Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Safety recall for fire risk

Views : 86276

Replies : 468

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 21st, 2019, 08:10   #191
DTaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by apsel View Post
I am tempted to check the EMAP pipe, if it is easily accessible. If blocked I might either clean or replace it. Does anyone know the exact part number and has anyone found any online instructions that describe this task and give extra info such as torque settings for the bolt and sensor, on replacement, please?

Part number 31431101. Looks like this.

https://bego.bildelsbasen.se/image/9...r/327141_1.jpg

Mounted top rear of the engine. Held in place by a bolt 8mm socket and a banjo fitting. Sensor mounts on end.
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 08:31   #192
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apsel View Post
My car is now starting to "stutter", sometimes on idle but more often under light load in the 1000-2000 rpm range. No error messages yet. I have had the "definitive" EGR fix about 30K miles ago. I have a recall letter but no work done yet.

I am tempted to check the EMAP pipe, if it is easily accessible. If blocked I might either clean or replace it. Does anyone know the exact part number and has anyone found any online instructions that describe this task and give extra info such as torque settings for the bolt and sensor, on replacement, please?
Surely it would be easier to check the emap sensor readings to assess whether the pipe is blocked? Should read ~100kPa with the ignition on but the engine off, then vary considerably as the engine is started and the car driven.
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 13:53   #193
apsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTaylor View Post
Part number 31431101. Looks like this.

https://bego.bildelsbasen.se/image/9...r/327141_1.jpg

Mounted top rear of the engine. Held in place by a bolt 8mm socket and a banjo fitting. Sensor mounts on end.
I had a look at this last night and found the sensor. It is not so easy to access, at least on my car as the Banjo bolt at the end of the pipe is underneath what looks like a quite rigid heat shield. You cannot see that shield very well, but by feel I found two bolts holding that on but think there may be more. To get better access I would need to remove the main air intake pipe that runs across the top of the engine.

I think I will start by trying the other suggestion of checking the output of the sensor as I have one of the OBDC interfaces. I will just need to find the output in the Android App I have for it.
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 21:24   #194
apsel

I plugged in my OBDC tool and tried a couple of Android Apps I had on my phone to try to find the EMAP sensor. I could not find it in any list of available sensors for either program even "Car Scanner" which seemed to have a specific list for the Volvo 2.0 VEA engine.

Can anyone recommend an Android tool that knows the full sensor set for the VEA engine, please?

Whilst doing this I could see one of the tools shows the EGR valve position error, which was varying quite a bit. Does anyone know the acceptable range of errors one might expect, as my problem could be the EGR valve is sticking again!
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 23:41   #195
Ian W XC60

I've owned my XC60 from new since November 2014 and this is now its 5th recall. Apart from an electric handbrake that sometimes failed to set the other 4 all relate to the plumbing in the engine around the DPF/EGR thingies. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the engineering abilities floating around Volvo!

My engine light came on mid-June (before the recall notification) after I'd done 200 miles at motorway speed so Volvo assist turned out a tech who found a fault code he believed related to the O2 sensor, he suggested cancelling it and as the nearest dealer was 50 miles away see if it came back on before going to a dealer as the journey could just have loosened a bit of crud.

In early-July, again before I got my letter, it came back on again so I contacted the dealer who services it and arranged to get it seen but before it was the light went out on its own, so I cancelled as I understood no light meant no code could be read.

This Sunday it came on again, so its now re-booked as the engine light is one of the symptoms specifically mentioned in the recall or more accurately pre-recall warning letter and I want it checked even if the light goes out beforehand.

The dealer has stated I have to pay the diagnostics and Volvo "may" reimburse if this is recall related. I want it seen so didn't argue the toss but I would have thought the diagnostics would be covered by the recall and if it isn't recall related I'd be liable for any work it throws up as needing? Any thoughts as to whether I'm right or the dealer is?

Also I'm not technically minded but is the O2 sensor part of the DPF as I've got the Volvo extended warranty and that seems to be the major exclusion in their cover?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisv60 View Post
To be honest, I'd probably take it in to Volvo and let them diagnose it first as part of the recall program.
You never know, it might get fixed for free.
Wouldn't be too sure about that!
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 07:19   #196
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian W XC60 View Post
...The dealer has stated I have to pay the diagnostics and Volvo "may" reimburse if this is recall related. I want it seen so didn't argue the toss but I would have thought the diagnostics would be covered by the recall and if it isn't recall related I'd be liable for any work it throws up as needing? Any thoughts as to whether I'm right or the dealer is?

Also I'm not technically minded but is the O2 sensor part of the DPF as I've got the Volvo extended warranty and that seems to be the major exclusion in their cover?

Wouldn't be too sure about that!
I've had similar thoughts about the recall... by sending out that letter Volvo have formally primed us to expect problems and so to respond to a warning light, strange running or burning smells by contacting a Volvo dealer. However, they'll then charge you a hefty whack for the resulting diagnostic investigation unless the problem does actually fit into their defined scope of whatever the current problem actually is! If it wasn't for the recall most of us would be a little more relaxed about an amber warning light and instead visit a local garage for an explanation and cheaper repair or - as I would do - simply delete the error code to see if it comes back then consider DIY action... but now doing that might undermine our entitlement to the necessary rectification work. Volvo have got us trapped!

The exhaust manifold sensor should not be considered part of the DPF, I believe it's purpose to provide feedback on EGR volumes. I regularly kept deleting the code for that problem (P014c) leading up to the last service, with an intention of mentioning it when I took the car in. However the problem magically fixed itself a couple of weeks before the service. .. I still mentioned it and the technician did confirm that a routine software update was applied during the service to compensate for this slow sensor response caused by soot build-up but that mine had possibly cleared itself during a DPF regen. Been fine for the past 6 months.
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 20:03   #197
smudgers

my wife has been at the caravan all summer with the kids driving back twice a week for work (about 80 mile round trip) so haven't had the chance to put it in to my local dealers although I spent 4 days down there last week and phoned the local dealers (Canterbury) at 10am to let them know I was having the symptoms described in the recall notice. I got a voice mail at 17:59 but it was to late because of my work and to make matters worse, my wife won't deal with it so it now has to wait for the kids to go back to school before I'll have chance to drop it to the dealers. have to say I wasn't best pleased about the dealer waiting until the very end of the day to return my call. Also the reception asked why I was calling and took my reg plate then told me the service dept were very busy. has anyone who has rung in about the recall been treated the same ?
bit of a cynic because we've had the car a little over a year and have a few issues surrounding the EGR problems. a couple of days after the EGR was replaced but can't help but wonder if there just covering there rear end by issuing the recall to safe guard what the world thinks about Volvo, the safest car on the road. I do hope I'm wrong because me and my wife love the car, just not the headaches.
smudgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 23:20   #198
Ian W XC60

Below is an edited email I've sent to Volvo Customer Service
Quote:
Dear Sir,
I own a Volvo XC60 Reg No ..... and received a recall notice in respect of a potential fire risk caused by a plastic manifold melting in mid July this year. That notice specifically advised that if, amongst other things, the engine warning light illuminated I should seek assistance from my Volvo dealership.

<omitted as details of light coming on 3 times are in my previous post>

The dealer receptionist has stated categorically that I have to pay for the diagnostics testing and Volvo "may" reimburse this if the fault is recall related. I want it seen so haven't argued the toss at this stage but I would have thought the diagnostics would be covered by the recall? Of course, if it isn't recall related I'd be responsible for any work it needs but I would then have a choice of whether have that work undertaken by a franchised dealer or elsewhere.

My understanding of the recall system is that it is statutory legal requirement that places the onus on the manufacturer, Volvo in this case, to rectify safety critical faults FOC for consumers. In the notice the light coming on is specifically mentioned as a cause for concern about the safety of my vehicle and the without diagnostic tests neither Volvo, the Dealer or I can know whether it is or isn't a safety issue. How can charging for these tests comply with the recall system?

It was quite obvious from the conversation with the service receptionist that this was common practice and that others had been charged for the tests in similar circumstances, not simply a misunderstanding but a common occurrence at this and maybe other, or even all, Volvo dealerships. I make this point because when the light came on the second time I spoke to another dealership, XXXX, and they also mentioned a diagnostic charge. At the time I wasn't aware of the recall but they should have been.

Volvo is a marque whose reputation is founded on safety and one I would have expected you to comply or even exceed the statutory safety requirements in UK law. I look forward to a prompt response but will consider referring this to the DVSA for their consideration if I'm not satisfied with it.

Yours Sincerely,
Ian W
I will post any reply when received.
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 23:05   #199
Ian W XC60

Short, sweet and to the point, Volvo CS reply below:
Quote:
Dear Ian,
Thank you for your email.

We can confirm that diagnostic fees are charged by all of our retailers as standard and if the fault that is diagnosed does not relate to the recent Safety Notification this is not something that Volvo will be able to cover.

If the diagnostics show that it is indeed related to the Inlet Manifold issue, Volvo UK will certainly cover the diagnostic fee and any work that needs to be completed in relation to it.

Kind Regards,
I think there is an issue but probably not one I am best placed to fight given I would have booked it in with the dealer for them to check the engine light irrespective of the recall as I have the extended warranty and would cross my fingers and hope it's covered.
If someone who does their own DIY maintenance, like Zebster, gets the engine warning light then I think it would be reasonable to ask Vovo CS for the fault code(s) dealers are looking for to indicate the manifold problem. If they refused to supply them then a complaint to the DVSA and the Motoring Ombudsman would seem more than justified to me.

Same principal for someone who normally uses an indy for service and repairs would be my gut feeling.

I do think Volvo are bang out of order and very cavalier in what is potentially a very serious safety issue. If they'd offered to check whether it's the recall issue for free but charge for the diagnosis if you wanted to know what the light was on for if it wasn't the recall, that I think would be fair enough.
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 09:47   #200
MikeIOW
Premier Member

The fact that main dealers charge over £70 for the diagnostic plug-in is a major disgrace to start with......not covering it automatically on the basis of this scare-mongering vague-half-recall letter is outrageous.
Going from loving my Volvo (which hasn’t had any issues) to feeling I won’t touch another, tbh!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeIOW For This Useful Post:

Tags
egr problems, v60 d4