Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 D4 Rear Pads/Discs

Views : 1490

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 19th, 2019, 19:47   #11
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeIOW View Post
I've had to get up from the floor.....they sent me a "PlanMyService" quote.
Now be aware I bought this XC60 new with the bargain £500 5-year service plan.
Clearly that would not be matched.
but I DID fall off my chair when I saw how much they wanted for the next 5 years.
£2,552.72

Now, that may well include the MOT (£45 at my local place), but even then, an average of around £450 per service sounds....excessive!

Yes, you read this correctly....& that includes a generous 23.8% discount.

BWAAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

My local Leicester Indy will see a much smaller proportion of that for as long as I continue to enjoy the car......

They did mention the next might be a timing chain service....wonder how steep that jobbie is!?
'timing chain service' I wonder what that might be?! It's all belts and tensioners as far as I am aware. Had mine done and it's pricey but not an alarming amount for once every 5 years or 90k. I would just rather have the record that it has been done by the main dealer should any belts fail. The 5 year £500 service deal was indeed a bargain which I took advantage of. I still use main dealer for servicing with attendant software updates and the inclusive breakdown cover, but everything else is dealt with by an independent if I can't do it myself.
Just hauled my Vitesse from Somerset up to a club tour of Cumbria and back to Stratford on Avon for the Triumph Sports Six Annual show and then home and the XC60 did not miss a beat and now in excess of 100k. It would appear they like being flogged!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 10:59   #12
Hilton
C J

Default Rear brake pads change at 32k miles

During second service, just had a call from the main dealer advising my rear brake pads are 80% worn with 3mm remaining and should be replaced.
This did surprise me as a gentle driver and given the fronts are only 30% worn. As price is £240 vat inc to replace the rear pads, I've decided to check and monitor them myself but was advised the job involves a computer input to enable the work, so not a job for the owner to complete !
I wonder if the AWD has bigger rear brakes that do not wear so quickly ?
Is there a way I can replace the pads without a computer?
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 11:10   #13
games133

for rear brakes wearing more than the front been amechanic and having found out that car with auto curise control( car slows down and speeds up again) uses the rear brake to slow the car down gently and dose explain why the rear wear more than the front.

if you want change the rear pads your self you can use a couple options.

1 take the motor of the back the calpier and wind it back that way make sure you have the brakes in the off first.

2 get a computer from ebay or amazone or outher online retailer that would allow you to wind the rear brakes right off.

3 buy your self a vida set up. then you can get your vida to do it. or use softwear called d5t5 with i think wind the pads off as well
games133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 11:43   #14
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilton View Post
During second service, just had a call from the main dealer advising my rear brake pads are 80% worn with 3mm remaining and should be replaced.
This did surprise me as a gentle driver and given the fronts are only 30% worn. As price is £240 vat inc to replace the rear pads, I've decided to check and monitor them myself but was advised the job involves a computer input to enable the work, so not a job for the owner to complete !
I wonder if the AWD has bigger rear brakes that do not wear so quickly ?
Is there a way I can replace the pads without a computer?
No computer needed, you can either unscrew the stepper motors or disconnect the motor connections and use a battery to release the pads. Full info here... https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=206272

It is my understanding that one reason that the rear pads wear relatively quickly is due to the rear brakes being used by the vehicle VSA/ESC system to 'trim' the vehicle during hard cornering, etc.
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 12:38   #15
Hilton
C J

Quote:
Originally Posted by games133 View Post
for rear brakes wearing more than the front been amechanic and having found out that car with auto curise control( car slows down and speeds up again) uses the rear brake to slow the car down gently and dose explain why the rear wear more than the front.

if you want change the rear pads your self you can use a couple options.

1 take the motor of the back the calpier and wind it back that way make sure you have the brakes in the off first.

2 get a computer from ebay or amazone or outher online retailer that would allow you to wind the rear brakes right off.

3 buy your self a vida set up. then you can get your vida to do it. or use softwear called d5t5 with i think wind the pads off as well
Many thanks, that's very helpful. I'll have a look at the diy options. I assume £240 is the standard 1 hour plus parts main dealer rate.
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 12:39   #16
Hilton
C J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
No computer needed, you can either unscrew the stepper motors or disconnect the motor connections and use a battery to release the pads. Full info here... https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=206272

It is my understanding that one reason that the rear pads wear relatively quickly is due to the rear brakes being used by the vehicle VSA/ESC system to 'trim' the vehicle during hard cornering, etc.
Thanks for that, I'll see what it entails. I'll also ask an independent garage to quote.
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 21:19   #17
Chrisv60

Yep, I used the battery method.

I used an old car battery and a length of old cable but I believe it will work just as well with a 9v PP3 battery. Just contact the terminals, it whirs away for about 10 seconds and then you can push the pistons in with a g clamp or similar. If you connect it the wrong way, you just hear a slight noise of the pads tightening up as if you were applying the handbrake, so just reverse the connections.

When you put it all back together, pressing the brake pedal and operating the handbrake a few times resets it all and job done.