Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

volvo Roof boxes for SPA cars

Views : 1937

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 7th, 2020, 15:49   #1
redbuta

Default volvo Roof boxes for SPA cars

Just saw Volvo UK has an official offer:

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/buy/fin...ers/mvof2lxsqw

Free roof bars (not sure what "saving 'up to' £230" means exactly) when buying roof boxes, quite tempting.

Wondering if anyone has installed these roof-boxes on their XC90/60 etc.?

Does Space Design 420/520 worth the extra money, compared with Sport Time 2003?

Likely to be used on long UK journeys when the car is full of people.

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 16:36   #2
CoopsSA
Volvo Newbie

You need free roof bars with that £1,050 one!

The Sport Time one is much more cost effective and reasonable and makes sense considering you're getting free roof bars etc which coul

I'm borrowing a friends roof box next week for when we go to the South West - I already have Thule roof bars and bike carriers.
The Following User Says Thank You to CoopsSA For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 23:33   #3
Zebra
Chief of Staff

I have a space design 520 which I have had for about 10 years. It generates little noise and has minimal effect on fuel economy compared with the one I had previously when on my Mark I XC90. Now on my Mark II there is good noise control and on a recent staycation with fully loaded car with towbar bike rack I managed 38mpg despite driving enthusiastically at the speed limit. Looks good too.

V40 D2 R-Design Nav Plus MY2017, 18" wheels, winter pack.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zebra For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2020, 23:41   #4
redbuta

Thanks for sharing experience.

At a height of 1.776 m itself (XC90), I guess ANY of these boxes will make it over 2.2m.

So won't be any difference in fitting multi-story car parks (none of them will fit...), reserving ferry space (likely to be in 3 x 7 m category) etc.?
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 10:23   #5
Zebra
Chief of Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbuta View Post
Thanks for sharing experience.

At a height of 1.776 m itself (XC90), I guess ANY of these boxes will make it over 2.2m.

So won't be any difference in fitting multi-story car parks (none of them will fit...), reserving ferry space (likely to be in 3 x 7 m category) etc.?
I have been in and out of 2.2m limit carparks with integrated rails, volvo roof bars and space design 520. Arguably the height gain is only about 30cm. I do always get someone to watch carefully going into car parks though!

The Following User Says Thank You to Zebra For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 13:48   #6
redbuta

Mine is MY19 Momentum.

The roof rail may just be a couple of inches higher than yours.

D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
I have been in and out of 2.2m limit carparks with integrated rails, volvo roof bars and space design 520. Arguably the height gain is only about 30cm. I do always get someone to watch carefully going into car parks though!
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 18:25   #7
Zebra
Chief of Staff

Quote:
Mine is MY19 Momentum.

D'oh!
But your bars will be between the rails whereas mine have to rise up, so probably not much in it.

Old Aug 11th, 2020, 10:48   #8
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:
Mine is MY19 Momentum.

D'oh!
Momentum here - elevated bars mean you can have lower overall height than those with integrated. So you are in better position.
Look at Yakima whispbar in between the rails bars - they add no height and load rating is still 75kg. It wipes the floor with Thule bars for ease of use since rubber strips are integrated and you do not need to cut them and push them in and buy different length strips for bikes and roof box. Quality is half a notch better too (subjectively from handling) they just don’t have the same marketing machine.
They are considered to be quieter than Thule too.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0VGtec4Xbq28w

Here is mine with the 230/92/43 box. A good inch of that 43 is below roof bars level so it adds 40 from the level of Volvo bar. I measured mine at 213 total on polestar setting of air suspension. So even if you are on steel you would be max at 218. Now this is with tall box. Get smth smaller and you are lower still.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deman77 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 16:41   #9
redbuta

Glad to see that magic number. A local Q-park multi-story I regularly use has a height limit of 2.18m!

Where did you get this system in the UK?

Indeed excellent alternative to this Volvo offer (dealer hasn't got back in touch since the request form was submitted).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
Momentum here - elevated bars mean you can have lower overall height than those with integrated. So you are in better position.
Look at Yakima whispbar in between the rails bars - they add no height and load rating is still 75kg. It wipes the floor with Thule bars for ease of use since rubber strips are integrated and you do not need to cut them and push them in and buy different length strips for bikes and roof box. Quality is half a notch better too (subjectively from handling) they just don’t have the same marketing machine.
They are considered to be quieter than Thule too.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0VGtec4Xbq28w

Here is mine with the 230/92/43 box. A good inch of that 43 is below roof bars level so it adds 40 from the level of Volvo bar. I measured mine at 213 total on polestar setting of air suspension. So even if you are on steel you would be max at 218. Now this is with tall box. Get smth smaller and you are lower still.
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 22:24   #10
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:
Glad to see that magic number. A local Q-park multi-story I regularly use has a height limit of 2.18m!

Where did you get this system in the UK?

Indeed excellent alternative to this Volvo offer (dealer hasn't got back in touch since the request form was submitted).
Roofbox .co.uk has them. Just select the car and type of rails you have and they will give you the right sized options with correct fittings.

This exact set up is

1 x Yakima Aero-X bars (2), black, S55B (1 x S45B, 1 x S46B) (Volvo XC90 (2015 onwards))

1 x Whispbar 750 series 500 litre gloss black box WB753B (D) (K)

You don’t have to get the same box - this is a big big box that I got because I am moving to Alfa Stelvio with a much smaller boot. Volume is more important to me than weight.

The bars are rated 75kg (incl box) so the lighter the box the more weight you can put in.
A size smaller of this or of Thule runs only 30cm shorter at 200Cm long and 10% less volume but whole 5kg lighter giving you 56kg for luggage. This one because it’s bigger and heavier only leaves 51kg for luggage.
Also smaller box you can probably fit single handedly. This one is awkward size even if the weight at 24kg is not crazy it’s distributed really wide - I had to ask the missus to help. Next time I will use straps. 17-19kg XL box should be easier and less awkward to lift. I do have to say this one looks like it was made for xc90.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deman77 For This Useful Post: