Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

courtesy light fault

Views : 1091

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 16:45   #1
penguin440

hi all, new to the forum, must say thanks for having me here.

Right, back in march i purchased a m reg 440 2.0 si auto from a lady. she had been having problems with it running rough, this after loads of time and money being spent turned out to be a loose injector wire.
anyway, i've changed dizzy cap, rotor arm, plugs, coil, idle control valve, air filter, air temp sensor, sunroof motor, central locking motor, front discs and pads, rear exhaust box and it runs like a dream.

Apart from the interior light . i'm one of these people, that, if something is fitted it should work (spent about 2 days going thru all dash lights and switch lights, i know i probably sound wierd, but i just like things to work).

the courtesy light has never worked when you open the door...any of them, i found and replaced the timer delay, still nothing, i replaced the light unit, still nothing, i replaced the boot switch, still nothing. i have power to the light unit as it works when switched manually. all of the door switches work as i've had a multimeter on them....

this is the last thing on my list to sort out, and i'm running out of ideas.....

please help....anyone.......

paul
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 17:14   #2
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin440 View Post

the courtesy light has never worked when you open the door...any of them, i found and replaced the timer delay, still nothing, i replaced the light unit, still nothing, i replaced the boot switch, still nothing. i have power to the light unit as it works when switched manually. all of the door switches work as i've had a multimeter on them....
hi penguin and welcome...
have you checked the fuse and ensured that you have current to the timer delay relay?
the switch on the light unit will run on a seperate circuit so the fact that this is working is not going to be a factor...
as you are handy with a multimeter check for continuity between the door switch and the relay and for current in at the relay....
cheers
jod
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 17:25   #3
penguin440

Quote:
Originally Posted by jod t5 View Post
hi penguin and welcome...
have you checked the fuse and ensured that you have current to the timer delay relay?
the switch on the light unit will run on a seperate circuit so the fact that this is working is not going to be a factor...
as you are handy with a multimeter check for continuity between the door switch and the relay and for current in at the relay....
cheers
jod
thanks for the response, yes fuse okay and relay fine too, guess all left is continuity test. i'd kinda thought maybe i got a bare wire or something.
thanks again

paul a.k.a penguin
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 17:46   #4
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
thanks for the response, yes fuse okay and relay fine too, guess all left is continuity test. i'd kinda thought maybe i got a bare wire or something.
thanks again

paul a.k.a penguin
paul it is unlikely that all the door earth feeds have gone at the same time so it must be a input current to the relay, or a relay to lamp fault...
my plan would be to firstly bridge between door switch and lamp, then make sure having removed the relay which socket is getting the earth feed from the door switch and bridge that to the lamp this way you will be able to eliminate which wire is u/s..it will also confirm the relays abilities.......it will almost certainly be between relay and lamp if a wire is broken but i still suspect a input current to relay + or - fault (not the switch -)
with your multimeter you should have no problems tracking it down
cheers
jod
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 17:54   #5
penguin440

thanks again jod, i suppose i should have mentioned.... if i switch the lamp to light when door is open, the light will remain on....forever, i have 2 wires on each switch, what i'd thought was that one of the wires..somewhere in the car, possibly on any of the switches was shorting out.
electrics was never my strong point.....how/what do you mean, 'bridge the switch to lamp' and 'relay to lamp'
sorry if i sound dumb, i know enough to get by with electrics, lol,
thanks again
paul
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 09:41   #6
penguin440

well after about 3 months of trying to sort this problem, i decided to check all wires to switches and relays, i found a short circuit on one wire (which was connected to all door switch wires) and it turned out to be a little orange plug behind the fusebox a yellow & white wire had been connected to a yellow and red wire, disconnected this and everything works fine....

i'm so happy..........

thanks for the replies jod
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 09:47   #7
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
well after about 3 months of trying to sort this problem, i decided to check all wires to switches and relays, i found a short circuit on one wire (which was connected to all door switch wires) and it turned out to be a little orange plug behind the fusebox a yellow & white wire had been connected to a yellow and red wire, disconnected this and everything works fine....

i'm so happy..........

thanks for the replies jod
sorry i missed your last one..., by bridge i meant to use a new piece of wire between two points, therefore cutting out everything that exists on the origional circuit between those two points...ie relay/ switch...(if that makes sense...lol...im not sure it does!!)
glad you got it sorted tho in the end, strange that by unplugging a wire you sorted it....i wonder why someone had connected it that way...
ho-hum, alls well that ends well.....
cheers
jod