Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

OBD Code PO380

Views : 5034

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2011, 15:17   #1
Uncle Tom Cobley

Default OBD Code PO380

I have just had the opportunity of using an OBD code reader on my 2004 V40 1.9 Diesel 115bhp (D4192T3) and it has come up with the code PO380 described as 'Glow plug/Heater CKT malfunction'.

Does anyone know specifically what this problem is and what is required to fix it?

I have no idea how long this problem may have been present but the car starts and runs fine.

Thanks.
Uncle Tom Cobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 15:48   #2
gatos
Premier Member

Have you tried resetting the error code and if yes, does it come up again?

It could be one of the glow plugs failing or the fuse or a relay

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=36334

Quote:
hi a quick way to check rely is to remove connectors to glow plugs and check for live feed, ie put testlight between connector and earth,get someone to turn on the ignitionjust to lights (dont need to crank engine)if testlamp lights relay circuit ok. if not possible relay fault(may also be temp sensor fault)glow plugs dont need to work if ambiant temp/engine
I will check on Vadis tonight when I get home from work and see if there is a relay for the glow plugs.

Out of curiosity, what OBD code reader are you using?
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 23:36   #3
Uncle Tom Cobley

Thanks for responding Gatos.

Yes, this malfunction returns after clearing it.

The car starts fine, even during the very cold weather in December, despite the fact that it's parked outside, so if there is a Glow Plug problem it surely can't be effecting all four.

The code reader is of the type you can purchase on eBay for around £60. It's described as a MemoScan U581 CAN BUS Code Reader OBDII/EOBD Live Data Scanner. It came from a company called "Talk To My Car".

No other malfunctions come up on the code reader.
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 01:01   #4
Darlo 1
Lunatic.

I have the same fault code, cleared it once and it came back but no starting problems at all. I use a memo scan u480.
Darlo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 09:05   #5
gatos
Premier Member

True but you might be getting a fault because 1 of the glow plugs is malfunctioning. I would still check the voltages as per the link i quoted above. If the fuse was out, then non of the glow plugs would work and you would have realised it in the cold days.

I would expect a reading of 12V. If the readings are ok I would assume the relay is ok too.

Another thing to be aware oftoo is ot to rely 100% on the error readings of these san tools. In quite a few occasions, people said that their EU702, MS509, U380, U480 etc readers were showing certain codes and when checking with a VCT2000 or a DICE different codes were coming up. I got an EU702 last night, reset my SRS but can't get it to read any engine codes or generic OBD2 codes atall as it will not communicate with my car
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 18:38   #6
Uncle Tom Cobley

Thanks again.

Do the letters CKT on the code mean Circuit?

It seems pretty clear to me that the problem is not with the fuse or relay otherwise I would have starting difficulties during the very cold weather.

I guess then it puts the problem down to one of the glow plugs or the circuit supplying one of the these plugs.

I haven't inspected the vehicle for this fault nor indeed have I owned a diesel vehicle before so I'm not familiar with glow plugs. Presumably there is a lead for each glow plug which attaches to the top of the plug and therefore readily detaches. With the ignition turned on and the engine cold I should be able to detach these and check there is a current to each.

Similarly I should be able to detach each lead and measure the resistance for each glow plug by attaching a meter between the top of the glow plug and earth. Do have know what value resistance I should find?

The U591 code reader I have seems to generally work on the car (although I note your comments concerning the reliability of the results), however it does not read all information. For example it's supposed to be able to read the VIN number but doesn't. It does read live data (rpm, temp etc) but so does the car's own instruments, and clearly reads at least some codes to have identified this PO380 fault.
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 22:38   #7
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Tom Cobley View Post
Thanks again.

Do the letters CKT on the code mean Circuit?
No idea....

Quote:
Presumably there is a lead for each glow plug which attaches to the top of the plug and therefore readily detaches. With the ignition turned on and the engine cold I should be able to detach these and check there is a current to each.
Correct. I was under the impression that it should be 12V but from having a look online it seems to be 5V. Not sure so don't take my word for it.

Quote:
Similarly I should be able to detach each lead and measure the resistance for each glow plug by attaching a meter between the top of the glow plug and earth. Do have know what value resistance I should find?
I would expect something between 0.9 and 1.1Ω (Ohms)
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post: