Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heater- always hot?

Views : 771

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 30th, 2007, 20:55   #1
allende

Default Heater- always hot?

Hi,

1961 Amazon, B16 engine.

The heater is always hot. Very hot in fact. The control levers make no difference at all to the temp- they are operating correctly in that they move the small arms on the heater. But it is always hot. Don't mind now but would like to get it sorted before the summer as it is unbearable!

Engine is out at the moment so access is no problem. Any ideas as to what to check or replace? I have another second hand heater unit for any spares...
allende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 20:57   #2
JIM C
Forum Support Team

The heater valve must be faulty.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 21:00   #3
AidanC

Maybe this?

http://www.cvi-automotive.se/webshop...cle/673452.jpg

Its the Värmekontrollventil apparently!
AidanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 21:27   #4
allende

Ahhh, the old Värmekontrollventil!!

It's not in stock there. Right, will try my spare one and see if that's OK. Anyone know if they can be refurbed or not?

Thanks for the help.
allende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 22:22   #5
AidanC

As far as I know, they're not easily refurbed. You could enjoy the heat for the winter and do a little creative and temporary plumbing to bypass the heater cor e for the summer - that's the way it works for me - my good intentions tend to have lifespans of years instead of the days or weeks that I think that they have.

Try Brookhouse and Amazon Cars - failing that, try VP Autoparts in Sweden or if your wallet stretches to it, Scandcar in the Netherlands. Someone must have one in stock, though CVI did make a bit of a song and dance about getting the valves remade for them. I wouldn't bother with secondhand stuff though for something like that - all the donor cars are getting on a bit now... Maybe CVI can advise an expected restocking date. They're normally prompt when replying to emails.
AidanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 08:34   #6
Brian M

Before replacing the valve have you confirmed that the cable is moving the arm as far as it will go.

Had this problem on mine a couple of years ago and while the cable seemed to be moving the arm on the valve, I found I could push the lever about an inch further towards the off position.

Adjustment of the cable and modifying the fixing arrangement cured the problem.

Brian M
1970 Volvo Amazon and 1978 Safari 14/2
Brian M is offline   Reply With Quote