Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 D5 (D5244T5) Cambelt Split on startup

Views : 10902

Replies : 70

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2017, 20:43   #41
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedubmad View Post
I bought this car as a non runner so i hadn't actually heard it running before i replaced the cam belt, tensioner & idler pulley so unfortunately cannot compare it to how it sounded before the cam belt splitting incident occurred.

The tapping noise seems to be a continuous noise from when its started and doesn't change over time once the engine has heated up.

It started first time no problem when i first tried, following the cam belt change so that to me says that its running as it should and the tapping is down to wear and tear ??

The engine ticks over quite normally as per the videos i posted earlier in the thread so im pretty sure the timing is on the mark (no pun intended).

Is the oil pump intake screen cleanable / replaceable and is it an easy job ?

I think i might do an oil flush, oil change & add the liqui moly oil additive i keep hearing being mentioned on these forums to see if theres any noticable improvement.

After all it has done 176,000 miles during its life time!
It's easy to check or clean the oil pump screen IF it's easy to remove the sump and that all depends on how the engine is installed in terms of main frame cross members etc. It can be a PITA on some modern cars, but very simple on olders ones.
Using a flush additive designed for use just before an oil & filter job is a good idea unless the engine has any oil leaks, as it can make them worse for a while cos sludge and varnish often help a split or worn oil seal function.
If it's rattling when cold, I doubt if the cause is low oil pressure.

Make sure you use an Xw40 in older or worn diesels, not an Xw30, as that can make them rattle more.

A compression check would be interesting if you have confirmed the timing is correct, although I would also take a real good look around the engine just to make sure it's not just something like a loose manifold bolt or broken mount causing the rattle.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Feb 23rd, 2017 at 20:46.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2017, 16:54   #42
sole27

it's common for this engine to suffer from collapsed lifters on high mileage ,it's hard to tell on the video but can you hear a thudding noise from the airbox area.
sole27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2017, 20:34   #43
Veedubmad

Question

Ok so a further update on my Volvo.

I have adjusted the cam sprocket back to where the original bolt marks were (advanced slightly).

It started fine and the tapping was not as prominent so took it for a drive.

No smoke and no bad smell from the exhaust however when ticking over now sounds as if running on 4 cylinders.

Can a minor adjustment of the timing (maybe 3mm advance on the bolt hole) cause this rough inning ?

Does anyone think that a small adjustment could make that much difference ?

Might move the timing back (retard slightly) towards where it was and see what effect it has!

Last edited by Veedubmad; Feb 27th, 2017 at 21:27.
Veedubmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2017, 22:21   #44
cheshired5
Premier Member

I would use the correctly locking tools to set the timing properly, punch a new cam mark if necessary then I would leave it alone.
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 06:20   #45
Veedubmad

I don't have the locking tools and correct me if you I'm wrong but that would mean removing the vacuum pump from the end of the head and the starter motor as well in order to access the locking pin holes ?

What would be the best way to determine whether any damage has occurred to the head ?

If the next timing adjustment doesn't work then am thinking of taking the head off and getting it overhauled.
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 07:38   #46
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Quote:
If the next timing adjustment doesn't work then am thinking of taking the head off and getting it overhauled.
Surely at sometime you will have to prove and set the timing correctly.
Makes sense as Cheshired5 says to do it now. At least you will know and have a starting point. You can't just carry on guessing. At least it will be one variable out of the way.
If you do the head you will still have to do the timing, and it might be purely a timing issue now.

Iain
IainG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 08:42   #47
Veedubmad

Ok point taken, next step is try and get the locking pins made based on the sizes in the Haynes manual.

Last edited by Veedubmad; Feb 28th, 2017 at 09:40.
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 22:41   #48
Veedubmad

Thumbs down

Update on progress.

Timing pins obtained and timed up correctly yet still not running right and actually sounds likes its running on 4 cylinders and lumpy.

Any suggestions as to the way forward to diagnose the problem prior to stripping the head off for a full overhaul ?

Thanks
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 23:45   #49
Premier Member

If you are absolutely sure the timing is correct, the next check should be a compression test. If that checks out ok, then it would be worth looking at the injectors; a leaky injector will cause a knock and could account for the smoke.
60041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 22:13   #50
Veedubmad

So I'm still on with my V70 project and have been reading on the net that a compression check can be done via Vida diagnostics software. Can anyone confirm this is possible before I shell out £60 for the software and OBD2 cable ?

Also if anyone has any pictures showing the location of the timing pin marks it would be appreciated ?

I have a Haynes manual but by the looks of the pictures it refers to the euro3 engine and not the Euro4!

I want to try as many checks as I can before I attempt the cylinder head removal.