Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

fitting T-5 wheels onto a P1800 (how can i change the PCB?)

Views : 976

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 22:43   #1
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Default fitting T-5 wheels onto a P1800 (how can i change the PCB?)

Hello

after a lot of thinking & planning today i've decided the only wheels for Penelope are 850 T-5 alloys, but i know the PCB is wrong for the 1.8 P1800. How is best to change the PCB so they fit

i believe 2.litre P1800's have the correct PCB for what i need, can i change the rear drums (are they on drums?) & front hubs so they fit? Can the existing hubs/drums simply be redrilled? Or would getting an engineering shop to make up some conversion rings be a better/cheaper option. Or are there any other ways i can get them to fit?

many thanks Duane
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 22:52   #2
JIM C
Forum Support Team

Another issue is the T5 wheels will have a different offset being FWD going onto a RWD. Also I think the later P1800 with the correct PCD had disc brakes on the rear.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 22:54   #3
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM C View Post
Another issue is the T5 wheels will have a different offset being FWD going onto a RWD. Also I think the later P1800 with the correct PCD had disc brakes on the rear.
can't the offset be corrected using spacers? in which case the conversion rings might be the better bet as it'll be killing 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak

thanks for the info about the brakes
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 22:57   #4
JIM C
Forum Support Team

Yes, thats what I had thought too.
But I don`t know enough about the spacers.
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 09:25   #5
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Hi Pedro,

I'd look into conversion rings as you'd need to change the whole rear axle, hand brake set up, and change the flange over on the prop to diff to fit the later cars rear set up. Possibly other bits too.
I know that some may disagree, but I don't think that for the hassle involved there is much advantage either (certainly for road use) in changing over to rear disk brakes on an earlier P1800. This is taking for granted that your present system is in good working order.
I have some bolt on splines fitted to my '66 P1800 that enables it to take Mk 2 Jag wire wheels.
Any decent machine shop should be able to help you as long as you get your specifications right.

Let us know how you get on.

Gordon
Gordon Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 09:37   #6
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

cheers Gordon

it does sound alot of work to swop the rear axle, & as far as i know her current axle hasn't got any issues

i already know of a good machine shop (Chesman engineering) who will have no problem with making anything up. I've already got them lined up to make some wheel adaptors for BT once i can afford to get her new wheels

the current thinking is get 2 conversion rings made up for the front axle. & get the rear studs cut flush, & the drums redrilled with the new stud pattern. The drums should have enough surface area so the gap between the existing holes & the new ones shouldn't be enough to cause any weakness, i hope

many thanks people
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:09   #7
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

i didnt think the p1800 was young enough to have any PCBs !.

i think the axle swap is easy enough - just a word of warning tho , redrilling the hubs can be done , as im finding out the wheel studs have a 16mm shank where they fit in to the hub on a 7/9 series axle (redrilling to ford) - and it gets really close to not being able to do it , so make sure you check disassemble and measure it before you go down that route .
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:19   #8
barney paull-edwards
B.P-E

Default Wheel change.

Given a machine shop, its not a big problem, You will need a 35mm (?)plate,drilled T-5 PCD on one side and drilled P1800 on the other. Recess the P1800 side and fit T-5 studs(12x1.5 I think) on the other.Bolt on and go! The thickness of the plate is the difference in offset in order to compensate for wheel offset.
barney paull-edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 14:32   #9
EJH

Default wheel change

Probably no help at all, but I have just fitted a new set of gorgeous Minilite alloys to my '68 1800S. They are 1 inch wider than the originals, but bolt straight on. They are available from stock from Minilite and the original tyres can be re-used. They are not too expensive either at less than £100 each and are dead 'in period' being offered as an option back in the '60s. The standard saloon car wheels and hubcaps are a real dissappointment on a sports car. A decent set of alloys totally transform the look...?...!!:

Last edited by EJH; Nov 4th, 2007 at 14:37.
EJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 14:43   #10
JIM C
Forum Support Team

I could be tempted for my Amazon. I priced them a few months ago and for 4 wheels £411. Classy period wheels.