Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

new car

Views : 2053

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 6th, 2010, 18:37   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyvää View Post
Theres quite a few different gearboxes in the varying forms of S40's that were made, I do hope your father sourced the correct one or I fear it might not last too long and you will have to do a swap all over again.
I was thinking that ! The T4 uses the Volvo 850 gearbox not the renault one ..
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 18:47   #12
gdphillips
ba baracus...

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaty19 View Post
Hi ive just become proud owner of a s40 .
Its an R reg and needs work doing before i can use it though .
I previously owned a rover 25 and sold due to never ending head gasket problems and realy needed money.
Anyways my dad did a bit of buying and selling cars and took the s40 in part ex over a year ago and it became apparent that ther was problems when the car was in higher gears. He bought a low mileaged gearbox for it but thats as far as it ever got.
I was owed some wages from spending a week working for him and with money being tight he suggested scrapping the car and gearbox and me having the money but as i am currently car-less and having heard a volvo is a good car to have i decided to become the new owner instead.
I believe it is a good spec with leather interior and alloys and cant wait to get it on the road. It had 9 months MOT when bought so despite the gearbox prob i believe it to be in good condition.
Im sorry this is my first post and if i have bored anyone i promise there will be more to come,especially having scanned over the forum and seeing the great help you guys give and hopefully be able to help aswel or at least give opinions . I was just wondering if there are any how to guides on a gearbox swap or if anyone can give me advice / point me in the right direction.

Thanks Michael
welcome along enjoy the car im sure theres enough people to help along the way as you get to no the car.....
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 22:14   #13
beaty19

Thanks for the info on its performance and how economical the car is.
Extremely useful info about the gearbox aswel, ill ask about it and see if he can remember, i seriously hope he checked this and didnt just assume .
Is there anyway i can check to see if i have the right one. Do they have a code or something that will allow me to tell or is it down to size and shape that i wil have to look at.
I now have it in a rented space in a building my dad is renting and have full access to a car ramp and every snap on tool imaginable , mechanic sub-renting space is off ill so i have a week to hopefully get this swap done and anything else i come across. Handbrake is another issue i came across today it is almost non existent and certainly doesnt stop car.
Thanks again for help and advice.
beaty19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 22:42   #14
stevo48
Premier Member

Hi,the handbrake issue is almost certain to be rear caliper sliding bolts/pins siezed, or if not that it will be siezed handbrake cable. calipers are easily re-furbished with liberal amounts of copper slip.
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 23:50   #15
Volvon
Master Member

Be the M56 gearbox will it in a T4? There'll be someone more technically minded than myself along shortly who'll tell you what where and how no doubt

Volvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 23:27   #16
beaty19

Hi just fort i would update on the car, i emptied it today and found i had both the front brake asssemblies, crossmember, lights, driveshafts e.t.c.
Also checked haynes manual and got car up on ramp and can confirm both gearbox are the same .
I was speaking to a friend who did mechanics at college and learnt a bit but never carried it through into a career and he offered to help out.
Seems my weekend project moved forward a few days and i currently have everything stripped from the gearbox and all top bolts undone, i left it supperted with an engine lift and all engine mounts removed.
Only thing stopping gearbox coming out is a couple of bolts, o yes and and driveshaft . Its quite a sore subject as we spent a good 30 mins just trying to get the hub bolt off and in the end only thing that worked was heating it up and plenty of wd40, every nut or bolt i came across was rusty and took a while to free. Then the worst bit happened, as when taking the abs out of the hub it snapped and now i dnt knw what to do or if it can be replaced/swapped/removed, it was getting late and seemed best thing was to walk away and have another look tomorrow.
Just a quick question, whats the best way to remove driveshafts, it mentioned removing split pin but i couldnt seem to find one, is it undeneath one of the rubbers?
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 23:46   #17
Volvon
Master Member

ds1.jpg

ds2.jpg

ds3.jpg

Old Dec 11th, 2010, 02:49   #18
beaty19

Thanks hyvää the info you provided realy helped .
I now have gearbox out and replacement gearbox and clutch ready to go in.
The passenger side driveshaft was in solid and i only manged to remove it by removing hub assembly completely and using a vice and set of pulleys, two of the splines weere damaged but no damage to grooves on inside of hub so i am slighty confused unless it happened when fitted or removed.
The good news is i managed to drill the abs sensor out and have sourced a replacement for £20, once fitted should it just work or will i need to do something/go somewhere?.
I have decided that whilst the car is up on ramp i am going to replace pads and possibly discs and give it a service.
I was wondering if you could help me on what i should buy and replace and if there are things i should check (i.e anything that is known to be an issue or become faulty/wear regularly) and best cheapest place to purchase from. I am hoping to get the parts over weekend if possible.
Thanks again
Old Dec 11th, 2010, 18:37   #19
beaty19

Any ideas?
Old Dec 11th, 2010, 19:56   #20
Volvon
Master Member

No problem! Glad it helped!

I can't think of anything, theres nothing really wrong in that department on these cars. Maybe just check the brake pipes/hoses for corrosion while your down there if it's done big miles. Check the rear pipes for corrosion while its on the ramp as these can (and do) go without warning.