Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Another cracked windscreen.

Views : 2276

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 22nd, 2022, 15:02   #1
ThomasC91

Default Another cracked windscreen.

In around 12 months.

Same cause being my dash cam.

First time I cracked it trying to install the bloody thing taking the A pillar off.

This time cracked it pulling the dash cam off its magnet to review footage after I nearly drove over a dog that ran out on me

Is it just me being heavy handed?

I have requested Volvo OEM glass and have been told it's a 7-10 day wait to get it ordered in. I am trying a different branch of national windscreens to see if they can get it in quicker.

I've also tried autoglass. Believe my insurance uses both.

£95 excess.

I am going away Friday to Liverpool. Do I just wait and risk it? Or even go for non-oem glass? They can fit non-oem glass in time.

I'm just ****ed with myself. Own fault for being so heavy handed and rather than taken it off I pulled it off. Everything is money. Ughhh

I might carry some super glue in case.
ThomasC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2022, 15:08   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC91 View Post
In around 12 months.

Same cause being my dash cam.

First time I cracked it trying to install the bloody thing taking the A pillar off.

This time cracked it pulling the dash cam off its magnet to review footage after I nearly drove over a dog that ran out on me

Is it just me being heavy handed?

I have requested Volvo OEM glass and have been told it's a 7-10 day wait to get it ordered in. I am trying a different branch of national windscreens to see if they can get it in quicker.

I've also tried autoglass. Believe my insurance uses both.

£95 excess.

I am going away Friday to Liverpool. Do I just wait and risk it? Or even go for non-oem glass? They can fit non-oem glass in time.

I'm just ****ed with myself. Own fault for being so heavy handed and rather than taken it off I pulled it off. Everything is money. Ughhh

I might carry some super glue in case.
you should never break a screen like that they are very tough , was that a Genuine volvo screen you broke both times??
Old Aug 22nd, 2022, 15:14   #3
ThomasC91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
you should never break a screen like that they are very tough , was that a Genuine volvo screen you broke both times??
Yes, Volvo stamped.

When I first cracked it I insisted on Volvo oem and after my insurance at the time telling me I couldn't have it they then changed their mind.

I think I'm just doomed with this car. Lol. It doesn't like me. Always something wrong

Guy from national windscreens rang me back. He seemed a bit ****ed off saying I won't get OEM glass before I go away and that they all use the same distributor so I've said I'll just wait.

He's probably said that as I've rang national back moaning, I've rang autoglass and I've emailed my insurance (you can't ring them ). I'm with flow which is part of LV

Last edited by ThomasC91; Aug 22nd, 2022 at 15:16.
Old Aug 22nd, 2022, 15:25   #4
ThomasC91

Come to think of it a few days a go I heard a crack out of nowhere. It sounded like a rock or something hit my car but I didn't see any crack

That has then probably got worse.
Old Aug 22nd, 2022, 16:13   #5
Caradoc1
Caradoc1

I had a 2019 V60 and managed to devour 3 windscreens in the space of about 2 years. A common factor was that they were all hit by a stone at the very edge of the screen and the screens were heated. This leads me to wonder whether heated screens are not as strong as non-heated due to the element. Quite an expensive exercise !
Caradoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2022, 17:00   #6
Kingston1

It's frustrating.

My last company car (BMW 5 tourer) went through three screens in less than two months. On the last occasion, I had picked it up from receiving a new screen at Autoglass, only to drive five miles before another stone flew up from a lorry and hit the very top edge of the windscreen. It wasn't a big stone either - the chip on the screen edge was minute but it was enough to cause a crack to develop over the next 24 hours.

I was just relieved that it was a company car and all three screens were covered!
Kingston1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 09:42   #7
ThomasC91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caradoc1 View Post
I had a 2019 V60 and managed to devour 3 windscreens in the space of about 2 years. A common factor was that they were all hit by a stone at the very edge of the screen and the screens were heated. This leads me to wonder whether heated screens are not as strong as non-heated due to the element. Quite an expensive exercise !
Mines not heated so not sure about correlation. I have HUD.

Crack seems to start top edge of my radar system on mine which leads me to believe it wasn't the dash cam that did it, but a stone a couple of days prior and I've just noticed it when it has got bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingston1 View Post
It's frustrating.

My last company car (BMW 5 tourer) went through three screens in less than two months. On the last occasion, I had picked it up from receiving a new screen at Autoglass, only to drive five miles before another stone flew up from a lorry and hit the very top edge of the windscreen. It wasn't a big stone either - the chip on the screen edge was minute but it was enough to cause a crack to develop over the next 24 hours.

I was just relieved that it was a company car and all three screens were covered!
That's a relief. Yes, very frustrating!

They can't fit it until after the bank holiday weekend so I'm going to risk it. They got to order Volvo glass in as I don't want non volvo

It doesn't obscure my view at present and the crack, at the minute, is following the passenger side. Hoping it doesn't crack anymore and will just have to be careful on my trip.

I have emailed my insurance to see what they advise about driving it.
The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasC91 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2022, 21:12   #8
neilgorin

I reckon it's something to do with the shape.

My V60 mk2 screen went with a huge crack after a stone hit it, replaced with a genuine Volvo one by Autoglass.

Six months later, another stone hit it - tiny crack just out of the steering wheel zone, I've filled it with some sealant for now as I'm not keen on having screens replaced as the chance of them leaking or rusting is always increased. Passed MOT with no comment.

Not my record though. I had a Ford Galaxy - new screen was fitted, drove out of the trading estate and a stone thrown up by a Transit put a perfect bullseye right in the middle of it.
neilgorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2022, 06:53   #9
ThomasC91

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilgorin View Post
I reckon it's something to do with the shape.

My V60 mk2 screen went with a huge crack after a stone hit it, replaced with a genuine Volvo one by Autoglass.

Six months later, another stone hit it - tiny crack just out of the steering wheel zone, I've filled it with some sealant for now as I'm not keen on having screens replaced as the chance of them leaking or rusting is always increased. Passed MOT with no comment.

Not my record though. I had a Ford Galaxy - new screen was fitted, drove out of the trading estate and a stone thrown up by a Transit put a perfect bullseye right in the middle of it.
Yeah you can buy the epoxy stuff on Amazon but only covers small, certain chips. I would definitely have done that had it been small.

Good news is the screen came in super early so having fitted today
Old Aug 25th, 2022, 17:46   #10
key76

I am convinced that car glass is of much poorer quality than it used to be.

Before the S90, I had a string of Mercedes E Class cars in a row (3 in fact). First one did 70k and suffered numerous stones being flicked at screen - not a single mark in when I got rid, second similar, but a few wiper scratches on screen when I got rid, 3rd had significant wiper scratching after only 5k and almost every stone that hit it left a small mark (thankfully no cracks).

The S90 got a big chip from first stone that hit it, and is showing wiper scratches after 10k. I also have an OCD habit of walking round car at night after parking up and running my fingernail up the final 1inch of each side window to check they are fully closed. After only a couple of months of doing this you can see small scratches from my fingernails - never had this on any car before and had the same habit for years and years.

I'm sure the glass would pass safety tests, but it's clearly thinner, less robust and undoubtedly of lower quality than glass used to be.