Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone notice new V40 Cross Country?!

Views : 1938

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 22:58   #1
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Default Anyone notice new V40 Cross Country?!

As per titel, Volvo have very quietly added a V40 CrossCountry to the line-up (had to add the CC together as otherwise the sensor kick in)!

You can even build it on Volvo UK's (and NL etc) homepage.

Volvo UK Configurator

Some seriously nice options there. Including a normal sunroof (as the pano roof can not be opened!). Nice wheel options too.

Highlight... an R-Design version!
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 23:12   #2
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVolvo View Post
As per titel, Volvo have very quietly added a V40 CrossCountry to the line-up (had to add the CC together as otherwise the sensor kick in)!

You can even build it on Volvo UK's (and NL etc) homepage.

Volvo UK Configurator

Some seriously nice options there. Including a normal sunroof (as the pano roof can not be opened!). Nice wheel options too.

Highlight... an R-Design version!
Yes talking about this the other day. Expensive but nice though!

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 14:58   #3
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

the plastic bumpers at dawn look, way way way to much trim unless you change the colour of it get ready to prep it with something to stop it discolouring in a few years...
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 14:06   #4
Brodick
Master Member

Just wonder why volvo have called it the V40 cross country rather than the
XC40. ok so it is a chunky V40 on stilts but they did the same with the V70.

It is supposed to be competition for the X1 etc still don't get the different sub-branding.
Brodick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 14:36   #5
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodick View Post
Just wonder why volvo have called it the V40 cross country rather than the
XC40. ok so it is a chunky V40 on stilts but they did the same with the V70.

It is supposed to be competition for the X1 etc still don't get the different sub-branding.
Interesting you say this, because I read about the V40 Cross Country , although instantly referred to it it as XC40. Ninja pointed out to me I had wrongly named it as an XC, which was interesting as it made me ponder as to why I had done. Maybe there is something in the way manufacturers promote their branding that sits in peoples minds, so all this confuion with engines, and V being an estate, now a hatchback (although still sometimes an estate as in V70!!), CC and XC etc. The more I read the more confused I get..!!

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 15:11   #6
jaygee
Avid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Interesting you say this, because I read about the V40 Cross Country , although instantly referred to it it as XC40. Ninja pointed out to me I had wrongly named it as an XC, which was interesting as it made me ponder as to why I had done. Maybe there is something in the way manufacturers promote their branding that sits in peoples minds, so all this confuion with engines, and V being an estate, now a hatchback (although still sometimes an estate as in V70!!), CC and XC etc. The more I read the more confused I get..!!

Regards
Indeed it should be the XC40, since there is a XC70 which is a V70 Cross Country?!

V50 2.0D (05) SE Lux - Euro IV || 168 BHP - 404 NM
V40 D3 (13) SE Lux - Euro IV || 150 BHP - 350NM
jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 15:44   #7
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygee View Post
Indeed it should be the XC40, since there is a XC70 which is a V70 Cross Country?!
You'll probably find they will be re-branding/re-naming them over the next few years so there will be a V70 Cross Country again....think basically the "Off Road" versions of the standard cars i.e. V70/XC70 will be know as Cross Country and the cars which are built as "Off/Soft Road" versions will be XC's... such as XC60/XC90.... might be wrong, but thats what I'd heard and what the New V40 Cross Country would suggest.....
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 16:20   #8
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Is the V40 Cross Country high enough to be classed as an XC? It just looks to me like a slightly raised and heavily plastic bumpered V40 rather than a high sitting 4wd car as per the XC60 and XC90.

A bit like Skoda with their Scout models and Audi with Allroad. Both however also produce a more raised and 4wd "style" of car with the Yeti, Q3, Q5, Q7.

I would have thought a real XC40 would be a very good seller whereas this is a little gimmicky. This type and size of car is a massive seller for companies and Volvo are missing a trick at the moment.
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 10:17   #9
MtillingVolvo

Volvos stance on it is -

"The V40 Cross Country derivative is not a substitute for a ‘XC’ product in the segment. Instead, the Cross Country utilises the existing V40 bodyshape and adds a number of different design and style elements. Appealing to those customers looking for something different (but not sporty), the V40 Cross Country has a unique front nose, unique exterior features (e.g. roof rails) and sits around 40mm higher than the standard model.

– Note that the Volvo XC70 was originally called the V70 Cross Country and was the forerunner in developing this category.

In the same way that Audi and BMW have developed smaller Q3 and X1 products, it is recognised that an opportunity exists for a small Volvo ‘XC’ product with a full range of FWD and AWD powertrains. This would be a unique bodyshape, in the same way that the XC60 and XC90 variants are unique.

In conclusion, the V40 Cross Country is not a ‘XC40’. Instead, very simply, it is an alternative V40 variant for those customers looking for something different and stylish, that is not a R-Design"

Last edited by MtillingVolvo; Oct 25th, 2012 at 10:20.
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 10:19   #10
MtillingVolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
I would have thought a real XC40 would be a very good seller whereas this is a little gimmicky. This type and size of car is a massive seller for companies and Volvo are missing a trick at the moment.
Apparently a smaller proper "XC" is being researched....

Tags
v40 cross country, xc40