Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DPF Regeneration

Views : 23929

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 2nd, 2010, 11:43   #1
Lexon

Question DPF Regeneration

XC60 AWD D5 Auto
I have just read the AA's info on particulate filter regeneration. I have noticed the awful smell when mine is regenerating. Is the system on the XC60 passive or active regeneration?
We get no warning lights to indicate it is required or taking place as some vehicles do. I do a lot of short journeys and the AA report says the regeneration takes place on motorway trips or longer journeys when exhaust gasses are hotter.Is there any danger of the filter blocking and if I do notice it regenerating i.e smell and fuel consumption would I be advised to take the car for a longer run say 15 minutes to complete the regeneration?
Lexon

Last edited by Lexon; May 2nd, 2010 at 13:58.
Lexon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:09   #2
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

If you drive mainly long journeys (20min, 20mls plus, 60mph+) then you should not have a problem. If you do a lot of short journeys the internet is full of reports of blocked filters because they cannot clean themselves properly.

You really need a decent drive occasionally (weekly????) to keep your filter clean.

I have heard it said that DPF equipped cars are not suitable for city only use at all. I think it was one of the big motoring associations that said this but I am not positive if it was.

I understand that the 4 cylinder (Ford) engines have a chemical added automatically to the fuel every time you open the fuel cap that helps with DPF cleaning but that the 5 cylinder (Volvo) engines do not need it.

Both will have a program that recognises filter problems & TRIES to do something about it.
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisE For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 12:49   #3
DPFexpert

Default DPF regeneration

You mentioned the Ford additive. A number of OEM's use this kind of additive to aid rapid regeneration of DPF's. The product is a type of Fuel bourne catalyst (FBC). Its principal advantage if rapidregeneration of soot in a DPF with only short temperature spikes. Without an FBC a blocked filter would need several hours of high temperature operation to regenerate all the soot.

This kind of FBC is now available from numerous car spares factors including Euro car parts and GSF. Its called PatFluid. Add 75 ml's to every other tank o fuel, and you will see a world of difference.
DPFexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DPFexpert For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 21:04   #4
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPFexpert View Post
You mentioned the Ford additive. A number of OEM's use this kind of additive to aid rapid regeneration of DPF's. The product is a type of Fuel bourne catalyst (FBC). Its principal advantage if rapidregeneration of soot in a DPF with only short temperature spikes. Without an FBC a blocked filter would need several hours of high temperature operation to regenerate all the soot.

This kind of FBC is now available from numerous car spares factors including Euro car parts and GSF. Its called PatFluid. Add 75 ml's to every other tank o fuel, and you will see a world of difference.
Are these fluids not designed for active regeneration DFPs unlike the XC60 Passive regeneration DPF. The Ford additive is called Eolys and it is only for active DPFs (I believe it damages the catalyst in a passive DPF)

I think that I would be very, very careful about using these additives.
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 21:07   #5
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post

I have heard it said that DPF equipped cars are not suitable for city only use at all. I think it was one of the big motoring associations that said this but I am not positive if it was.

I understand that the 4 cylinder (Ford) engines have a chemical added automatically to the fuel every time you open the fuel cap that helps with DPF cleaning but that the 5 cylinder (Volvo) engines do not need it.
It was the AA who gave this advice and the Ford additive is added during the service of the car and it is constantly fed into the fuel system to keep the DPF clear. The Ford DPF technology is different from that used on Volvo
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 00:33   #6
rkennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Are these fluids not designed for active regeneration DFPs unlike the XC60 Passive regeneration DPF. The Ford additive is called Eolys and it is only for active DPFs (I believe it damages the catalyst in a passive DPF)

I think that I would be very, very careful about using these additives.
Correct - do not mix up active and passive DPF systems. If you add an inappropriate additive for the DPF system on your car you will end up with a very big bill!!
I had better qualify that statement. You can get active and passive regeneration in the same system - passive regeneration takes place automatically if you have the exhaust temperature at a high enough level - normally about 600 deg C. Control and monitoring of the DPF is carried out by using heated oxygen sensors and temperature and pressure differential sensors. You can achieve this temperature through high engine loads and/or high speed motorway driving. Active regeneration takes place when the exhaust temperature does not reach the temperature required. The ECU then alters,among other things, the fuel injection timing, glow plug activation and throttling which raises the temperature. This active regeneration can give problems with fuel reaching the sump (we have a very active thread on this subject - oil level).The regeneration, active or passive, is started when the differtial pressure across the DPF reaches a certain value.
Very recent models (like the XC60) have the DPF located immediately after the oxidation catalytic converter which in turn bolts on to the turbo (which is very hot!).Fuel additives eg Eolys are used when the particulate filter cannot get up to the required temperature because of its location in the exhaust system, generally due to space requirements, as it is located too far downstream from the engine.

Last edited by rkennedy; Sep 16th, 2010 at 01:17.
rkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rkennedy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 16:20   #7
dufeua

a good summary except passive is not dependant on differential pressure but min exhaust temp. This is my understanding of it but bulletin does apply to a truck - should imagine the theory is the same??. Got anything from Volvo cars?

http://www.volvo.com/NR/rdonlyres/71...nctionD13F.pdf
dufeua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 21:13   #8
wilbydoughboy

I have had my xc for 1 year and covered 8500 miles many of them miles have been short distances of less than a mile or two and apart from having to have an oil level upgrade to the software I have had no problem as regards a pong or any other problems. The car was sold to me with no reference to it being unsuitable for short journeys and with a 3 year warranty this should cover anything that should crop up as regards the blocking of the filter. I do believe that the filter can be disposed of if problems to surface but why worry whilst under warranty and the sale of goods act.
wilbydoughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 21:23   #9
Nick44
Ex 850/V70 Register Keepe

You guys may be intersted in this.
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=99488
Old Feb 4th, 2016, 22:05   #10
T0nymurphy

Just purchased a 2011 V60 D3 2L Diesel to replace an old V40 and took it to my local garage to give it a once over. They did a diagnostic check which generated a fault code and description (P245868 DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER REGENERATION DURATION (BANK 1) ALGORITHM PHASED FAILURE EVENT).

They suggested I get it checked out just in case there's an issue that leads to a blocked filter.

Does anyone know if this would be expected if the active regeneration fails due to a short dual carriageway run (3 miles) on the way to the garage? And would it clear the code once taken out on a decent motorway run?

Thanks
T0nymurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T0nymurphy For This Useful Post: