Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Polestar upgrade

Views : 26173

Replies : 153

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2011, 19:21   #1
andyfromembsay

Default Polestar upgrade

Drove an R Design with a Polestar sticker on the back, but not sure if it was a 185 boosted to 205 or a 205 with 225. Either way it was v speedy. The dealer I spoke to today, however, said he reckons the 205 in the D5 is plenty.

Views? People who have the new D5 don't seem to think it's short of oomph - but I wondered if anyone had driven a 205 "before and after"? It seems you can get it for c£500 so if I'm going to get it I might as well spec it now.
andyfromembsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 20:00   #2
blank354

never sampled the polestar upgrade,test drove the 185 when i was looking and could tell the difference in performance when i drove the 205 version,maybe order the 205 and see how it suits you,upgrade later if you want more oomph!
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 20:56   #3
andyfromembsay

That's the plan at the moment, blank! At least one dealer round here is doing it for £515, but I guess the other thing is how much extra it is on insurance. Considering I only do about 9,000 miles a year and either bimble to work or up the A1 I'm not sure whether it's worth it.
andyfromembsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 22:01   #4
blank354

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfromembsay View Post
That's the plan at the moment, blank! At least one dealer round here is doing it for £515, but I guess the other thing is how much extra it is on insurance. Considering I only do about 9,000 miles a year and either bimble to work or up the A1 I'm not sure whether it's worth it.
sound just like my journey to work and back!only average about 18mph stuck in the traffic around here,its just good to know the powers there if needed,also love taking it for blast at the weekends;-)
from what I've seen form you on here you have done loads of research,so I'm sure you will pick the right options,its a top car and we love ours,spend the 500 quid on something else nice
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 22:36   #5
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfromembsay View Post
I guess the other thing is how much extra it is on insurance.
I did a quote comparison with the same provider. the chip added 3% to the premium. Apparently the chip does something favourable to fuel economy too. not sure if i hear that correctly and indeed what that saving might be.
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 19:39   #6
TrueBlue

Default I, too -

am interested in this upgrade, having just bought an '09 with all sorts of Boy's Toys (really just wanted 4C - which has disappeared from the used market).
Whoops - have just noticed that this thread is on the XC60 forum, and mine is an XC70 - however, the issues are the same - read on -

To continue, I'm finding that the get up and go is sluggish when compared to my previous '06 XC70, so a bit more welly would be nice.

What I do want, however, is better fuel economy.
Now, it occurred to me that the Polestar ups the horses to 205 - which is the same as the 2010 models, and given that the "official" figures indicate that the consumption is the same as the 185hp version - I'm wondering if that is for "political" reasons; CE and other standards etc?

Soo, can anyone say that fuel consumption is better, and by how much?
TrueBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 20:08   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

The fuel economy cant be any better ( as volvo quote) when you want economy you are using light throttle , that area of the mapping is going to be the same as the standard engine ... volvo will already have mapped this for the very best emissions and therefore efficiency in the factory , to be honest the fuel economy is going to be worse because you dont spent £600 + and not use the extra power do you ...
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 20:55   #8
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The fuel economy cant be any better ( as volvo quote) when you want economy you are using light throttle , that area of the mapping is going to be the same as the standard engine ... volvo will already have mapped this for the very best emissions and therefore efficiency in the factory , to be honest the fuel economy is going to be worse because you dont spent £600 + and not use the extra power do you ...
Am I the only one who cannot understand what is being said in this post?

Clan, perhaps you could try to clarify what you are saying, currently it is extremely confusing.
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 21:22   #9
Ransman
Master Member

I was seriously looking at a box from these guys for my Zafira until I found out the insurance was going to cost a lot more.

http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/...el-tuning.html

From the many testimonials, mpg appears to be markedly improved.
Ransman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 22:17   #10
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Am I the only one who cannot understand what is being said in this post?

Clan, perhaps you could try to clarify what you are saying, currently it is extremely confusing.
he's saying that volvo will have already tuned the car as efficiently as possible. there won't be any benefits. in fact it will be worse because you'll be taking advantage of the extra horses by having a heavier right foot.

i'm paraphrasing, so if you don't agree, don't shoot the messenger!
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote