Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Next spec Q - Harmon Kardon or Stnd?

Views : 3550

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2020, 22:17   #1
Director76
Master Member

Default Next spec Q - Harmon Kardon or Stnd?

Looking at ways to make my next T8 RD slightly different and a bit more interesting than the current one...toying with Harmon Kardon upgrade over standard audio? I’m not that bothered about the Apple car play that comes with it, but interested if it makes a real world difference to the audio?

I have found the standard system OK, but not amazing, probably not as good as the standard system in our high spec Tiguan.

Any thoughts gang?

Thanks
D76
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 22:47   #2
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director76 View Post
Looking at ways to make my next T8 RD slightly different and a bit more interesting than the current one...toying with Harmon Kardon upgrade over standard audio? I’m not that bothered about the Apple car play that comes with it, but interested if it makes a real world difference to the audio?

I have found the standard system OK, but not amazing, probably not as good as the standard system in our high spec Tiguan.

Any thoughts gang?

Thanks
D76
Well... i drove a XC90 for some days before buying my current car. It was a test drive car. I wasn't sure if i should buy XC90 or XC60. I also drove a XC40 test drive car but soon i discovered it wasn't for me. I was looking for more space and i felt that the XC40 didn't fit my needs.

XC40 had Harman Kardon sound system. XC90 too. A XC60 that i also drove as a test drive car had standard sound. I can assure you here and right now, that you'll notice a big difference between standard sound system and the Harman Kardon sound system.

The Premium Sound system from Harman Kardon - developed with the renowned audio brand - guarantees a high-level sound experience, with 600 watts charged to its 14 speakers via a 12-channel amplifier. This system optimizes the response of each individual speaker, in order to ensure a powerful sound experience for everyone in the car. Automatic level regulation creates a consistent volume and intensity level, while special algorithms adjust the flow to compensate for outside noise.

You'll notice a slight better difference in terms of spatiality between the upgraded Bowers & Wilkins and the Harman & Kardon sound system. But the extra money (way more), you spend on the Bowers & Wilkins sound system, is not worth.

Harman & Kardon sound system is the right choice because the difference to the standard sound system is BIG.

Good luck 👍

Last edited by VOLVOL0VER; Aug 4th, 2020 at 23:44.
VOLVOL0VER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 23:05   #3
Cull06
Master Member

Another here to vouch for the HK system. I have had a few courtesy cars recently with the standard sound so I’m in a good place to be able to compare and there is a substantial improvement.

One of them had the B&W which was another improvement again but probably for more than I was willing to pay.

But the HK is well worth it.
Cull06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 23:59   #4
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cull06 View Post
Another here to vouch for the HK system. I have had a few courtesy cars recently with the standard sound so I’m in a good place to be able to compare and there is a substantial improvement.

One of them had the B&W which was another improvement again but probably for more than I was willing to pay.

definitely 👍
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 09:48   #5
CocoPops
VOC Member

For me, I wanted CarPlay, so the HK was a very easy decision.

I’ve always spec’d the premium audio option in my cars, DynAudio in VW, Bose in Audi etc.

The B&W was just a step too far at £3k for me!
The Following User Says Thank You to CocoPops For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 10:23   #6
WhatNext?

When I ordered mine, I had to pay for Android Auto too.

I felt £800 quid or so was expensive. Now that this includes smartphone integration, go for it. Just be aware, you need to tune in the equaliser (in two distinct settings) to suit your preferences.
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 11:58   #7
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

I was a little sceptical, and still probably wouldn't spec on a new car, but TBF HK is very good indeed and nice to have on the C70.
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 15:33   #8
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cull06 View Post

Similar experience - the best feature of the HK system not often mentioned is the built in Sub-Woofer that is a must for music lovers.
Agree that the B&W system whilst being a nice to have option does not justify the additional cost......as after the car is a pretty big metal box powered by several noisy mechanical drivetrain units that propel the car over pretty rough pot holed road surfaces!
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 08:49   #9
Baconbaronen

I've bought the HK as well, the price jump up to the B&W was just too much, and the value for money for the B&W wasn't that good.
I could hear a noticeable difference between the standard and HK, but the B&W just wasn't worth the extra money.
Baconbaronen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 09:59   #10
James77

Seen reviews from Autogefuhl (apologies no umlaut), no doubt the system is far superior but the cars also vibrated showing up quality issues. I can't live with vibration in the cabin so I'm out.

I can image the sound is great on your drive but take it on the road! Road noise, kids in the back other external sounds will no doubt reduce your listening experience.

I've given the XC60 to my wife and I now have a Porsche Cayenne, my word everything is just better I also have a tow bar which is fully electric out and in no pulling into position. Yes it cost more but so are the residuals.