Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New to the forum but a few issues with my V70

Views : 920

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 10th, 2017, 14:12   #1
lotsofaddedsugar

Default New to the forum but a few issues with my V70

Hello all,

For a long time I have wanted a T5. And now I have one!

I found the forum online and I have done a bit of reading and there seems to be an awful lot of knowledge on here. I have a few issues and wanted to run them by everyone and see what your thoughts are.

2000 P2 Auto.

The car is very sluggish to pull away and feels like it is slipping, almost as if in a manual the clutch were on its way out. The revs are also restricted and will not go above 3500rpm.

I know the gearbox is a little notorious for having its issues as Volvo say it is filled for life, but given the mileage that these cars can cover without stopping for breathe this is not the case. I have checked the oil and it still has a reddish tint to it so I would of thought a oil change had been done in the not to distant past.

Any suggestions or advice for checks anyone has please do let me know.

Whilst I am a keen to take on most jobs myself I could not wish to take on some jobs without a little bit of guidance at least.

Thank you in advance
lotsofaddedsugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 18:51   #2
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Welcome to the forum unofficially (I'm not on the welcoming committee).

A few details always help; such as circumstances of sale (private sale, hodgepodge lot, main dealer used lot etc.), general condition of car and mileage.

Is crossing the T's and dotting the I's in order?
See if the ETM is clean, the fuel filter has been changed and if the spark plugs are correct and in service.

Register yourself with Volvo as the new owner of the car. Very rarely a campaign is executed by Volvo for free. At the age of your car, it is unlikely any campaigns are open but you never know.

See if the ETM or TCM is absent any update (computer re-flash).

There are times these cars go into "limp home mode". I am not familiar with what causes it or how you reset your car once it has.
It's incumbent on you to find out.

Sometimes a wipe of ATF has a "reddish tint" about the edges but is still quite dirty.
For the cost of 4 litres of fluid and a drain plug gasket you can get a good look.

Visually check both L and R handbrake shoes. This requires removal of the rear rotors. Can you do that, for example? Kira

Last edited by Georgeandkira; Oct 10th, 2017 at 19:00.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2017, 18:45   #3
lotsofaddedsugar

Thanks for the info.

To be honest it was acquired of friend of my father in law, who stopped driving last December.

Charged the battery and it started straight away.

I have already removed and cleaned the etm but it didn’t seem to make a difference. I will do a gearbox oil change at the weekend and see.

Any brand you would recommend, always been a Castrol fan personally but I know that knowledge can far outweigh a humble opinion.

Thanks for the advice on the rear hand brake it all feels fine but no harm in having a closer look.

Also browsing on here someone with a similar issue mentioned a pvc tank? I’m a little niave to this but is the rubber glove test full proof for that?

Thanks again
Old Oct 11th, 2017, 19:33   #4
Brendan W
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
Welcome to the forum unofficially (I'm not on the welcoming committee).
That's right. You missed the meeting where we voted you chairperson of the Official Welcoming Committee
Word of advice. Never miss a meeting
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 05:46   #5
cam
Premier Member

Smile

Hi mate and welcome
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 11:08   #6
FIBAMAN

Hi, new to forum having just acquired my very first Volvo(14 V70 D5); and the very first thing I find is "filled for life", funny I thought it was BMW that said that (owned 525d for last 10 years).
I would suggest as previous comments, change oil, then you know where you are starting from. It is a lottery as far as I am concerned, changed my BM gearbox oil at 98k, then hey presto - needed torque converter rebuild at 150k. Still got car actually and now on 245k so wondering what happens next.
FIBAMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 12:13   #7
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Thumbs up

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on going for a T5.
Sorry it`s giving problems .
This is a fantastic forum for help and advise.
If you`re changing the gearbox oil you must use an oil to spec. JWS3309. Otherwise you`ll trash the gearbox.
Search this forum. There`s a load of info on what to do and how to do it.
In fact read as much as you can before you do anything because you`ll understand better how your car works and what to do to fix it.
As for your car...
You say that it fired up first hit after standing. Well, that`s a good sign that there can`t be much wrong with the engine. But did it smoke? Does it rev over 3500rpm in neutral / park ? Did the previous owner know there was something not right ?
At the moment there`s a myriad of things that it could be....
Fuel starvation. EVAP system. Intercooler. Vacuum lines. Turbo. Crankcase pressure. Control modules. Are there any warnings on the dash?....
Keep posting up what you find .
VOLVOBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 13:14   #8
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

OP asked, "...I will do a gearbox oil change at the weekend and see. Any brand you would recommend...(?).

As mentioned, any 3309 spec fluid will do. Toyota Type-IV (T-IV) will work.
There are a few synthetic universals out there which cover the spec just fine. You'll find that spec on many products but not all.

Just get 4 litres for now. A trannie sump drain will yield <4. Buy a 20-30 litre keg of the stuff if you plan on doing a pump out.

FIBAMAN recalled, "...changed my BM gearbox oil at 98k, then hey presto - needed torque converter rebuild at 150k."

The time needed to drive a car 52,000 miles precludes any cause-and-effect argument and is entirely incompatible with "presto".
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 14:31   #9
FIBAMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
OP asked, "...I will do a gearbox oil change at the weekend and see. Any brand you would recommend...(?).

As mentioned, any 3309 spec fluid will do. Toyota Type-IV (T-IV) will work.
There are a few synthetic universals out there which cover the spec just fine. You'll find that spec on many products but not all.

Just get 4 litres for now. A trannie sump drain will yield <4. Buy a 20-30 litre keg of the stuff if you plan on doing a pump out.

FIBAMAN recalled, "...changed my BM gearbox oil at 98k, then hey presto - needed torque converter rebuild at 150k."

The time needed to drive a car 52,000 miles precludes any cause-and-effect argument and is entirely incompatible with "presto".
I agree, but at that time I was doing 30 / 40k a year so it seemed like no time at all.Just highlighting I am sceptical about "lifetime fill" whoever is manufacturer.
FIBAMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2017, 10:39   #10
lotsofaddedsugar

With my misses about to drop I spent the weekend doing other things in the end and didn't manage to spend any time on the car at all.

In advance I charged the battery and started up nice and easy, minimal smoke for may a few seconds.

The car does rev more freely in neutral but I haven't been tempted to go anywhere near the red line at all.

I will make the time to meet the old boy who had the car previously. But as of yet I have not done that.

I would think the car did have the problem before it was parked up, But that is nothing more than a suspicion. The car does have transmission service indicator on and the MIL light on also.

In the long run I would like to get a decent code reader but small steps at the moment.

Thanks again for the help and interest.

Tags
broken