Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 D5 (D5244T5) Cambelt Split on startup

Views : 10901

Replies : 70

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 18th, 2017, 20:49   #31
cheshired5
Premier Member

It sounds quite tappety to my ears but from experience, youtube doesn't always make the D5 sound great.
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 21:00   #32
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedubmad View Post
So finally got the new timing belt, tensioner & idler pulley fitted. Crossed my fingers and pressed the start button!
Car started and seems to run fine. Not really sure what the engine should sound like as bought it as a repair project.

See below links to videos of the engine running on you tube:

https://youtu.be/V4b3qHxblqo

https://youtu.be/g2W9WvAvqDw

I would appreciate some feedback from D5 owners as to whether it sounds like it's running right ?

Took it out for a drive, pulls like a train and runs fine but just want to make sure it's right.
Sounds ok to me , you could do a compression test or a cilinder balancetest in vida to get a indication thathe valves are properly sealing and be more confident its realy ok
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2017, 21:10   #33
Veedubmad

Hi,

If the timing was very slightly out, would this make it tap more than usual ?

Is there a risk of damage if I rotate the cam sprocket back to the position based on the bolt head marks you can see on the picture I posted ?

Could it just be a case of the oil needing to be changed ?
Veedubmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2017, 21:16   #34
Veedubmad

Does anyone know if there is a noticeable difference in the sound of a Euro 3 engine running at idle compared to a Euro 4 engine ?
Old Feb 20th, 2017, 23:27   #35
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Hi,

If the timing was very slightly out, would this make it tap more than usual ?

Is there a risk of damage if I rotate the cam sprocket back to the position based on the bolt head marks you can see on the picture I posted ?

Could it just be a case of the oil needing to be changed ?
In general if the cam timing is one tooth out you will notice a loss of performance, two teeth out and it will rattle in a big way. Three teeth out and it's game over for the entire top end.

Not sure about the damage issue, but for most engines if you rotate it by hand you will not damage it, even if the timing is off. Might not be possible if the compression is real good or the engine too large etc.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2017, 23:43   #36
Veedubmad

So based on the way it sounds currently, in your opinion does it sound like the timing is ok ?

Do you think it would be worth adjusting the timing one tooth to see if it improves ?
Old Feb 21st, 2017, 08:31   #37
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
So based on the way it sounds currently, in your opinion does it sound like the timing is ok ?

Do you think it would be worth adjusting the timing one tooth to see if it improves ?
Can't tell as low oil pressure (Might be from sludge blocking the oil pump intake screen), thin oil when hot (Overheating or fuel contamination) and badly worn cams all make a similar top end rattle. Obviously if it did not rattle just before the cam belt job, it's almost certainly the timing. If the timing is only one or two teeth off, the rattle will only occur when the engine oil is at its correct warm operating temp (The oil temp takes about 5 mins more to peak than the coolant).

I would not play about with the timing until you have a copy of the Volvo or engine company software that describes how to set the timing when the pulley has to be removed to change the associated oil seal. Some engines that use cheap oil seals need that seal changed every cam belt service. If you only copy the section about a basic cam belt service (Water pump, tensioner and belt), it will only show use of an approved locking tool, not how to set the timing.

In reply to another poster, many cam belt failures are caused by the Aux belt failing and getting stuck in the cam belt causing it to fail. The main reason belts fail is not the belt wearing out, BUT dipsticks that fail to change the Aux belt tensioner when it starts to chirp at warm idle. For some reason replacing the Aux belt tensioner is not listed in a main cam service.

Before I bought my V40 classic I did some research in Google to see if they suffered from any cam belt failures within the 100K km service interval and the result was none. All those listed were caused by the use of non OEM parts or failure to change the tensioner or water pump (Some bad garages or used car experts do a belt only change just to get the service done sticker). Alas all of the post 2004 Volvo cars had in warranty failures listed, mostly taxis that do a lot of stop starts. The quality of the bearings used in more recent engines is not as good as good engine companies used in the old days AND the OEM car companies now accept a limited number of in warranty failures as acceptable.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Feb 21st, 2017 at 08:49.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2017, 13:30   #38
Veedubmad

I bought this car as a non runner so i hadn't actually heard it running before i replaced the cam belt, tensioner & idler pulley so unfortunately cannot compare it to how it sounded before the cam belt splitting incident occurred.

The tapping noise seems to be a continuous noise from when its started and doesn't change over time once the engine has heated up.

It started first time no problem when i first tried, following the cam belt change so that to me says that its running as it should and the tapping is down to wear and tear ??

The engine ticks over quite normally as per the videos i posted earlier in the thread so im pretty sure the timing is on the mark (no pun intended).

Is the oil pump intake screen cleanable / replaceable and is it an easy job ?

I think i might do an oil flush, oil change & add the liqui moly oil additive i keep hearing being mentioned on these forums to see if theres any noticable improvement.

After all it has done 176,000 miles during its life time!
Old Feb 21st, 2017, 15:20   #39
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

With 176k miles on, a little tappety has got to be expected, especially when you don't know the cars history.

Id say, given the condition you got the car, the cost and time to get it back on the road, you've had a result. Well done !

Thicker oil will help, Unsure if Ceratec will (I've only just heard of this lately and from this forum, and added it myself to see what occurs), but, from my own experience I have used and enjoyed the benefits of, Amtech Restore oil on an old Alfa Romeo Spider that had a lumpy engine and low compression. It did take a while to aneal as they say (over 1000 miles), but it did improve compression.

Just my own suggestion from experience.
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2017, 20:18   #40
Veedubmad

Unhappy

So a little update on the car, thinking it was ok by the way it was running I insured it and took it out for a drive.

Not the best outcome really as when going up a hill with a bit of load on the engine it was smoking and smelling really bad.

It still runs well and smooth, just smoking so not really sure what the issue may be ?

Head gasket ???