Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

20" Wheels - excessive road noise

Views : 103004

Replies : 1289

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2016, 16:41   #501
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
Definitely quieter for me but mine was combined with air suspension change which was adding its own noise. On motorway it's like an average car now - not terribly loud it was before (I can hear wind noise now or other traffic tyre noise - in the past it was my tyre drone exclusively). I am hoping quiet tyres will make that last bit of difference to make it as it was expected to be - quieter than average.
What changes did they make to the air suspension system.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 17:17   #502
Marley Don

I have never complained about the noise, just suffered in silence (I wish), but I have mentioned it to the Master tech when the car has been in with other issues this year. He knew about the noise issue, and that Volvo were testing tyre pressures and other stuff.

I guess the reason I have not pushed it any further was that I have followed this thread closely and knew there was no potential fix. Now that there is I have booked the car in with the dealer next week. The car was registered in July 2015 so built before the B pillar fix.

I'm not hopeful of any action, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Marley Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 17:35   #503
Zoo21

..and - the rear electric windows on my car are loose.
Again, it's another known fault and is going to be addressed this Saturday am.
I am expecting huge changes to my car - having already heard a difference with the pillar fix.
To all XC90 owners. Push your dealers into action.
This is now a known and recognised issue with this car (tyre road noise).

BIG Thanks to Familymangreg, Neon and a few others who have kept this thread informative and factual - and mature.
Zoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zoo21 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 18:22   #504
Edbanger

i emailed my dealer yesterday with ref to the tyre swap etc....he basically said he doesnt know anything about it etc...just said to change tyre pressures etc. he has heard nothing from volvo uk.
i can understand people not wanting to give out their dealers info, but does anyone have some sort of reference number with regards to the technical paper , or any other info so i can point my dealer in the right direction.
i will be contacting volvo uk tonight also...perhaps they can call the dealer....its the biggest negative on a great car.....
Edbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 19:09   #505
marceloavg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbanger View Post
i emailed my dealer yesterday with ref to the tyre swap etc....he basically said he doesnt know anything about it etc...just said to change tyre pressures etc. he has heard nothing from volvo uk.
i can understand people not wanting to give out their dealers info, but does anyone have some sort of reference number with regards to the technical paper , or any other info so i can point my dealer in the right direction.
i will be contacting volvo uk tonight also...perhaps they can call the dealer....its the biggest negative on a great car.....
I would be interested to know a reference number as well
marceloavg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 20:29   #506
Zoo21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbanger View Post
Well I'm not gonna fight your fights...however.. this is a known problem and any dealer who says that they are unaware - frankly...you need to drive your car onto their forecourt - and demonstrate your anger.

It's what I did. I was armed with my rights (and I was returning a car within a few weeks of ownership).
Get down to the dealer and GET in front of the MD or dealer principal.

Apologies for my tone of post but this is just a nonsense that Volvo dealers are not aware. Take your phone, iPad, or whatever and shove this thread under their nose and MAKE them read it.

My dealer (who operates other brands) has - and is - being totally professional and responsive.

Good luck. Sigh.
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 21:33   #507
Zoo21

Default All quiet

This morning, my XC90 went into the dealer. It came out a different car.
They have fitted continental silent tyres amongst a few other updates (not sure what they are - and frankly, I don't care any more).

The drive home was bliss. No matter what road surface you drive over, there is negligible difference in reverberation or sound - even when you see the different road surface that you are about to drive over - zero.
The MD gave me his personal mobile number and asked me to update him Monday, on what I thought.

He drove my car, as did the technicians. We all agreed the car is fixed and now a
luxury SUV.
A BIG thanks to everyone who has been positive about the fixes and their own personal experiences - I drew faith from that, that it wasn't 'just me'.

From what I can gather...Volvo, are not accepting 'full' acknowledgement of this issue - but are insistent that the tyres are replaced with a Volvo part number, namely the continental Silents.

I'm attempting to upload the photographs that I took this am...of the tyres before being fitted.. They are small files but I cannot upload. Please advise.
Tyres have a 30mm foam lining and the inside walls are so wet and sticky, that your finger is 'stuck' on touching the glue.

Retail is £385 plus vat... that's a major problem for the first tyre wall puncture.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zoo21 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 21:45   #508
Purplemadboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo21 View Post
Well I'm not gonna fight your fights...however.. this is a known problem and any dealer who says that they are unaware - frankly...you need to drive your car onto their forecourt - and demonstrate your anger.

It's what I did. I was armed with my rights (and I was returning a car within a few weeks of ownership).
Get down to the dealer and GET in front of the MD or dealer principal.

Apologies for my tone of post but this is just a nonsense that Volvo dealers are not aware. Take your phone, iPad, or whatever and shove this thread under their nose and MAKE them read it.

My dealer (who operates other brands) has - and is - being totally professional and responsive.

Good luck. Sigh.
Good statement..
Volvo uk via twitter virtually said there isn't any problem as noise is subjective.. I sent them the link to this thread .
Purplemadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 21:51   #509
AB-UK
Premier Member

£450 for each tyre!!!!!!!
The contis I had on my first XC90 only lasted about 8000 miles.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 21:54   #510
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
£450 for each tyre!!!!!!!
The contis I had on my first XC90 only lasted about 8000 miles.
Great news that the noise is dramatically reduced.

Price will be a real concern and not a practical solution if that is the case, is that RSP, if so likely a nonsense anyway. Hopefully they will come down as they become more main stream and other manufacturers start producing their own as well. Also as mentioned before, Volvo work through other fixes that make it possible to put mainstream tyres on without the noise.

Last edited by neon; Nov 19th, 2016 at 22:02.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote