Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Planning to buy...

Views : 804

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2021, 12:33   #1
Opopanax

Default Planning to buy...

Hello everybody,

I am planning on buying an Amazon. Been in love with this car for more than 40 years, and finally making the plunge...

I want to plan out what will be absolutely necessary to check/replace, so thought of throwing the question to you guys/galls

What are the problems I might encounter (specifically for this car):
- with the braking system?
- with the steering system?
- fuel lines?
- suspension system?

I know these are very general questions, but I want to have an idea of what problems we might encounter. I'm working with a friend, who's a mechanic, and his son, who is a bodyworker (is that a word?), so most things won't be a problem. But they never worked on an Amazon, so better be prepared

Thanks in advance
Opopanax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 12:53   #2
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Mechanically they are good, things wear out or rust is the main issue. The B18 is a strong engine but if it needs rebuilding this is the most expensive mechanical cost on the car. To do a full rebuild you are looking at over 2000euros.

The biggest issue with them especially in the UK is rust and this can be expensive to fix. However they were a well made and designed car and are not too hard to repair . New panels and repair panels are good quality and easy to find but they are getting more expensive.

The best advice is to buy a good one that's been well looked after rather than a project. The Dutch love old Volvos so certainly look there for a good one.
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 13:02   #3
68jackh
VOC Member

I got mine in |South Africa.

Took a bit of time to get here but it seems to be a good one.

Built in Durban and lived in SA so minimal rust.

I would say however some of the repairs that had been done were very suspicious/dangerous.

As i'm pretty much rebuilding the whole car i just wanted one with minimal/no rust.

Jack
68jackh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 13:24   #4
Opopanax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
The best advice is to buy a good one that's been well looked after rather than a project. The Dutch love old Volvos so certainly look there for a good one.
We will be doing the engine rebuild ourselves (just finished the rebuild of a Saab 99 engine), so not very concerned about that.

I know that everything depends on the car itself, but is there a general consensus on costs that would be unavoidable? Money is not a problem, but, again, better be prepared...
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 14:23   #5
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opopanax View Post
We will be doing the engine rebuild ourselves (just finished the rebuild of a Saab 99 engine), so not very concerned about that.

I know that everything depends on the car itself, but is there a general consensus on costs that would be unavoidable? Money is not a problem, but, again, better be prepared...
I can’t really think of any costly inherent mechanical faults to look out for. The suspension might be tired so might need doing; bushes, springs dampers. Brakes are the same, just need checking and replace what is required but they are good quality. The Amazon was a well built car which used good parts. The engines are strong and can rev all day long. From that era the Amazon would be a hard car to beat.
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 14:31   #6
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Worth a read: https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/prof_120.shtml
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 15:49   #7
Opopanax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
I can’t really think of any costly inherent mechanical faults to look out for. The suspension might be tired so might need doing; bushes, springs dampers. Brakes are the same, just need checking and replace what is required but they are good quality. The Amazon was a well built car which used good parts. The engines are strong and can rev all day long. From that era the Amazon would be a hard car to beat.
Okay, less to worry about than other cars that age, got it!

All there is to it now, is finding the perfect candidate...

Thank you all for the responses
The Following User Says Thank You to Opopanax For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2021, 20:55   #8
simon roberts

Join Amazon 122S forum on FB...admin by Bart Coppens lots of Amo activity in Holland and Belge😜
simon roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2021, 21:21   #9
Bracpan

I've only been running my Amazon for just over two years and mechanically i have found the car relativity easy to work on with great help from the lads on this site, parts also not bad using Brookhouse, Amazon Cars and Classic Swede.
If i was to give advice i would say go for the best body you can find as I for one hate chasing rust. I rather use a spanner then a welder and filler any day..
Good luck and hope you find a good un..
Bracpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 09:23   #10
Army
marches on his stomach

Seeing as you are in Belgium and in the EU I'd be looking at different suppliers than those mentioned in the UK. I don't know what the import situation in Belgium is for purchases that come from the Uk but the Dutch customs are having a great time here!

As I'm in Holland I have joined the vkv club (www.volvokv.nl) which has a very handy spare parts shop. Otherwise I can say I've had a positive experience with suppliers from Sweden.

Even though rust - the problem of every old car - is a problem: If the Amazon is at all like my PV544 in terms of manufacture they are strong cars with a deservedly good strong following.
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote