Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 D5 (D5244T5) Cambelt Split on startup

Views : 10889

Replies : 70

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 17th, 2017, 18:28   #61
Veedubmad

So I've done a diagnostic using Vida dice and got the following results.
If anyone could give me some pointers on what may be the issue based on these results I would appreciate it ?

See attached pic of results
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8408.jpg (293.4 KB, 42 views)
Veedubmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2017, 20:14   #62
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedubmad View Post
So I've done a diagnostic using Vida dice and got the following results.
If anyone could give me some pointers on what may be the issue based on these results I would appreciate it ?

See attached pic of results
As stated in Vida, the correction tolerance is +/- 3mg so those results are near perfect and the best I've seen for a long time.
Old Jun 17th, 2017, 20:32   #63
Veedubmad

I'm new to Vida, do these figures suggest the compression is good ?
Old Jun 17th, 2017, 20:36   #64
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm new to Vida, do these figures suggest the compression is good ?
You've done a cylinder speed and fuel correction test not a compression test.

If you single click the test option in Vida, it will explain in detail.
Old Jun 17th, 2017, 21:51   #65
Veedubmad

Ok thanks will have another go
Old Jun 30th, 2017, 11:35   #66
Veedubmad

Well after commencing strip down for further investigation it quickly became apparent as to why it wasn't running very well.....

Looks like the camshaft bearing caps have taken the brunt of the force when piston and valve met with two of the bolts shearing and five of the beating caps snapping.

Would it be a good idea to replace the bearing caps and bolts and see what happens or is it a full head rebuild scenario from here, thought please ?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8416.jpg (146.1 KB, 47 views)
Old Jun 30th, 2017, 16:09   #67
Clan
Experienced Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Well after commencing strip down for further investigation it quickly became apparent as to why it wasn't running very well.....

Looks like the camshaft bearing caps have taken the brunt of the force when piston and valve met with two of the bolts shearing and five of the beating caps snapping.

Would it be a good idea to replace the bearing caps and bolts and see what happens or is it a full head rebuild scenario from here, thought please ?

Thanks
you will need another whole cylinder head now, caps are not available on their own they are individual to the cylinder head which is quite normal on cylinder heads on most cars , you will probably find that the hydraulic lifters have broken their bores in the head too .
Another thing which can happen is the cam lobes turn a small amount on the cam shaft after the forces which they went through , which results in the engine running roughly and impossible to diagnose anything wrong when you get it running again .
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 19:29   #68
SteveTDCi

Be very careful when sourcing a new head, you exhaust cam is the same as the one from an XC90 we have been working on. We have just swapped the engine and the new one has a different profile where the cam sensor picks up the signal. We had to order a new cam as it turns out a follower had failed and worn the lobe off the cam.
SteveTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2017, 20:27   #69
Veedubmad

Smile

Quick update on my Volvo repair (for those that are still taking interest in this thread)

I ended up sourcing some replacement cam bearing caps as 4 out of 6 were broken on the exhaust cam.

Also taking your guys advice and from what ive read on other forums i replaced the exhaust cam to ensure it was right the first time it went back together.!

The result is that the car started up fine without hesitation and runs (purrs) like a healthy D5 should do .

It was a long drawn out investigation but i got there in the end and now have a VERY cheap 08 reg V70 D5 estate which i intend to keep for a good while.

Cant wait to take it for a proper run and enjoy the comfort.

Thanks to all that shared their knowledge and experience in an effort to help resolve my cars issue. Appreciate it.
Old Aug 9th, 2017, 21:58   #70
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Quick update on my Volvo repair (for those that are still taking interest in this thread)

I ended up sourcing some replacement cam bearing caps as 4 out of 6 were broken on the exhaust cam.

Also taking your guys advice and from what ive read on other forums i replaced the exhaust cam to ensure it was right the first time it went back together.!

The result is that the car started up fine without hesitation and runs (purrs) like a healthy D5 should do .

It was a long drawn out investigation but i got there in the end and now have a VERY cheap 08 reg V70 D5 estate which i intend to keep for a good while.

Cant wait to take it for a proper run and enjoy the comfort.

Thanks to all that shared their knowledge and experience in an effort to help resolve my cars issue. Appreciate it.
where did you get cam bearing caps ? Be wary as they are individual to each cylinder head , they are bored with the caps screwed down so your "Foreign" ones will not have exactly the same centres as the bore in the head , so will only touch on a thin point leading to failure again sooner or later . Still , nothing lost