Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone here got their D5 chipped or Tuned?

Views : 881

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2011, 11:04   #1
XC90Fan

Default Anyone here got their D5 chipped or Tuned?

Just wanted to know if it is worth it? Does it really improve performance noticeably? Does it improve MPG? What impact it has on your insurance? On adverse effects on the car?

Can you suggest any chip's or companies to get it tuned by?
XC90Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 14:43   #2
bluey_xc90

Definitely worth it - had my 04 rica tuned to 205bhp and different beast. No lag on take off anymore and much more driveable. On the mpg I still get about 33mpg on a motorway run at 70-80mph average - so similar or slightly above normal. Done 55k miles in it so far and intercooler probably wore out slightly earlier (changed at about 78k).
bluey_xc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 16:29   #3
XC90Fan

who did you get it tuned by? and did it effect your insurance premium?
XC90Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 19:19   #4
bluey_xc90

Was by an independent (5 years ago) who are no longer RICA suppliers. On the insurance I've changed a fair bit and from no difference to about £50.
bluey_xc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 22:31   #5
JimG
Premier Member

I know that the Polestar upgrades have been popular, and they are supported by Volvo.

There was a thread not too long ago about peoples experiences with Polestar, everyone who had it done said that it was worth it. Have a search around if you fancy it.

Jim.

www.alignmycar.co.uk
www.rearfacing.co.uk
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 09:32   #6
don kalmar union
Trader

Default MTE Software for D5 engines.

I can offer you MTE's Swedish written software for Volvo's D5 engines for £435 including VAT.

For the earlier D5s this MTE product will give you outputs of 195bhp with 410nm of torque, the later D5s will give 220bhp with 475nm of torque.

You install this software yourself with MTE's unique Softloader device that acts as an interface between an XP or Windows 7 equipped laptop and your car's OBD port. I loan the softloader device against a returnable deposit of £155, if you do buy it outright it does allow you to swap between MTE and standard Volvo software at will, with your laptop. You can find some comprehensive videos on MTE's Softloader system if you visit www.ipdusa.com the site of their North American distributor.

One particular point with this MTE system is that you can ensure that all Volvo's latest software updates have been flashed into your car prior to installing MTE's product which then ensures that all that later Volvo software is kept as part of those final MTE callibrations.

You may well find more up to date and comprehensive accounts of various owners' experiences to date with other aftermarket offerings if you visit and search at www.t5d5.org where most UK owners of late model modified Volvos tend to congregate.

Regards, Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com

Last edited by don kalmar union; Jul 30th, 2011 at 09:44. Reason: spelling....
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote