Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dashcam Wiring in New V60

Views : 26431

Replies : 72

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2018, 18:28   #1
roundyuk

Default Dashcam Wiring in New V60

Has anyone installed a dashcam in the new V60 and hard wired it?

I've run the wire and discovered what a PITA the fuse box is to get to, only to find they use Micro2 fuses so the fuse tap in the Nextbase hardwire kit is no good; have a suitable one on order.

Just not sure which fuse to use...?
roundyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2018, 19:57   #2
Wizzpop
Master Member

You acually managed to get to the fuse box. I presume you mean the one under the glove box. As far as I can see you have to remove most of the plastic trim round the door frame, then fold back the carpet. Haven't attempted that myself yet. As you say a PITA. See if you can find the fuse box in the back!!!. Ease of maintenance has gone out of the window.
Looking at the manual, I would suggest using Fuse 2 which is MCase, or, if you haven't got the panoramic roof 26 should be free. (micro type)
btw Volvo do not recommend installing dashcams in the new V60 or any other model with the Intellisafe system. Apparently it may interfer with the system!!
However Nextbase have installed the 412GW into 'The Hunted' vehicles for Channel 4, they are 2018 XC90 models.

Last edited by Wizzpop; Nov 18th, 2018 at 20:14.
Wizzpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2018, 09:45   #3
S90
IT Guru

Where do Volvo recommend NOT installing dash cameras?

Only cameras with GPS or permanent Wifi or Bluetooth are not recommended within 15cm if the IS Module. Cameras that do not have these functions won't make a blind bit of difference.

Last edited by S90; Nov 19th, 2018 at 09:51.
S90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S90 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2018, 10:17   #4
BillyJay

Halfords have up trying to hardwire a Nextbase into my XC90 as they couldn't get the top of the fusebox but they did give me a free micro2 piggyback lead so they obviously stock them. I believe that you can also get one from Nextbase although I haven't tried. Obviously you have to decide if you want a permanently live fuse or one that goes of with the ignition.
BillyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2018, 10:28   #5
roundyuk

After I ordered one from Amazon I found an FAQ article on the Nextbase site that says they have them (and kind of implies they’ll send you one out); so I logged a support ticket.

TBH the 512GW has WiFi and GPS, the WiFi you can turn off.....personally I can’t believe that the GPS would cause any issues with the IS module, GPS is a receiver not a transmitter! The WiFi possibly...

Once you get the door sill trim and plastic side trim from the dash off, you can pull the carpet back. Then slide the SIM module off the fuse box and the lid comes off. Thanks for the fuse recommendation, hopefully that one is easy to see, not the best access!
roundyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roundyuk For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2018, 10:30   #6
Lexman8
Premier Member

On an XC90 (and I assume other SPA cars) it's easier to connect the 12v camera feed to the underside of the centre console power socket using a spade connector/splitter. It's easily accessible by un-clipping the passenger side carpet panel from the centre console.

However, it's a switched feed so is no use if your camera needs a permanent 12v for parking monitoring. (The switched feed goes off a few minutes after the ignition.)

EDIT: photos added
_
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040696.JPG (204.1 KB, 1352 views)
File Type: jpg P1040699.JPG (272.0 KB, 1159 views)
File Type: jpg P1040700.JPG (152.2 KB, 1169 views)
File Type: jpg P1040701.JPG (142.9 KB, 1161 views)

Last edited by Lexman8; Nov 19th, 2018 at 10:42.
Lexman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2018, 10:41   #7
scw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
On an XC90 (and I assume all other SPA cars) it's easier to connect the 12v camera feed to the underside of the centre console power socket using a spade connector/splitter. It's easily accessible by un-clipping the passenger side carpet panel from the centre console
This.

I did exactly this on my 2018 XC60. The forward side panel pops off very easily and there’s plenty of space under the console. Wiring can be routed tidily under the carpet beneath the passenger seat to the centre console.

Steve
Old Nov 19th, 2018, 17:43   #8
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
On an XC90 (and I assume other SPA cars) it's easier to connect the 12v camera feed to the underside of the centre console power socket using a spade connector/splitter. It's easily accessible by un-clipping the passenger side carpet panel from the centre console.

However, it's a switched feed so is no use if your camera needs a permanent 12v for parking monitoring. (The switched feed goes off a few minutes after the ignition.)

EDIT: photos added
_
That is very helpful. So easy to access, thankyou.
Just to add a bit, I made up a short extension so I can easily remove the dashcam wiring, and return the car to standard. I used ordinary 6.3mm spade terminals. Two males to go into the socket on the wiring harness, two females to attach to the 12v socket. I used two piggy back connectors on the lead from the dashcam which plugged into the socket on the wiring harness. Yes I did then wrap it with insulating tape! Don't want short circuits and sparks there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0393.JPG (73.3 KB, 810 views)

Last edited by Wizzpop; Nov 19th, 2018 at 17:52.
Wizzpop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wizzpop For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 20th, 2018, 12:51   #9
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S90 View Post
Where do Volvo recommend NOT installing dash cameras?

Only cameras with GPS or permanent Wifi or Bluetooth are not recommended within 15cm if the IS Module. Cameras that do not have these functions won't make a blind bit of difference.
I asked Volvo, as my dealer said I shouldn't install a dashcam.
Email from Volvo Customer Services:
"Unfortunately Volvo do not approve the use of dash cams in our new models such as the V60. The reason for this as when testing we found that the dash cams were interfering with our safety systems.

You are of course welcome to use the Next base dash cam at your discretion.

We can however confirm that we are working on a solution for this which is due in 2019. "
Old Nov 20th, 2018, 14:56   #10
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzpop View Post
We can however confirm that we are working on a solution for this which is due in 2019. "
Hopefully that'll be an option to use the in-built cameras (at a cost) rather than just a Volvo branded dashcam at an extortionate price.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post: