Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

From XC60 to….?

Views : 2822

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 11th, 2019, 11:01   #1
id5
Premier Member

Default From XC60 to….?

Well our XC60 is coming up to its 5 birthday and it is time for a change. Don’t worry this is not going to be a massive post like Arianne’s ‘What are we going to buy next…crap we brought the wrong one’ post. This should be far shorter. The XC60 has always been my wife’s car so the choice of its replacement is hers. It has still taken a few months but at least I have spared my forum colleagues from the agony.
Another XC60 – No, the new one drives like a land whale with no feedback from the steering. The centre console was also too square giving a bulky feeling. Had the test drive and never looked back.
XC40 – She wanted something smaller but still a sit up and beg driving position. No, the materials it is made from were of a poorer quality that the XC60. Harder plastics in the cabin, no real carpet in the boot and the same boot material used in the door panels. So off to…

Audi – Q1 to Q5, No. Drove well but quite bumpy. Poor quality materials in every version.
Jeep – No, didn’t want to drive something that looks like a Tonka Toy.
BMW – No, not after that piece of rubbish we had from them before.
Merc – No, who on earth would put an iPad vertically out of a dash.
Lexus – No, too angular and another badly fitted iPad.
Jag – Test drive went well, likes the interior and materials, didn’t want an electric car yet and F-Pace isn’t smaller. E-Pace was nearly there until it came to colour choice.
Porsche – Macan ticked all the boxes, interior was lovely, drove well. Stepped out and the ridge on the body below the door hits the calf. No, wants a door that covers the body shell so her dress or trousers do not get dirty when she steps out.
Land Rover – Too big, too big, too big but she likes the Evoque. Test drive was good, materials goods, ticks all the boxes including covered body shell in the doorway. Same colour choice as the Jag but we were outside in the sunlight and she saw a different colour and that wasn’t in the Jag line up.
So, we have now placed an order for an Evoque HSE D240 fully loaded in Seoul pearl silver, delivery in early December and I have saved you all some blow by blow agony.

We are not sure how best to pay for it but the salesman did come up with the thought of PCP because of the Guaranteed Future Value. His reasoning was that in four years time diesel cars will be still in vogue, all swapped for petrol or banned so it is a bit of insurance as the resale value is fixed. An interesting thought that may deserve its own thread in one of the other sections.

So is anyone interested in buying a 5-year-old XC60 D5 AWD December, or I could use it myself and sell the V40. Decisions, decisions, decisions…if only I knew what to do next 😊
id5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2019, 13:46   #2
SuffolkBoy
VOC Member

Some very sound reasoning there ID5, you have obviously done an awful lot of research.
The only fly in the ointment of your final decision as far as I can see is the choice of the JLR Diesel engine.
One of the SPA threads recently, headed “Oil overfill warning??!!??”, has a JLR document warning of early services required due to oil dilution and suggests dealers suggest petrol engines to customers who don’t cover many miles.
Might be worth having a quick read of the thread to make sure that you are happy with the Diesel engine choice.
Old Aug 11th, 2019, 22:00   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Talking

See you again soon in 3 - 5 years.....
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2019, 22:25   #4
Rex65

Interestingly I've been going through the same dilemma as my lease is up in January.
I've had many Jaguars over the years and always enjoyed them so am leaning back in that direction again.
Old Aug 12th, 2019, 00:34   #5
MikeIOW
Premier Member

I feel robbed of 100 pages of anxiety!!

But seriously (& I *did* enjoy Arianne's journey, even if not the destination...wonder what he is driving now?!) - I think you've made a fair decision.

Similar dilemma here - 5 years next month in ours....so we decided on a change this year.....& decided (for now!) to keep the XC60 and swap our other car for an electric 64kWh Hyundai Kona - & what an amazing glimpse into the future the Kona EV is! Couldn't be our ONLY car....but the 240-300mile range (depending on right foot!) is pretty impressive, & for the past 8 weeks we've had it, I can say it has been the main car we step into.

Of course, I still ought to consider replacing the XC60 - 5 years is a long time with one car, but then again, my miles are lower now than 5 years ago....& maybe the better the devil you know....

Ultimately no vehicle is perfect....hopefully your (her!) new Evoque will be close enough!
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeIOW For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2019, 09:47   #6
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkBoy View Post
Some very sound reasoning there ID5, you have obviously done an awful lot of research.
The only fly in the ointment of your final decision as far as I can see is the choice of the JLR Diesel engine.
One of the SPA threads recently, headed “Oil overfill warning??!!??”, has a JLR document warning of early services required due to oil dilution and suggests dealers suggest petrol engines to customers who don’t cover many miles.
Might be worth having a quick read of the thread to make sure that you are happy with the Diesel engine choice.
It is a concern along with the failed regen problem or the use of too much AdBlue, but the problems do not affect every car. They also both seem subject to how they are used and who services them. We may be lucky or unlucky on either as there seems to be no fixed rules, just suggestions on how the problem should be adverted if you do get it. Land Rover are also doing free of charge oil change and AdBlue fills if it is out of the normal service intervals but this is not widely advertised it seems.

We did test drive a P200 but it was a bit gutless. The P250 is equivalent to the diesel we have specified and is roughly the same price. The more powerful P300 £1,750 extra and both petrol’s also increase the tax costs. But and here is the biggy, whilst my wife does understand that there is very little in cost over the time we will own the car, she would have to fill up more often with a petrol and it seems that she has to spend more. I am still working to alleviate that concern and I have until the 1st of November if I want to change the build. It may happen…
The Following User Says Thank You to id5 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2019, 09:49   #7
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
See you again soon in 3 - 5 years.....
Yes, it could happen and would be our 6th Volvo if it does. They need to improve the interior quality though. Just because other brands have gone that way it does not mean that Volvo should.
Old Aug 12th, 2019, 10:24   #8
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeIOW View Post
I feel robbed...
Similar dilemma here - 5 years next month in ours....so we decided on a change this year.....& decided (for now!) to keep the XC60 and swap our other car for an electric 64kWh Hyundai Kona - & what an amazing glimpse into the future the Kona EV is!....
Ultimately no vehicle is perfect....hopefully your (her!) new Evoque will be close enough!
Arianne's thread was a doozy but life is short and mine getting shorter all the time

The next new car we get may well be an EV or at least a hybrid. I suspect that my wife will want to step down in size again and an EV or at least a mild hybrid will fit the bill.

As for me, I am likely to continue in the V40 for the next year and then possible buy a big orange Disco for no other reason than they make me smile every time I see one. My wife says that I should get something that makes me smile. I did say that there’s this woman in the next village…It’s funny how sharp pain can make your eyes water….
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to id5 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 17:07   #9
id5
Premier Member

The ponder to a P300 is alive and kicking especially after I find out it is a MHEV and its real world mpg return is better than expected according to those on a similar forum dedicated to the Evoque. I have asked the dealer to give me a price on both.
The Following User Says Thank You to id5 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2019, 18:15   #10
Considered1
Premier Member

Good luck with the new car ID5, your posts have always been the most technically informed and exactly to the point, never like Arianne "look at what I've been driving (or have been loaned)

Just a point on the PCP and Gtd future value I have never heard of a car being worth less than the GFV but my neighbour had a Skoda parked up for several weeks whilst they came and retreived their very undervalued car. The value was much less than the GFV, great car in my opinion and a good buy for someone but I think PCP (if you cant Contract Hire) is the way to go so to speak, baring in mind exact term, mileage etc means the GFV never applies anyway so undershoot and park it up towards the end!

very best regards
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Considered1 For This Useful Post: