Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Another cracked windscreen.

Views : 2277

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 26th, 2022, 07:13   #11
ThomasC91

Quote:
Originally Posted by key76 View Post
I am convinced that car glass is of much poorer quality than it used to be.

Before the S90, I had a string of Mercedes E Class cars in a row (3 in fact). First one did 70k and suffered numerous stones being flicked at screen - not a single mark in when I got rid, second similar, but a few wiper scratches on screen when I got rid, 3rd had significant wiper scratching after only 5k and almost every stone that hit it left a small mark (thankfully no cracks).

The S90 got a big chip from first stone that hit it, and is showing wiper scratches after 10k. I also have an OCD habit of walking round car at night after parking up and running my fingernail up the final 1inch of each side window to check they are fully closed. After only a couple of months of doing this you can see small scratches from my fingernails - never had this on any car before and had the same habit for years and years.

I'm sure the glass would pass safety tests, but it's clearly thinner, less robust and undoubtedly of lower quality than glass used to be.
Funny you say this.

I have had two other Volvo's, V40, C30. I've also had an Audi, Peugeot amongst others.

In 12 years of driving I have never had a cracked windscreen come to think of it. I've had two in the space of around 12 months with the s90.
ThomasC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 13:37   #12
key76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC91 View Post
Funny you say this.

I have had two other Volvo's, V40, C30. I've also had an Audi, Peugeot amongst others.

In 12 years of driving I have never had a cracked windscreen come to think of it. I've had two in the space of around 12 months with the s90.
I dare say it is cost cutting by manufacturers. All manufacturers.

One of the main reasons I left the Mercedes brand was due to the quality in general deteriorating over the years (while price increased) - not just glass, but things like brushed aluminium trim used to be aluminium and then changed to silver plastic that felt cheap and nasty, leather seats looked and felt noticeably lower quality leather, and many other small things you just only notice when you own several in a row.

Have to say that glass is the only area I noticed so far in the S90 where it looks like they were penny pinching. But it is my first Volvo, so I can't compare between years etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to key76 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 15:31   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by key76 View Post
I am convinced that car glass is of much poorer quality than it used to be.

Before the S90, I had a string of Mercedes E Class cars in a row (3 in fact). First one did 70k and suffered numerous stones being flicked at screen - not a single mark in when I got rid, second similar, but a few wiper scratches on screen when I got rid, 3rd had significant wiper scratching after only 5k and almost every stone that hit it left a small mark (thankfully no cracks).

The S90 got a big chip from first stone that hit it, and is showing wiper scratches after 10k. I also have an OCD habit of walking round car at night after parking up and running my fingernail up the final 1inch of each side window to check they are fully closed. After only a couple of months of doing this you can see small scratches from my fingernails - never had this on any car before and had the same habit for years and years.

I'm sure the glass would pass safety tests, but it's clearly thinner, less robust and undoubtedly of lower quality than glass used to be.
Windscreens been getting larger and larger over the last 25 years, so more unsupported area , AND more chance of being hit by flying debris , I guess they may be thinner I haven't measured a modern screen but Laminated glass used to be 6mm thick it has to be thinner or it would have a considerable weight. anyone able to measure the thickness somehow ?
I have a 1967 car which I have been driving since 1972 and have noticed in the last 5 years more stone chips than ever all over the front of the car which never happened before on the same type of journeys.

SO much bigger screens = bigger chance of being hit in the first place.

Possibly thinner glass easier to crack? they have to absorb a human head hitting it too remember.
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 18:15   #14
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

I drove around with a big crack across the passenger side of my XC70 screen for about 10 months a good few years ago. Mainly because it had just been replaced when it cracked again and I didn't want to repeat the cycle once more. I drove it with a big maybe 2 foot crack for 10 months and nothing bad happened. Didn't leak, didn't get pulled by plod etc... I then got it replaced just before the lease ran out and the car was then passed on.

It taught me just to chill out about these things a bit more.....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2022, 23:02   #15
Verion

My XC60 MY71 windscreen ended up with a huge rock smashing the passenger side. Called National Windscreens and ended up waiting 4 weeks for an oem windscreen.

Then, to top it off, after being told that they could calibrate the ADAS, they couldn’t get past the security system, so I had to take it to my local Volvo dealership.

Frustrating to say the least and every time I go anywhere with the car, I’m half expecting the windscreen to smash.
Old Sep 1st, 2022, 11:13   #16
ThomasC91

Just an update, National Windscreens had OEM glass for me within 2 days, arrived early, they did say 7-10 days.

I was very dubious thinking that I'd have loads of issues, but they've done a really good job. All systems work as they should.

Considering the state of the place, reception area was disgusting, I was expecting the worse but they were spot on.
The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasC91 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 1st, 2022, 11:15   #17
ThomasC91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
I drove around with a big crack across the passenger side of my XC70 screen for about 10 months a good few years ago. Mainly because it had just been replaced when it cracked again and I didn't want to repeat the cycle once more. I drove it with a big maybe 2 foot crack for 10 months and nothing bad happened. Didn't leak, didn't get pulled by plod etc... I then got it replaced just before the lease ran out and the car was then passed on.

It taught me just to chill out about these things a bit more.....
I was expecting my crack to get bigger on the three days I had to wait, but it didn't but glad I got it done with having big trip coming up. Ultimately, would need doing come MOT anyway
Old Sep 1st, 2022, 11:16   #18
ThomasC91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verion View Post
My XC60 MY71 windscreen ended up with a huge rock smashing the passenger side. Called National Windscreens and ended up waiting 4 weeks for an oem windscreen.

Then, to top it off, after being told that they could calibrate the ADAS, they couldn’t get past the security system, so I had to take it to my local Volvo dealership.

Frustrating to say the least and every time I go anywhere with the car, I’m half expecting the windscreen to smash.
Yes, frustrating indeed. Don't know why they couldn't get past it. Think it can be pot luck with where you go and experience of fitters
Old Apr 4th, 2023, 14:46   #19
pierredutoit1959

Default 4 cracked windscreens in 2 years

Is this common for a Volvo XC60 2021 model? My previous car, a Land Rover Discovery Sport, I had to replace a windscreen once in 4 years. I travel the same routes and had to replace the windscreen on my Volvo 4 times in 2 years. I wonder if the glass is somehow thinner and more prone to cracking when hit by a relatively small stone.
pierredutoit1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2023, 17:45   #20
Basill

After a 10 year clear run I have had 2 new screens on my 2019 V60 in two years. both cracks crept in from chips on the edge of the screen. One spotted straight after a run through a car wash with rollers ( Yea I know).
Ive since had 2 more chips in the main screen area one filled for free at the dealer and the other very small.
I had to replace a cracked the screen on My Skoda, just before I got the Volvo too.
A combination of cheaper glass and poor quality roads throwing up more debris is my guess.

I have declared the all screens on my renewal, has anyone with multiple screen replacements noticed any problems with insurance?

Last edited by Basill; Apr 4th, 2023 at 17:58.
Basill is offline   Reply With Quote