Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Potential purchase - couple of oil leaks

Views : 775

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 24th, 2020, 21:44   #1
Marc1302

Default Potential purchase - couple of oil leaks

Very interested in purchasing a 68 P1800S. Saw one today which seemed a good price. Two areas of concern.
1) oil was visible at the bottom (of what I think is the sump - front of the engine bay, in the middle...sitting on what looks like a large bolt head)....wet but not dripping.
2) quite a bit more oil showing further back, I'd say under where the dashboard starts - gear/overdrive??

So, what are thesd likely to be? And would they put up a big red flag...or are they likely to be liveable with (at least in the short term)?

Thanks
Marc
Marc1302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2020, 22:12   #2
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Crankshaft seals most likely. If that is all that is wrong than not a big issue. Rust is the big thing with P1800’s and they aren’t easy to fix and body parts are expensive. Get someone who knows what to look for look at the car, you don’t want to buy a P1800 with a bodged body and full of filler.
Old Jul 24th, 2020, 22:19   #3
Marc1302

Thanks Burdekin. Do you thknk both are likely to be crankshaft seals. One of them is very far back in the engine bay, almost underneath where the dashboard would be? Couple of patches of rust visible around the sills. Looked minor
Old Jul 24th, 2020, 22:31   #4
old fart
Master Member

Your big bolt head is the drain plug, may need a new washer. Gearbox/ overdrive leaks are common, at least on my cars! I've had them overhauled and they still leak. I give up, and top up.
old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to old fart For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 24th, 2020, 22:37   #5
Marc1302

Thanks. What gear box oil would you recomend?
And engine oil!?
Old Jul 25th, 2020, 07:23   #6
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc1302 View Post
Thanks Burdekin. Do you thknk both are likely to be crankshaft seals. One of them is very far back in the engine bay, almost underneath where the dashboard would be? Couple of patches of rust visible around the sills. Looked minor
There's one at the front lower of the engine and one at the rear lower section of the engine. Common areas where they leak. Original spec is a felt seal, you can get a neoprene seal now but they aren't good quality the current ones.

Rust is always worse than what it appears. If you're serious about the car get someone qualified to inspect it on a ramp and give you a report. It will be worth every penny. There are a lot of rusty bodged P1800s out there.
Old Jul 25th, 2020, 10:13   #7
old fart
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc1302 View Post
Thanks. What gear box oil would you recomend?
And engine oil!?
I use EP90 gear oil and a 20/50 engine oil, Duckhams is a good one.
As for the rusty bits, I would do as advised, there are rust traps all round the 1800s, and I'm sure you could find someone knowledgeable, in one of the clubs, who would go to see it with you.
Good luck, Andy'
old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2020, 10:32   #8
CLIVERALLY
Master Member

Without cleaning the engine and box tracing a leak is difficult.The leak could be as simple as the rocker gasket at the bulkhead end seeping, the sump nut washer, the fuel pump mateing to the block....or as other have suggested. Oil leaks and old cars go together.So I would not be alarmed at this stage.I would echo others, if you have not got a background in mechanics or a knowledge then take someone who does. Also I would have it MOT'd
it's the best money you will spend ..mind I would say that as an MOT tester and mech .

"Lets turn up the juice and see what shakes loose"

Last edited by CLIVERALLY; Jul 25th, 2020 at 10:37.
CLIVERALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2020, 10:42   #9
amazon69
Premier Member

The last thing to worry about on an 1800 is a bit of oil underneath. Check the body, if that's good, crack on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amazon69 For This Useful Post: