Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

122S head gasket

Views : 1151

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 14:29   #1
niveketak
66 Amazon

Default 122S head gasket

After my thermostat stuck and Ruby boiled I have changed the thermostat but she still boils when driven slowly so I suspect the head gasket has gone. I am taking the engine out as the sump gasket needs changing so will buy a gasket kit.
Anybody changed the head gasket, any issues with the change.
niveketak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 14:39   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niveketak View Post
After my thermostat stuck and Ruby boiled I have changed the thermostat but she still boils when driven slowly so I suspect the head gasket has gone. I am taking the engine out as the sump gasket needs changing so will buy a gasket kit.
Anybody changed the head gasket, any issues with the change.
on a cast iron engine i would be very surprised if the head had warped and the gasket let go .... It is a piece of cake to get the head off of course . Maybe the gasket has just rotted though . I would try and confirm whether the engine is actually boiling or there is combustion gas bubbling through the head gasket . Does the TEMP gauge still go into the red ? Is the water pump pumping ?
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 15:38   #3
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Hardest part of doing the head gasket is taking the manifolds off ( and compared to most cars that is easy tbh)

It might just be age with the gasket and if the engine is out it's not a bad Idea to do it. Just have the machinist take off the least amount of material from the head to make it flat.

But before you do any of that make sure the pump is pumps Ng and that nothing is blocked.
classicswede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 20:28   #4
niveketak
66 Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
on a cast iron engine i would be very surprised if the head had warped and the gasket let go .... It is a piece of cake to get the head off of course . Maybe the gasket has just rotted though . I would try and confirm whether the engine is actually boiling or there is combustion gas bubbling through the head gasket . Does the TEMP gauge still go into the red ? Is the water pump pumping ?
The car has done 33000 kilometres from new but has spent 27 years parked up in various garages. The thermostat was completely seized up and I spent a good few minutes pulling it roughly apart and still didn't free it off. The cooling water was fairly brown. The temp gauge does go full deflection.
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 20:30   #5
niveketak
66 Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Hardest part of doing the head gasket is taking the manifolds off ( and compared to most cars that is easy tbh)

It might just be age with the gasket and if the engine is out it's not a bad Idea to do it. Just have the machinist take off the least amount of material from the head to make it flat.

But before you do any of that make sure the pump is pumps Ng and that nothing is blocked.
Problem here in rural France is that there are no engineering shops who are prepared to skim anything. I spoke to a friend in our club who after 50 years of classic ownership had no idea who could do the work! We will see when its all stripped.
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 21:20   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
The car has done 33000 kilometres from new but has spent 27 years parked up in various garages. The thermostat was completely seized up and I spent a good few minutes pulling it roughly apart and still didn't free it off. The cooling water was fairly brown. The temp gauge does go full deflection.
perhaps the water pump impeller has rusted away , well worth getting the pump off to examine first , easy to put back with a gasket and a few rubber rings .
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 21:22   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Problem here in rural France is that there are no engineering shops who are prepared to skim anything. I spoke to a friend in our club who after 50 years of classic ownership had no idea who could do the work! We will see when its all stripped.
Its unlikely a cast iron head has warped they are very tough, it's the modern alloy heads which can warp when overheated .

No need to get is skimmed until you know it is warped , you need a straight edge to check it .
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 23:39   #8
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
I highly recommend getting teh face cleaned up both for the cylinders and the manifold and yes these heads do distort.
classicswede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 00:49   #9
blueosprey90
Master Member

No machine shop, no problem.

https://youtu.be/HyKN52HD6RU

Also, if you are simply overheating, I doubt it is your head gasket. More likely the radiator or the water passages are full of rust.

Last edited by blueosprey90; Sep 23rd, 2019 at 01:11.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 11:10   #10
niveketak
66 Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueosprey90 View Post
No machine shop, no problem.

https://youtu.be/HyKN52HD6RU

Also, if you are simply overheating, I doubt it is your head gasket. More likely the radiator or the water passages are full of rust.
I did flush the radiator when I changed the thermostat but haven't checked the water pump impellor hadn't thought of that.

Last edited by niveketak; Sep 23rd, 2019 at 11:12.