Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 D5 (D5244T5) Cambelt Split on startup

Views : 10906

Replies : 70

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 23:17   #51
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedubmad View Post
Also if anyone has any pictures showing the location of the timing pin marks it would be appreciated ?

I have a Haynes manual but by the looks of the pictures it refers to the euro3 engine and not the Euro4!
Haynes is fine for timing pin locations as the Euro 3 and 4 block is the same.

The compression test is available on Vida but you also need an extra DC power source to keep the Dice awake during cranking.

I sell Dice and Vida for £100 delivered.
Mine are all tested and known working, unlike the ones on eBay, Alibaba etc.
Old Apr 18th, 2017, 21:27   #52
Veedubmad

Unhappy

So I've had the timing pins made to the drawings in the Haynes manual but neither of them seem to go into where they should. I did get them made by a precision machinist so maybe they are too accurate.

Does anyone have timing pins which they have purchased ?

If so could you help me by measuring the diameters of the different sections of the pins so I can get mine modified to the correct size ?

The more accurate measurement the better!

Any help would be appreciated ??
Veedubmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2017, 22:50   #53
Veedubmad

Does anyone have the Volvo diagnostics that could help me out by plugging my car in ?

Near LA5 post code ?
Old Apr 24th, 2017, 12:07   #54
Dave18050
DAVE18050

I have been reading this thread with interest.

I had my Aux belt go a few months ago, unfortunatly going up a big hill. I live in france and had they car taken to a local garage. Seems like the steering pump was the cause.

Cam belt was intact but car would not start. Garage said they could fix it but the cost was high €1200 just for new steering pump.

Then they said the engine was damaged. Cam belt still intact at this stage. The cost for repair was now rediculas so had the car moved to my house. However, to save money I did not get the garage to replace or reasemble any parts. On collection I noticed the cam belt had been removed. Not sure why?

I have spent some time ensuring the timing is lined up (which it was upon collection) and replaced steering pump thanks to ebay and You Tube. Last night I fittied the new auxillary belt and turned the engine over by hand. turned over but not at a constant resistance.

Tonight I will try to start the engine. Fingers crossed.

Again found this thread nvery helpful.
Dave18050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2017, 12:34   #55
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Timing pins obtained and timed up correctly yet still not running right and actually sounds likes its running on 4 cylinders and lumpy.
Quote:
So I've had the timing pins made to the drawings in the Haynes manual but neither of them seem to go into where they should. I did get them made by a precision machinist so maybe they are too accurate.
Why are you saying that you have timing pins and everything is set up correctly then you're saying that you've had timing pins made but they won't fit?
Old Apr 24th, 2017, 21:38   #56
Veedubmad

Thought I had it timed up properly using the marks.

Had the pins made to the exact size in the Haynes but obviously to a tighter tolerance than the bought ones would be.

Anyway, the engine is now timed perfectly using the pins and it is still running like its one cylinder down.

I'm going to do a compression test and see what that points to.
Old Apr 24th, 2017, 21:40   #57
Veedubmad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave18050 View Post
I have been reading this thread with interest.

I had my Aux belt go a few months ago, unfortunatly going up a big hill. I live in france and had they car taken to a local garage. Seems like the steering pump was the cause.

Cam belt was intact but car would not start. Garage said they could fix it but the cost was high €1200 just for new steering pump.

Then they said the engine was damaged. Cam belt still intact at this stage. The cost for repair was now rediculas so had the car moved to my house. However, to save money I did not get the garage to replace or reasemble any parts. On collection I noticed the cam belt had been removed. Not sure why?

I have spent some time ensuring the timing is lined up (which it was upon collection) and replaced steering pump thanks to ebay and You Tube. Last night I fittied the new auxillary belt and turned the engine over by hand. turned over but not at a constant resistance.

Tonight I will try to start the engine. Fingers crossed.

Again found this thread nvery helpful.
I'd be interested to know the outcome ?
Old Apr 29th, 2017, 11:06   #58
Dave18050
DAVE18050

Smile

Quote:
I'd be interested to know the outcome ?
Did not get round to it last week as I wanted to give the battery a good charge. I will give it a go this weekend and let you know. fingers crossed.
Old Apr 29th, 2017, 11:12   #59
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on possible damages caused by the cambelt splitting on my Volvo V70 D5 engine.

I have started stripping the engine in preparation for replacing the cam belt and have found that the aux drive belt which drives the air con (small belt) has snapped and lodged its self within the cam belt area causing it to split almost the full length of the belt but not snapping the belt.

I have turned the crank clockwise until the timing marks line up on the cam sprocket and cam belt cover and would appreciate and info on what the orientation of the crank pulley should be so I have an initial indication of whether the belt has slipped a tooth or more and whether it is worth replacing the belt and progressing the rebuild.

I have pics to show my findings but am struggling to up load them!

Thanks
you have to take off the crankshaft pulley to see the mark on the lower gear , there is no other way , you have to be accurate here !
Old Apr 30th, 2017, 14:19   #60
Dave18050
DAVE18050

Default Did not start

Well my Volvo V70 D5 did not start, it turned over but would not fire. Have cleaned injectors and double checked everything. Need to charge battery again before giving it another go. will try to upload a video to you tube.