Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aux. Cam Shaft Oil Seal

Views : 564

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 19th, 2005, 13:02   #1
CamZH

Hey Guys,
After replacing the front main seal on my 740 i found it was still leaking oil !

After stripping it down and inspecting it closer i found it was the aux cam seal, and it was totally stuffed !

I replaced it today and started in up with the cam belt on, but nothing else..
Ran fine, with no leaks for about 20-30 seconds!

then, pfft ! The aux cam seal got blown out !

Seems there is way too much pressure behind the seal !

I've read on the FAQ that the flame trap is often a cause of crankcase over pressure..
WTF is the flame trap ?? obviously part of the PCV system..

Has anyone else had this problem ??

thanks,
Cam
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 00:29   #2
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

The flame trap is hidden behind the bellows below the intake manifold and ablack plastic box attached to the block. The box also gunges up sometimes so if flame trap (you'll probably need a new holder as well since the little pipe tends to break off). Its a sealed box so if it won't clean you'll need to replace it.
I have come across pressurising caused by worn valve guides as well.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 12:17   #3
CamZH

Hi Mike,
thanks for the info, i'm still a little confused about this flam trap...

I found a little black plastic thing that was attached to the pcv outlet on the block today, it has 2 hoses coming from it, 1 big, that goes to the air intake, just below the belows. and another little hose that connects to the intake manifold.

The brass adaptor on the intake mainfold was completly blocked with old gungy oil crud !

So was the other black plastic thing attached to the block, it wasn't sealed, had a hose clamp around it to keep it in 1 piece, and inside was a very coarse filter, which was also very blocked ! Is this the flame trap ??
I wouldnt call it a box as it was round ! But it was where you described.

Seems to run ok now that these have been cleared !

Thanks,
Cam
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 16:18   #4
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

The flame trap is like a circular plastic disc with holes drilled in it that fits in the black y piece - sounds as if you sorted those ok. The box I was referring to is bolted to the block and my suspicion is this will be blocked as well - to be honest from what you are saying about the muck the engine may not be in very good condition but it could just be very severe neglect. I've got an engine that's done over 250,000 and the breather hardly needs cleaning and I still use little oil - worn valve guides are the main problem.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 13:56   #5
CamZH

Hi Mike,
I put it all back together today, seems to be running ok, but a little underpowered ? seems the same as before tho..

But i think your right, this motor hasnt been treated well ! its showing 312,000kms on the clock. To be honest i'm not too worried, all i need at the moment is to have a motor that runs and gets her from a to b. As i plan on replacing the motor in the not too distant future.

thanks,
Cam
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 01:08   #6
bbruneau
MendocinoCountyCA

My first post!

I also replaced the cam seal on the way to discovering blockage in my crankcase ventilation.
First of all as I replaced the timing belt (might as well) which had nice markings for all three pulleys, one of which was off! Maybe that is just US manufacturers but the camshaft marking was correct for no tension but was off a cog in timing when I tightened it down! All the timing marks refer to everything tightened down. That is not always intuitive.
About the "flame trap" and the black box on the bottom of the block. In my case the flame trap simply wasn't there - in my 86 740 GLE I assume it should be in the black box where the big hose goes out the top.
Finally, for something useful for your problem, do be sure that the hoses are all clear. The tiny vacuum hose (for the idle) on my car was stopped up and caused an amazing amount of oil to leak out.
bbruneau is offline   Reply With Quote