Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Would you buy another Volvo?

Views : 165798

Replies : 612

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Would you buy another Volvo?
Definitely yes 577 54.18%
Likely yes 329 30.89%
Probably no 113 10.61%
No way Nellie 46 4.32%
Voters: 1065. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 28th, 2019, 14:49   #491
BroadwayBlueshirt

I voted probably no as

I tend not to go the same route as I like a change.

And, this will do me 5-6 years until I retire and will then downsize to a petrol. My car does loads of m/w miles so no DPF issues. The use will differ when I retire.
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 10:40   #492
afeee

I voted yes but have a second thought now because of all the EGR drama what is affecting basically all Diesel engines. I can not believe that Volvo doesn't do a recall of all Diesel engine cars from 2010 and up to fix it permanently. Rather just a hotfix what the consumer has to pay it self. When I read stories about people paying up to 4K in British Pounds and issues still not solved I kinda doubt the reliability of Volvo's and especially the customer care. Also if I want to do a map update for my navigation I have to pay like $100 first for a software update. I think this is a complete ripoff and these kind of updates should be available for free. Microsoft does send out updates regularly for free to keep it's system safe and secure. Volvo is famous about it's safety but it comes with a pricetag afterwards and continues to take money out your pocket. So I highly doubt I will buy another Volvo ever again. Considering to switch over to BMW, more power, cheaper to run.
afeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2019, 21:24   #493
DTaylor

Not sure, I'll decide next week.

Had 3 - all brilliant, no issues. V40 (old type) V70 and two V60 D4's

Have a V60 at the moment that has been into the dealers 3 times to repair a fault. I'm £100's out of pocket and the car still has the same fault. They keep finding things that are "wrong," fixing them, but it's not curing the problem. To be fair to the dealer the problem is intermittent.

It goes in again next week. IF it doesn't get fixed, and it costs me even more money I will drop the V60 and look for a Japanese petrol based car I think, maybe a Mazda 6. My V60 has the D4 VEA engine and I feel like I'm driving round in a ticking time bomb all the time waiting for EGR valve/cooler to fail.
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 22:20   #494
TimCarter

Default Not ever, ever, again

I've had 3 S80's and an XC70, and now have a beautiful V90 CC Pro. The problem is my Inscription seats are so uncomfortable and despite my local dealer trying their best, they cannot sort the problem out.

Volvo customer service have been involved but refuse to come out and actually sit in my car. They have given me the run around for months and although I can find others with a similar issue, and even though they refuse to test the seat, they keep saying they know better about my seat than me. I wonder if they have some sort of crystal ball.

I have been appalled by the nature of their responses, and their statement I should just go off to the Motor Ombudsman.

So no, I will never purchase another Volvo and will tell anyone who should ever ask me to think twice about doing so, and at least have an hour test drive to ensure the seats in the car they are thinking about do not leave them in discomfort afterwards.
TimCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 02:42   #495
volvocat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCarter View Post
I've had 3 S80's and an XC70, and now have a beautiful V90 CC Pro. The problem is my Inscription seats are so uncomfortable and despite my local dealer trying their best, they cannot sort the problem out.

Volvo customer service have been involved but refuse to come out and actually sit in my car. They have given me the run around for months and although I can find others with a similar issue, and even though they refuse to test the seat, they keep saying they know better about my seat than me. I wonder if they have some sort of crystal ball.

I have been appalled by the nature of their responses, and their statement I should just go off to the Motor Ombudsman.

So no, I will never purchase another Volvo and will tell anyone who should ever ask me to think twice about doing so, and at least have an hour test drive to ensure the seats in the car they are thinking about do not leave them in discomfort afterwards.
Sorry to hear this.
I have heard of XC60 Inscription seat problems but not V90.
No issues with my V90CC ventilated nappa seats (equivalent to Inscription spec), so exactly what trouble are you having?
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2019, 10:40   #496
DTaylor

I am pretty sure this will be my last Volvo, which is a shame because I really like them. Have owned 4 now, V40 V70 and 2xV60's.
My last one is plagued by an issue of it giving off oily fumes from the back of the engine that the dealership don't seem to be able to get to the bottom of. Also there is the EGR valve and cooler issues (mine has already had the modifications done for this) and last week it has started to not set the alarm when I lock it. Pretty sure it is down to the actuator on the drivers door, but my previous one did this as well, so it would seem that when they did the facelift around 2015 they couldn't be bothered to sort this out. Now it's going to be another £300 bill to fix this KNOWN ISSUE.

I've never had so many problems with a car as this last one, the quality just doesn't seem to be there anymore. I will probably stick with it until next year and swap it for something non Volvo.
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 23:21   #497
GrahamHR

I really am not sure I'd buy another.

I had, company cars:
1995 850 GLT, 2.0 estate, awfully underpowered but well built/ reliable
1997 V70 2.5 SE, nice, OK
2001 V70 S 2.4 (awful!; lots of power, seriously under specced with tyres terrible interior build quality, problems with MAP sensor, going into limp mode on a dual carriageway; recall in the USA, not in Europe)

Then cars bought with a car allowance.

2004 V70 D5 SE; nice, excellent build quality, very dodgy engine electircs (water ingress)

A Ford for 9 years ( ST220 Estate, no major costs, not even a battery)

Private cars;

V60 Polestar. Dodgy battery charging despite the dealer saying it's normal for it to be below 12.3 V. It isn't!!!!!!! Smart charging apparently !
Weird behaviour when the battery is invariably discharged.
I love driving the car, but I really shouldn't have to connect it to a battery charger when it's not being used for as few days !
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 23:13   #498
GrahamHR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHR View Post
I really am not sure I'd buy another.

I had, company cars:
1995 850 GLT, 2.0 estate, awfully underpowered but well built/ reliable
1997 V70 2.5 SE, nice, OK
2001 V70 S 2.4 (awful!; lots of power, seriously under specced with tyres terrible interior build quality, problems with MAP sensor, going into limp mode on a dual carriageway; recall in the USA, not in Europe)

Then cars bought with a car allowance.

2004 V70 D5 SE; nice, excellent build quality, very dodgy engine electircs (water ingress)

A Ford for 9 years ( ST220 Estate, no major costs, not even a battery)

Private cars;

V60 Polestar. Dodgy battery charging despite the dealer saying it's normal for it to be below 12.3 V. It isn't!!!!!!! Smart charging apparently !
Weird behaviour when the battery is invariably discharged.
I love driving the car, but I really shouldn't have to connect it to a battery charger when it's not being used for as few days !
Plus cooling fans always running when the engine is running; might be an aircon low pressure issue apparently, but on a 14,000 mile car ? My last car was a 2006 Mondeo, 90,000 miles, no such issue. If it's a big bill to sort it, I'll pay it but I'm gone and anyone I know from Volvo forever.
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 21:39   #499
tilney boy
tilney boy

Default tilney boy

hi, I have had 46 cars in my life 16 of which have been Volvos in between these I have had most makes including so called premier brands. I have always come back to Volvo.to be honest i have hardly laid spanner on any of them except follow the service intervals at this moment I have a new generation s90 a1997 s90 and a 1987 740 which we show at weekends, thanks
tilney boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2019, 03:16   #500
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTaylor View Post
Not sure, I'll decide next week.

Had 3 - all brilliant, no issues. V40 (old type) V70 and two V60 D4's

Have a V60 at the moment that has been into the dealers 3 times to repair a fault. I'm £100's out of pocket and the car still has the same fault. They keep finding things that are "wrong," fixing them, but it's not curing the problem. To be fair to the dealer the problem is intermittent.

It goes in again next week. IF it doesn't get fixed, and it costs me even more money I will drop the V60 and look for a Japanese petrol based car I think, maybe a Mazda 6. My V60 has the D4 VEA engine and I feel like I'm driving round in a ticking time bomb all the time waiting for EGR valve/cooler to fail.

OK, i have to ask, why did you pay for it or not request a refund each time?
I tend to scream black and blue and make a point of telling them prior to starting any work, keep the old parts cause if this does not fix it, youre putting them back on and trying something else.

I put prob buy another but it would depend on funding at the time, highly likely it would be back to a Laguna lol