport trailer now so getting it back is no issue. (It was me that James phoned!)
Hell Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 21:46   #38
Chris_C
Gopher

Having done the VIC with Fake, it really isn't something to worry about as long as the VIN and engine number are the same as on the V5/DVLA computer. If it isn't Andy, walk away.
Chris_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 23:01   #39
OvlovS70
Still a learning member

The sad thing is that somebody somewhere is probably going to get their hands on this 360 and fix it even after telling you, you don't have a grace period to fix it - not getting at anyone here though who would purchase it for the right reasons.
How did you track it down?
I was chatting with someone only last week who had their C70 written off, minor rear damage but the owner said looked as mess as the bumper was hanging off, I subsequently spoke to the garage who bought it for a song and were reluctant to break it as they deemed it repairable
Your car must be insured then something happens to it and as it's deemed old the insurers are adamant to write it off.
Sorry to hear this unfortunate outcome.

Last edited by OvlovS70; Jan 27th, 2013 at 23:12.
OvlovS70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 00:25   #40
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

The way the whole thing operates stinks, and is generally not in the interests of the car owners. A friend who knows about these things once told me in great detail about how the salvage racket works, and the murky characters behind it, etc.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164