Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

LED headlight bulb upgrade

Views : 1675

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 25th, 2023, 15:06   #21
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I know yeah, I did post all about that that on page 1 of this thread but for some reason the screen shot of the regs got deleted by imgbb, copyrighted or something maybe I dunno, or someone made a complaint and reported it for some reason

you can get away with it if you buy a designed-for-purpose sealed complete unit, and they are available for classic cars like the mini for example (it comes up a fair bit over on that forum) but obviously no-ones made such a thing for our cars

I'll grant you in comparison to those really old cars the standard lamps are 'ok' like you don't feel like you're going to die every time you drive down a country lane, but you can still get better ones without going to the extreme of blinding everyone coming the other way (at the expense of expected lamp life time hence this whole debate)

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Sep 25th, 2023 at 15:13.
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2023, 17:50   #22
camturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
.......so they're not road legal then? Currently no LED retrofits are road legal in the UK as they won't have the ECE certification.

Once issued the validity of an MOT certificate cannot be revoked, even if the car is submitted for a further MOT and it fails.

Also true for insurance, it's there to protect other people from your mistakes and transgressions.
Suggest you read it again!!! As I stated they are road legal in certain countries and on certain cars except not in the uk
Old Apr 6th, 2024, 10:38   #23
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Update one headlight has gone again so time for replacements

As mentioned on earlier pages the osram night breakers did almost exactly 1 year

The replacement bosch ones were equal in brightness so far as I could make out (or the difference was so minimal as to be irrelevant). And they did 25 months

This time I've ordered Philips whitevision ultra, £20 the pair so about the same price as the osram, let's see how they do

mini project - link
Old Apr 6th, 2024, 10:49   #24
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal optimist View Post
Assuming you’ve check the earths and voltage drop, the bulbs are your problem. Genuine Osram Night Breaker Long Life bulbs are what you need. Be careful they’re genuine and not knock off.
Volvos H7 bulbs from the parts department are long life and DO last...
Old Apr 7th, 2024, 18:45   #25
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

see posts #16/18/19 - again, I don't don't doubt that for one second, I'm sure they last a lot longer

but are they as bright as the alternatives I've mentioned, that's the subject of this thread : "upgrades" - originally in reference to LED's but that swerved into chatter about aftermarket halogen options

on the plus side I've finally got the knack of this headlight change thing, got it down to a simple 3 minute job today, I swear I was fiddling about with it like 30mins the first time

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Apr 7th, 2024 at 18:48.
Old Apr 7th, 2024, 18:51   #26
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

got myself in a muddle over prices because I was looking at the wrong list.. doh

correct as follows

Osram +150% 'Night breaker'- 1 year @ £21.54
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Bosch 'Pure Light' - 2 years @ £15 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

this time just taking a punt on Philips 'WhiteVision' @ £20.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Apr 7th, 2024 at 18:56.
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 19:42   #27
ajm
Master Member

I have used the Osrams a few times too but last time I decided to try the "Twenty20 " bulbs from AutoBulbsDirect - about ten quid for the pair, and a two year guarantee.

We're just about one year in so far, the light output is decent and a nice white colour. It'll be interesting to see if they do last another year... to be honest it's a miracle any of these bulbs last one journey with the roads in the state they are now!
ajm is offline   Reply With Quote