Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 engine oil

Views : 24022

Replies : 55

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 25th, 2016, 13:05   #21
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merley View Post
Have seen the posts for D4 engine oil - I have also been trying to track down the Castrol Edge Professional V 0w-20 engine oil as I had a message on my V40 D3 this morning saying 'low oil level'. This surprised me at just 7000 miles but like others am having difficulty tracking it down.
Any suggestions if it is 'normal' to get an oil morning at this mileage in a 6 month old car and where I can get this oil??
If it is still in warranty see the dealer , low oil messages in the D4204t5 engines are not necessarily correct people are overfilling them after seeing the message ...

If in doubt , drain all the oil out including the filter and put back in just 4.9 litres NO MORE ... see how it goes .
Old Mar 25th, 2016, 13:25   #22
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymcp View Post
According to the manual, the correct oil for the new D4 is Castrol Edge Professional V 0W-20, which seems to be rather difficult to track down.

Does anyone know if you only get this from dealers, or is there a reliable place to source some? I'm used to having a spare oil carton in the garage but on the few times I've gone to get one Google seems to come up short.....

Thanks,

Andy
This is scarce at present , Volvo have just started developing oil especially for their new engines , It has a classification of it's own much like the german brands of car .

Volvo have warned that it can affect emissions and engine life if other grades are used and certainly warranty will be void of course .ll :-)

Castrol Edge Professional V 0W-20 or VCC RBS0-2AE 0w20

is the correct spec for the New VEA engines

It is available from dealers , TOTAL have just introduced it , but it is unlikely they will retail in in Litre bottles due to lack of demand . ask them ...
Old Mar 25th, 2016, 15:35   #23
GMcL
0's and 1's

F*u*c*hs have TITAN GT1 PRO V SAE 0W-20

or,

http://www.reifendirekt.de/cgi-bin/oshop.pl got to Viskosität and enter your 0-20

Apparently the recommended oil is not available in the US of A, Texas of all states ironically:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...pec_not_availa

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS

Last edited by GMcL; Mar 25th, 2016 at 17:16.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 08:29   #24
Marc01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merley View Post
Have seen the posts for D4 engine oil - I have also been trying to track down the Castrol Edge Professional V 0w-20 engine oil as I had a message on my V40 D3 this morning saying 'low oil level'. This surprised me at just 7000 miles but like others am having difficulty tracking it down.
Any suggestions if it is 'normal' to get an oil morning at this mileage in a 6 month old car and where I can get this oil??
Does you car have a dipstick? If not do not top it up take it to the dealer, I have covered 22k with no issue with oil. BUT I did get s low oil message, called Volvo assist and they overfilled my engine as it was actually at the correct level, which is 5.2l for the D4 190 VEA

Clan where did you get the 4.9l from? My car was drained down to that by the local dealer which caused the low oil level warning, I have been informed by 3 separate dealers that the correct range is 5.2-5.4 as soon as it hits 4.8 it will throw a warning.
The onboard oil level sensor will only show overfilled-correct level or low, and not in between, making self top up not an easy task.
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 20:15   #25
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc01 View Post
Does you car have a dipstick? If not do not top it up take it to the dealer, I have covered 22k with no issue with oil. BUT I did get s low oil message, called Volvo assist and they overfilled my engine as it was actually at the correct level, which is 5.2l for the D4 190 VEA

Clan where did you get the 4.9l from? My car was drained down to that by the local dealer which caused the low oil level warning, I have been informed by 3 separate dealers that the correct range is 5.2-5.4 as soon as it hits 4.8 it will throw a warning.
The onboard oil level sensor will only show overfilled-correct level or low, and not in between, making self top up not an easy task.
Incorrect data there ..

the first sign of low level is at 3.9 litres ( orange light )

The next warning layer is when it gets down to 3.7 litres ( red light )

And Too high a level is first shown at 5.4 litres Yellow light )

so that is an effective safe window of just 1.5 litres . (3.9 - 5.4 litres)

Volvo say that the correct volume after a service should be "about 4.8 litres" ...
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 21:05   #26
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Incorrect data there ..

the first sign of low level is at 3.9 litres ( orange light )

The next warning layer is when it gets down to 3.7 litres ( red light )

And Too high a level is first shown at 5.4 litres Yellow light )

so that is an effective safe window of just 1.5 litres . (3.9 - 5.4 litres)

Volvo say that the correct volume after a service should be "about 4.8 litres" ...
The handbook says the quantity is 5.2 litres for the D4 VEA Clan. Have Volvo changed the amount without updating the handbook? It also says not to add more than 0.5 litre until you get a low oil warning or the level is showing 25% to the low level warning.

My electronic oil level warning display is split into 4 increments so easy to see where the oil level is at. Also my oil level is totally stable. It corresponds to my physical dipstick very well so I do have more faith in it now. The handbook gives 5.9 litres as the quantity for the D5 XC60.
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 22:15   #27
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
The handbook says the quantity is 5.2 litres for the D4 VEA Clan. Have Volvo changed the amount without updating the handbook? It also says not to add more than 0.5 litre until you get a low oil warning or the level is showing 25% to the low level warning.

My electronic oil level warning display is split into 4 increments so easy to see where the oil level is at. Also my oil level is totally stable. It corresponds to my physical dipstick very well so I do have more faith in it now. The handbook gives 5.9 litres as the quantity for the D5 XC60.
Hi Roy you have a 5 cylinder D5 and a D4 VEA ?
confusing now as both are different , I quoted above for VEA direct from VIDA which is always the correct figures . .. Handbooks are notorious for either being well out of date , wrong or figures from prototypes perhaps before being amended once the cars have been out for a short while . On the other hand , Handbooks contain some info you will not find anywhere else !

For the D5 they do quote 5.9 but in practice 5.7 will end any high oil level messages coming up .
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 22:36   #28
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Hi Roy you have a 5 cylinder D5 and a D4 VEA ?
confusing now as both are different , I quoted above for VEA direct from VIDA which is always the correct figures . .. Handbooks are notorious for either being well out of date , wrong or figures from prototypes perhaps before being amended once the cars have been out for a short while . On the other hand , Handbooks contain some info you will not find anywhere else !

For the D5 they do quote 5.9 but in practice 5.7 will end any high oil level messages coming up .
No Clan just the D5, but the handbook covers both engines. Maybe D4 owners get an update sheet with the handbook. Easy to see how the wrong amount gets quoted because when you speak to a dealer the sales department usually look in the handbook when you query something they are not sure about. At my dealer at least where the person who sold the car is responsible for any queries you have.

As a matter of interest I've found the 4 increments on my electronic oil display equal 0.25 of a litre for each increment. Mine came back from it's first service showing full and I was a bit nervous so took out 0.25 of a litre just in case, but in fact it's been rock steady so I'm not worried about it anymore. I'm talking about the D5 for anyone speed reading this, not the D4.
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 09:46   #29
cfpg02

Default What conditions are needed to check the oil on D4 engine?

Hi folks. I had the warning message to add 0.5L oil pop up last night on my 2014 V60 D4 181hp . Before I do that I want to check the oil level. I worked out how to get the oil level icon and level gauge up on the display but it just says "not available". The manual says "the right conditions must be met" to display the oil level but doesn't say what they are!
I tried when parked up on the level with the engine still warm and again this morning with the engine cold and not started, but can't get it to display the level.
I rang Volvo assist and they can't help. They had no advice and won't send anyone out as I have no permanent warning light showing. Rang the dealer and they will only say "bring it in", and they are full for 2 weeks!
I don't want to run it with low oil and I don't want to risk overfilling either so I'd really like to be able to check the level. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by cfpg02; Mar 31st, 2016 at 11:52.
cfpg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 13:13   #30
wilbydoughboy

I would drain all the oil out via the sump drainage hole, collect all the oil and measure how much has been drained. Make sure the car has drained all the oil by leaving for a while. Drain when warm and car positioned so it drains towards sump drainage hole. Put the correct amount of oil back, I would use the drained oil and add if needed. Use a new washer on bolt and torque up.