Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is there any info on fitting a volvo t5 engine

Views : 2002

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 7th, 2013, 22:23   #1
beario

Default Is there any info on fitting a volvo t5 engine

In to a 70 amazon....seen a few on YouTube but never found any build threads on fitting the t5 turbo engine and box...
Also has anyone ever converted the steering box to rack and pinion???
Many thanks...
beario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 23:00   #2
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Talking

its not a easy job i belive the firewall will need hacking about a bit and then its pretty straight forward then you can buy the engines new on a pallet ready to shoe horn into the engine bay £1500 + vat last i heard would secure you one.

exhaust is easy enough to make that work , main issue is getting the engine sat in and bolted in place correctly then connecting it up to drivetrain the handy thing about the crossmembers is if you can fit an engine in the bay and hold it in place its a job done the rest is just eye candy RHD cars do have a bug tho on steering as that side of the engine is always the side with lots going on manifolds etc .

i wish i could help more but this is one task im building up to so maybe hunt for V8 conversions and use there route as a foundation for the T5

please post back any info you may find out as it could helps others like us starting a T5 conversion or any of us brave enough to tackle it lol

deep pockets i think help good luck and keep the info flowing chaps that have done this

kind regards
robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 23:09   #3
beario

Hi cheers cutting bulkhead and tunnel out is no problem...I have been looking and a complete running t5 can be bought for as little as £300.00...
So that massive money saved....
The Following User Says Thank You to beario For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 23:15   #4
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

yeah if you check the images out on the net the VOX amazon estate is runing this conversion setup so may help you get some dimensions of sorts or what to aim for when hacking .... good idea like gaining a cheap runaround and using that as a donor

keep us posted

regards

robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 23:40   #5
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800necwinner View Post
yeah if you check the images out on the net the VOX amazon estate is runing this conversion setup so may help you get some dimensions of sorts or what to aim for when hacking .... good idea like gaining a cheap runaround and using that as a donor

keep us posted

regards

robert
The Vox car is a tube chassis and converted to strut towers, so there is a lot more involved with that car.. Here is a firewall kit that I use on my conversion build cars.. I have really just eliminated the heater box section and didn't have to do any mods to the fender wells, and that is with the LS3 V8 in it.

Classic Auto Glass Innovations
Flush Mount Glass
Classicautoglassinnovations.com
Iamtheonlyreal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamtheonlyreal1 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 23:54   #6
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

hi ya

yup that would be the kit you would need it would help out no end and i think you sell them via your website so may well be worth a look at for any conversions like this , thats why i have paid close attention to all your postings you have been doing and products you have been working on for future projects i may have use for them

regards

robert

Old Dec 7th, 2013, 23:57   #7
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800necwinner View Post
hi ya

yup that would be the kit you would need it would help out no end and i think you sell them via your website so may well be worth a look at for any conversions like this , thats why i have paid close attention to all your postings you have been doing and products you have been working on for future projects i may have use for them

regards

robert
I don't offer them yet, but if someone needs one, I would be happy to share them.

Classic Auto Glass Innovations
Flush Mount Glass
Classicautoglassinnovations.com
Iamtheonlyreal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamtheonlyreal1 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 00:08   #8
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The 5 pot will fit without chopping the bulkhead but the trans tunnel could need some work depending on what gearbox you opt for.

the sump is also a issue, in a 240 you would use the 960 sump but there are clearance issues with the amazon. A dry sump could be a better option with a Amazon T5 conversion.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 00:21   #9
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

niceone looks like this thread is taking off very nicely with some wise advise being posted keep the info coming guys all helpful stuff i will be following this with intrest !?!
just make sure you use the right car as a foundation anything to good i try to go down the original route first but if lots of work is involved then otherwise cars can be lost so if this is another option its all grand in my eyes so dont be shy post post post ........ or read if its useful to some then its gotta be worth it share the knowledge i say

regards

robert

Old Dec 8th, 2013, 09:30   #10
beario

Would any one have any pics they could share on the thread...not I tested in a v8 as the ls engine in uk is a lot of money,and what I'm trying to achieve is an engine swop,with some fun on a average w mans wages,not crazy money which a lot of builds seem to be these days...
While on this subject if there are any other swops that have been done please post pics...
Are these 5x108 pcd...