Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help front brakes MOT failure

Views : 919

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 25th, 2013, 11:04   #1
coaster22

Default Help front brakes MOT failure

Car was sailing through MOT until front brakes were tested on the rollinh road. Showed a big imbalance, suspect they are partially seized and need an overhaul. Have done 4 pot brakes on a TVR and they were a pig of a job. The mechanic who tested the car said that it could be done without removing the calipers !, I have my doubts. Has anybody out there any experience on this one, just ordered seal sets from Ray Chapman in Malton.
Car also failed on battery tray and fixing but got a new( ish ) one from T.J.Stone for a couple of quid complete with fixings.
Did intend a full strip down if the car failed the MOT but there so few faults and its a joy to drive that the stripdown is waiting until winter. Cheers
coaster22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to coaster22 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2013, 12:49   #2
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I've never replaced calipers or seals even on high mileage cars.
All they need is a bit of brake fluid running round the edge for lubrication, then leaver the pistons in with a suitable tool. Insert some old worn out pads to give maximum movement, then press the pistons out again with the pedal.
Do this as many times as necessary, and they always free up.

Don't press the pedal very far each stroke, use a series of short strokes with a pause in between.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2013, 16:06   #3
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Good old Ray Chapmans at Malton. They are really helpful guys there. Unfortunately Im there that often Im now on first name terms with the guys in the parts department.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antz For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2013, 21:55   #4
coaster22

Cheers Mr Pope, your advice will be my starting point tomorrow suspect any sticking is close to the dust cover end anyway, will let you Know.
Cheers Antz, that will be Steve Worsley at Chapmans, they are excellent. Thanks for the recommend. Coaster
Old Jun 25th, 2013, 23:03   #5
cookie
Lord B on T5D5.org

whip out pads, good clean up and grease on guides etc, and put back together, usually find just stuck with loads of rust, dust and general crud
cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cookie For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 18:33   #6
heckflosse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster22 View Post
Car was sailing through MOT until front brakes were tested on the rollinh road. Showed a big imbalance, suspect they are partially seized and need an overhaul. Have done 4 pot brakes on a TVR and they were a pig of a job. The mechanic who tested the car said that it could be done without removing the calipers !, I have my doubts. Has anybody out there any experience on this one, just ordered seal sets from Ray Chapman in Malton.
Car also failed on battery tray and fixing but got a new( ish ) one from T.J.Stone for a couple of quid complete with fixings.
Did intend a full strip down if the car failed the MOT but there so few faults and its a joy to drive that the stripdown is waiting until winter. Cheers
Whilst I agreethe pistons can sometimes be freed off enough to pass, if you are really planning on keeping the car, new calipers are going to be the way to go.
The imbalance part of the test got hotter this week, and standards are creeping up.Old cars need to be good.
Besides, having good brakes is part of the pleasure of driving a classic Volvo- try a contemporary Ford for comparison.
Regards,
James.

Last edited by heckflosse; Jun 26th, 2013 at 18:34. Reason: error
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heckflosse For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 07:12   #7
coaster22

Cheers, your'e right on this one will get the car through the MOT then on the re-build fit new or overhaul the calipers. I have used a company called Big Red before and they are good on rebuilds. Will certainly be keeping this car for a long long time. Have tried to find my old Volvo 240 reg REM 40T which we owned back in 1988, wondered if it was still out there, is there any way of tracing cars from the registration ?
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 10:20   #8
DW42

You can check whether the car has a current tax disc on the DVLA website. Your old Volvo REM40T hasn't been taxed since 1994, but hasn't been officially scrapped either. Could be sitting in some field, barn or allotment... When I left the UK last year I sold both of my volvos (a 144 and a 240) in very good working order. Now the 240 is unregistered, and the 140 is SORN'ed. Most people don't look after their cars...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DW42 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 18:28   #9
minesa240x3
loyalty

Ah REM40T that would be the green one first registered in Liverpool with the 2127cc engine,Road fund license was due on 5-2-1994.

For tax checking and to see if it's vanished taxed or sorn go to www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk.
Once the tax disc page opens go to vehicle enquiry, Then vehicle enquiry continue, Fill in the reg at the top, Scroll down the list of vehicles click on submit and all will be revealed unless it's been scrapped officially and then nothing comes up.
And to see where it was first registered go to www.regarchive.com.
Just enter the reg in the box top right and if found it will appear to the left lower down in red,Hover over it and it will turn green, Just click on it and all will be revealed.

To check if a vehicle is currently insured go to www.ownvehicle.askmid.com
Fill in the reg number and click the little box to confirm it's YOUR vehicle. enter the squiggly password and click the big green button with askmid at the bottom.

Regards Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to minesa240x3 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2013, 15:55   #10
coaster22

Cheers for that info , will be having a look at these sites , I still have a few family pics with it on, but it was a chocolate brown one with a full webasto folding roof ( saloon ), bought for c £750 in Ormskirk, Lancashire. Cheers again