Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Picky Differences Between Momentum and Inscription

Views : 5511

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2018, 20:14   #21
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrymanuk
Spec'd correctly ("Pro" model), I think a Momentum trim is fine for most drivers. Harder wearing seats, soft scratchy plastic dash and door panels that is easy to clean. The seats don't have full electric, but it has all the adjustment where it counts, and they just as supportive as the Inscription ones.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I picked up an R only because of the exterior styling (I love the front end on the R..) and the stiffer suspension- otherwise I would have added a few options and got me a Momentum.
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 12:58   #22
reggie59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGazzard View Post
Forum Post

My XC90 ‘66’ plate MY2017 Inscription went in today to have the Volvo OnCall and Start Stop looked at as neither have worked since I bought it a few weeks ago. After a bit of back and forth I managed to negotiate a XC90 courtesy car while they have mine. They delivered me a ‘67’ MY2018 Momentum which had quite a few differences to mine which I thought I would share for anyone considering one and not sure on the differences in trim levels.

Exterior
Inscription comes with the silver effect grill and chrome effect door trim with ‘Inscription’ in them. It also gets a square boot badge.
On the Momentum, At the back there is a silver effect “diffuser” which is quite big, and round chrome exhaust pipes. The Inscription gets wide angular ones and a much smaller chrome effect “diffuser”
I’ve noticed in the dark on the Momentum the lack of door handle lights, and illuminated door sills, which make my Inscription look really smart.

The wheels are smaller diameter with fewer chunkier spokes, although similar in design.

Interior
On the inside, it’s got the normal leather, compared to my Inscription’s Nappa Soft Leather. I’ve got to say when I was looking to buy, I wasn’t bothered by this, but having had it for a few weeks, the normal leather feels really rough and cheap. The whole dash also feels really cheap as it is plastic rather than leather. The brushed steel effect trim looks and feels plastic, compared to the metal mesh on mine. Again, I probably wouldn’t have noticed if I hadn’t been sat in the Inscription for a few weeks.
The good thing is though that there is no writing in the seats. I have no idea why a Volvo felt the need to write Inscription everywhere all over mine.
The Momentum hasn’t had the 12” driver display upgrade. It really frustrates me that Volvo offer the smaller one, it looks rubbish, info is cramped, and it can’t honestly cost that much more for the 12”. Another revenue stream I guess.

The MY2018 also has a different ignition nob, turn right to both start and stop, while mine is turn left to stop, right to start. The Momentum also has a plastic key, Inscription gets leather, although both of mine are bashed and broken.

The Momentum seemed to be missing the Individual drive mode, but it’s possible this is turned off somewhere.

Options
Both cars have 360 cameras, and I couldn’t live without them. The loaner has front and side parking sensors which are really good. I had them on my Jag and miss them on my XC90. It also has ParkIn/Out, which I haven’t tried yet.

The loaner has the panoramic sunroof, and contrary to what most people have said in the thread on this, I don’t rate it. My two year old wasn’t fussed. The blind that comes over electrically is cool, but it is thin, and street lights still come through. I found in normal light I couldn’t notice it was there, and so I guess the only reason to have it is for slightly older kids. But I imagine the novelty wears off.

The loaner is lacking the family pack and my two year old missed his integrated window blind this morning in the bright sun. Incidentally, It would be really cool if those were electric too, as he likes it down, but I have had to pull over in the past to put it up as he shouts “No sun - go away!”

The Momentum is also lacking the passenger seat memory and the ability to move the passenger seat from the driver controls which my Inscription has, and is useful when the boy is kicking the back of the seat.

That’s about all I’ve noticed, there may be other differences, let me know.
Very interesting. Just spent a week in Rome and used Uber black all week. They tend to have recent saloon although got once a Alfa Stelvio. Anyway, spending the week in many different ones sometimes with less than 2 hours between them is interesting as you really notice the difference. I was surprised how low rent the v90 is when you just spent time in a BMW 5 series. Pretty sure it was a momentum like spec as they tend to be base ones... The e class for example do not have the digital speedometer. From this post, an inscription could maybe close the gap or even nicer. Who knows. .
reggie59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 13:58   #23
Duri13

Default Some hidden differences?

Sorry for waking up this old thread but my question somehow belongs here I guess.

I have been comparing Momentum and Inscription for XC90 and trying to figure out if there are some hidden differences between these two trims. Something that is not obvious from the price list, like e.g. faster sensus, better sound insulation, etc.

This is the list of Inscription extra features (LU/BE market), which is slightly different from the UK spec but I have tried to make it look similar. Bold are items that I am already getting extra with Momentum through some added packages:
  • Nappa Soft Leather Upholstery
  • Luxury Floor Mats
  • Linear Walnut Inlays
  • 12.3" Active TFT Crystal Driver's Information Display
  • Nappa Leather Coloured Key Integrated Remote
  • Integrated Sun Curtains - Rear Doors
  • Matt Silver Front Grille
  • Roof Rails - Integrated, Silver
  • Tailored Instrument Panel and Door Tops
  • Dual Integrated Exhaust Pipes
  • 20" 10 Spoke Alloy Wheels (Diamond Cut/Light Grey) with 275/45 Tyres
  • Power Front Seats with Memory
  • LED Front Fog Lights
  • Front Seat Cushion Extensions
There are few more most likely design features, which I did not bother to include here because I think I do not care about them.

For those extra items I would need to pay extra 2445EUR.
Half of that is for 20" wheels, which by design I like more but it would require extra costs later when getting winter tyres compared to Momentum with 19". Another half would go for nicer Nappa leather, tailored instrument panel and some other silly stuff like that. And actually I am put off by Nappa leather because I keep hearing/reading it is too soft and prone to wear & tear (family with 3 kids). So overall it does not make much sense for me to get Inscription, unless there is something I do not know (or see) from the catalogue. But is there? Like those suggested items above (sensus, insulation, etc.) ...

(last days for changing my order so I am just trying to make sure I thought about everything and did not forget anything)
past: XC60 D4 FWD AT (MY 2015)
Duri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 14:03   #24
familymangreg
Premier Member

I could be wrong, but I don't believe there are any hidden differences which are not details in the price list. I've always assumed that it the case anyway!!

As for nappa leather, yes some have had problems which have been rectified my Volvo, particularly with the blonde nappe. I have 2 10 year old children, and often more in the car on the school run and my charcoal leather as stood up fine after 2.5 years use.

Note the raised roof rails on the momentum too, for me personally I much prefer the integrated ones.

:wq
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 14:12   #25
Duri13

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
Note the raised roof rails on the momentum too, for me personally I much prefer the integrated ones.
:wq
I also prefer the integrated ones but it is just a design thing, no? Or is there something else with those integrated ones?
I am trying to force myself not to go for design features now The same for integrated tail pipes, which I like more but it does not bother me much even as they look like in Momentum.
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 14:21   #26
Lexman8
Premier Member

I chose a Momentum over the Inscription because I wanted the 19" wheels for comfort and reduced noise and I really wasn't bothered about things like Nappa leather, etc. Also, I actually prefer the black grille on the Momentum.

With the money saved I was able to add other things like the aux fuel heater which is excellent. Wouldn't be without it now.
Old Feb 6th, 2019, 07:37   #27
jotka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duri13 View Post
[*]Front Seat Cushion Extensions
I guess this is a part of the "Luxury Seats" package, in't it?
jotka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2019, 09:10   #28
Duri13

Actually it is standard in the LU/BE price list (Front seats with seat cushion extension) but I added that to this list so it is in line with the UK Inscription trim and making it bold to show that it is included in my specification.

The Luxury seat pack adds these items (but I am not getting it):
  • ventilated Nappa seats
  • Side supports for front seats
  • Massage for front seats
  • 230V power outlet
Old Feb 6th, 2019, 16:49   #29
AWM

I went with the Momentum spec. for my 2019 XC60 T8, as I wanted to use my lease budget to get other features.

In NL the Inscription spec. for the T8 is almost entirely concerning luxury items like the Nappa leather, exhaust styling, larger diameter wheels etc.

I don't like the ride with larger diameter wheels (if you don't have air suspension) and the trim level in a Momentum is still pretty good, so for me it made sense to go for the Momentum trim and then add the packages/extras I wanted. I had quite a lot of money per month available for these by starting with the Momentum spec. whereas with the Inscription version I was nearly at the budget from the start, and in this region it doesn't include many non-trim type extras.

Took a bit of effort to get the optimum spec. within the budget but it's worth considering I think.

AWM
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2019, 17:03   #30
jonnyu

In my case it was the other way around.
I did the Inscription configuration with all the extras I had planed. Then, I thought "well maybe doing a Momentum configuration will allow me to customize better the car," so I did a Momentum configuration with the extras I wanted but then I chose some "unnecessary" options like for example the exterior styling. The car ended up being more expensive than the Inscription trim.
So I went back and decided to do a R-Design configuration. I rapidly got carried away with the ability of setting 21" wheels on the configuration and T5 engine (because it had to be a sporty version), added a few extras already included in the Inscription trim and boom: more 9k than the Inscription trim.

So I just gave up and chose the original Inscription configuration that was a more classy, smooth and economic configuration running on a D4 engine.