Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1961 Volvo PV544 in Holland

Views : 83230

Replies : 750

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 22nd, 2018, 16:06   #531
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Another loose end slowly being tied up...

...eventually.

Another aspect of the external trim situation on the PV that I'm not so keen on is the metal trim that butts up against the paint. When I removed the trim there was loads of trapped muck which was also promoting rust.

Part of the trouble seems to me to be the wire spring clips - not only do they potentially scratch as they go into the bodywork holes - but they seem to be a bit hit and miss at actually holding the trim firmly up against the body - and some of them have started to rust (I'm aware this comment might upset some people - all I can say is that's the impression I've had with my PV - so I'm going to do something about it)

I think it was user "old fart" who drew my attention to a company in the UK called Bresco who supply "T-bolts" for holding trim in position. After a fair amount of ball scratching I've decided I'm going to see if I can utilise these T-bolts with a rubber strip and the original trim to see if I can make a better more water repellent solution.

Based on a few measurements of the trim =>

I've just ordered a load of these clips =>

https://www.bresco.com/acatalog/Moul...5P.html#SID=31

The magical width is 15.6 mm which I reckon is just going to slide in the trim nicely whilst allowing a bit of wriggle space so I can get the trim as straight as possible down the length of the car - I have high hopes this clamping system is going to be more versatile than the original spring clips - and coupled with my rubber strip plans hopefully will be better at keeping the water outside of the car (even if you only get tiny seepage in the worst case scenarios)

The T-bolts will be held in place with wide M4 washers and self locking nuts on the underside of the panels
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 width of external trim.JPG (192.1 KB, 108 views)
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2018, 17:53   #532
arcturus
arcturus

http://www.vp-autoparts.com/main.asp...e&artno=654585
Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 03:57   #533
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
Are these an official updated version then?

(I'm still glad I've got the others on order as they work out to be a bit cheaper - about 69 euro cents per piece instead of about 2 euros a piece)
Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 10:00   #534
arcturus
arcturus

These are usually fitted at either end of each strip with the spring clips in between
Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 10:24   #535
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
These are usually fitted at either end of each strip with the spring clips in between
Oh I didn't realise that - I didn't find any on my car when I pulled it to bits. I can see how the spring clips should work now - with guiding help from the T-bolts at the ends - that's probably gonna be a bit better.

Still I will hopefully have ordered enough of the T-bolts to do the entire car with out the spring clips now.
Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 14:21   #536
arcturus
arcturus

For what it's worth, I sprayed WD40 inside all my strips and left it to dry before fitting.
Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 17:53   #537
simonvolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
Are these an official updated version then?

(I'm still glad I've got the others on order as they work out to be a bit cheaper - about 69 euro cents per piece instead of about 2 euros a piece)
Beware.

See:

www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?p=2428940

my post #9 re the power of galvanic action.

The VP-Autoparts clips, judging by their pic, seem to have a (rubber/plastic?) layer back and front of the square head. There may be a good reason for this: To insulate them electrically from the trim strip? I am guessing.

The trim strips of the Amazon (at least mine) were provided with spring clips throughout the length, including at the ends.
simonvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 23:33   #538
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Simon;

I won't dispute the power (literally, as in electrical...!) of Galvanic Corrosion, but in the case of your those secondary rust areas in the linked thread, at the end of the chrome strip (not at the hole!) I would expect the rust was started as a result of the trim having damaged the paint (just as the clips damaged the paint at the edges of the holes) so that moisture could get to the underlying sheetmetal and go to work...I wonder how much the fact that Trim is SS and sheetmetal is steel contributed?

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 11:18   #539
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonvolvo View Post
Beware.

See:

www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?p=2428940

my post #9 re the power of galvanic action.

The VP-Autoparts clips, judging by their pic, seem to have a (rubber/plastic?) layer back and front of the square head. There may be a good reason for this: To insulate them electrically from the trim strip? I am guessing.

The trim strips of the Amazon (at least mine) were provided with spring clips throughout the length, including at the ends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
Simon;

I won't dispute the power (literally, as in electrical...!) of Galvanic Corrosion, but in the case of your those secondary rust areas in the linked thread, at the end of the chrome strip (not at the hole!) I would expect the rust was started as a result of the trim having damaged the paint (just as the clips damaged the paint at the edges of the holes) so that moisture could get to the underlying sheetmetal and go to work...I wonder how much the fact that Trim is SS and sheetmetal is steel contributed?

Cheers
Thanks for your comments chaps - part of my plan is to go for the kinky rubber option I've got in my head (!) so I'm hoping there will be sufficient isolation between the parts...

...I've also got a series 2a Land Rover so I've seen what dissimilar metal corrosion can do.

EDIT:- I did have a good link explaining not only the dissimilar values between metals but also how the inclusion of a conductive element (such as sitting water) is a vital part of the system - but as usual - I can't find it now

Last edited by Army; Dec 24th, 2018 at 11:20.
Old Dec 31st, 2018, 13:52   #540
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Last post of 2018

Almost a year since I bought the Volvo - a lot has happened - and a lot hasn't happened!

The most recent occurrence was the arrival of the Bresco clamps I'll be using for the exterior trim.

They have just enough wriggle space within the folds of the trim so I'm confident I'll be able to get nice straight runs of trim down the sides of the car (unlike some PVs I've seen with very daft looking skewed trim on front wings)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 bresco clips arrived.JPG (127.6 KB, 69 views)