Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2031359

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 21:34   #1521
Othen
Premier Member

Default Nothing to do with the Royal Barge

What a daft chap am I sometimes.

I damaged a SWA cable whilst fixing a gate today - more speed, less haste Alan.

No matter, I'll pick up a resin joint in the morn and have it fixed in a jiffy...

... and the moral is: look behind what you are cutting or drilling.

Ho hum :-(
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 21:50   #1522
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
What a daft chap am I sometimes.

I damaged a SWA cable whilst fixing a gate today - more speed, less haste Alan.

No matter, I'll pick up a resin joint in the morn and have it fixed in a jiffy...

... and the moral is: look behind what you are cutting or drilling.

Ho hum :-(
That was a silly thing to do Alan!

Still, fixing it will keep you out of mischief for half hour or so, more of you have to hold the joint level until it sets!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 22:21   #1523
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That was a silly thing to do Alan!

Still, fixing it will keep you out of mischief for half hour or so, more of you have to hold the joint level until it sets!
Yes Dave... one of those 'why did I do that' moments - I suppose we all have them from time to time. I've isolated the garage so everything is safe for tonight, and by good fortune the local Electricfix had just one resin joint in stock. I'll pop up in the RB and collect it at 07:30 in the morn.

The electrician that installed power to the garage (on a new house) had kinked the SWA under the gate to the back garden, so it got a bit of a whack every time it closed, the sheath was already flattened (by 12 years of being bashed) so I'll re-route it more sensibly when I have it in two parts tomorrow.

I don't know why (well I do, to save money), but the electrician used 2.5mm^2 conductors so it can only be a 16A supply to the garage - I'm sort of tempted to replace with 4mm^2 tomorrow - it would be a bit difficult to get round a tight bend in SWA though, so I'll sleep on that idea.

:-)
Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 22:38   #1524
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes Dave... one of those 'why did I do that' moments - I suppose we all have them from time to time. I've isolated the garage so everything is safe for tonight, and by good fortune the local Electricfix had just one resin joint in stock. I'll pop up in the RB and collect it at 07:30 in the morn.

The electrician that installed power to the garage (on a new house) had kinked the SWA under the gate to the back garden, so it got a bit of a whack every time it closed, the sheath was already flattened (by 12 years of being bashed) so I'll re-route it more sensibly when I have it in two parts tomorrow.

I don't know why (well I do, to save money), but the electrician used 2.5mm^2 conductors so it can only be a 16A supply to the garage - I'm sort of tempted to replace with 4mm^2 tomorrow - it would be a bit difficult to get round a tight bend in SWA though, so I'll sleep on that idea.

It sounds like the original sparky has made more than one mistake thre Alan! Needs his ar5e kicked in fact!
Why did he kink it round a gate knowing it's likely to get whacked by the gate? Should have run it above the gate on a catenary wire.

I assume it's a radial circuit and not a ring, hence the 16A breaker? Do you have or are you likely to have a welder in the garage? If so i'd strongly recommend replacing it with 4mm 3-core SWA, running it as a catenary wire support to minimise accidental damage and upgrade your MCB to a Type C 32A breaker to cover the welder.

As a general rule of thumb, any sharp bends are a big no-no with SWA and it's good practice to make a drip-loop below the cable entry point to the building.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 23:54   #1525
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Othen. You will know whether your proposed work to household electrics needs local authority approval unless done by a qualified sparks.

And you will know that if you go ahead with your plan to move, a diligent surveyor would quite likely spot the possibility of electrical alterations.

To coin a phrase. Take care. Stay alert.

Comrade Stephen Edwin

This household has memories of a seller, suddenly undoing a not approved loft "conversion" when they sold.

A few years later I bought the that house and the rest is or will become history.

(The family goes back only to 1918 in the street, so far as I know.
And currently we "own" a very small chunk of the street.)

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Jul 24th, 2020 at 00:02.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2020, 05:53   #1526
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It sounds like the original sparky has made more than one mistake thre Alan! Needs his ar5e kicked in fact!
Why did he kink it round a gate knowing it's likely to get whacked by the gate? Should have run it above the gate on a catenary wire.

I assume it's a radial circuit and not a ring, hence the 16A breaker? Do you have or are you likely to have a welder in the garage? If so i'd strongly recommend replacing it with 4mm 3-core SWA, running it as a catenary wire support to minimise accidental damage and upgrade your MCB to a Type C 32A breaker to cover the welder.

As a general rule of thumb, any sharp bends are a big no-no with SWA and it's good practice to make a drip-loop below the cable entry point to the building.
The original job certainly isn't what I would have done Dave, I suppose he was a contract sparky and just wanted to get any old job done and paid by the builder as quickly as possible. It would have cost next to nothing more to use 4mm^2 SWA to start with.

I've just had a look at the cable again - there is no way I could get 4mm^2 SWA round tightly enough. For today I'll fix the cable with a resin joint and re-route the cable under the gate, burying it to give a larger radius curve.

In the fullness of time I'll change it for 4mm^2 and run it as a catenary (it is only about 3' from the house to the garage), that way I could change the MCB to a B20 (the internal circuit in the garage is already a 2.5mm^2 ring, but the SWA to it is a radial, hence the 16A MCB). That is a job for another day though.

This could only be a 20A circuit - the current carrying capacity for 4mm^2 CU is 33A, but the rating factor is 0.75, so 25A for the radial part. It would be useful to have 20A to the garage though.

Many thanks Dave. I'll be more careful with the recip saw in the future - what a prune I was.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jul 24th, 2020 at 07:17. Reason: Spelling error.
Old Jul 24th, 2020, 06:05   #1527
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Othen. You will know whether your proposed work to household electrics needs local authority approval unless done by a qualified sparks.

And you will know that if you go ahead with your plan to move, a diligent surveyor would quite likely spot the possibility of electrical alterations.

To coin a phrase. Take care. Stay alert.

Comrade Stephen Edwin

This household has memories of a seller, suddenly undoing a not approved loft "conversion" when they sold.

A few years later I bought the that house and the rest is or will become history.

(The family goes back only to 1918 in the street, so far as I know.
And currently we "own" a very small chunk of the street.)

Well, Stephen Edwin:

a. Repairs and like for like replacements are not notifiable works (see the building regulations part of your On Site guide).

b. I am a qualified electrician.

Ho hum.

PS. I have no idea why we are using random bold characters, but I've included a few anyway.

Last edited by Othen; Jul 24th, 2020 at 06:09. Reason: Spelling error.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 24th, 2020, 10:38   #1528
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Othan

Thanks but I don't need reference to regulations. You have explained clearly. Init. I suspect you plan more than repair but your qualifications include sparks.

Anyways it sounds as if you will not have problems re the electrics if you do move home. Kushti. That is what matters.

I suspect original sparks either followed or ignored the specification they were given. I shall not lose sleep guessing which it was.

I might be random but rarely bold. LMAO.

Why have you dropped the fraternal or affectionate title that you awarded to me? Gosh. And to think I mistook that for pejorative. Sorry olde chap. g,d,rlh....

Comrade Stephen Edwin

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2020, 11:37   #1529
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
The original job certainly isn't what I would have done Dave, I suppose he was a contract sparky and just wanted to get any old job done and paid by the builder as quickly as possible. It would have cost next to nothing more to use 4mm^2 SWA to start with.

I've just had a look at the cable again - there is no way I could get 4mm^2 SWA round tightly enough. For today I'll fix the cable with a resin joint and re-route the cable under the gate, burying it to give a larger radius curve.

In the fullness of time I'll change it for 4mm^2 and run it as a catenary (it is only about 3' from the house to the garage), that way I could change the MCB to a B20 (the internal circuit in the garage is already a 2.5mm^2 ring, but the SWA to it is a radial, hence the 16A MCB). That is a job for another day though.

This could only be a 20A circuit - the current carrying capacity for 4mm^2 CU is 33A, but the rating factor is 0.75, so 25A for the radial part. It would be useful to have 20A to the garage though.

Many thanks Dave. I'll be more careful with the recip saw in the future - what a prune I was.

Alan
All done, if it had not been for the rain half way through the job would have only taken 40 minutes.

Power is restored to the garage, which is nice. I did a Z(s) and polarity test before I poured the resin and everything is as it should be.

I still feel like a bit of a prune for being so clumsy.

Last edited by Othen; Jul 24th, 2020 at 11:40.
Old Jul 24th, 2020, 11:39   #1530
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Othan

Thanks but I don't need reference to regulations. You have explained clearly. Init. I suspect you plan more than repair but your qualifications include sparks.

Anyways it sounds as if you will not have problems re the electrics if you do move home. Kushti. That is what matters.

I suspect original sparks either followed or ignored the specification they were given. I shall not lose sleep guessing which it was.

I might be random but rarely bold. LMAO.

Why have you dropped the fraternal or affectionate title that you awarded to me? Gosh. And to think I mistook that for pejorative. Sorry olde chap. g,d,rlh....

Comrade Stephen Edwin

My name is still Othen; but of course you know that already :-)