Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xenon LWR Level Adjustment Sensor Swap - 2005 V70 Facelift

Views : 1706

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 23:58   #1
V70 D5 SE AUTO 05

Exclamation Xenon LWR Level Adjustment Sensor Swap - 2005 V70 Facelift

Hello first time posting!

I have upgraded from a 1998 V40 to a 2005 V70 (round of applause).

Can anyone tell me where I unplug the headlight level adjustment cable (is it in the fuse box in the boot (trunk) of the car?)

Only trouble is the headlights do the dance on start up. Motor all the way up, and then motor all the way down with a warning saying something about a headlight service. I am currently driving with my Xenon lights pointing approximately 3 metres in front of the car.

I troubleshooted the problem;

- Fuses all fine.
- Both headlight motors are fine.
- Bulbs working correctly.
- Cables plugged in.
- Problem must be a level adjustment sensor.

Part number 8622446.

Now I managed to find the rear sensor. I removed it, cleaned the connection with brake cleaner. This didn't fix the problem. During this process I also damaged the rubber gasket which helps ingress of dirt and moisture in the connection.

I have bought the sensor and cable pictured to replace the original sensor and cable. Should be a simple job.

I have a wiring diagram in the Haynes manual (which is in the car). If needed I can find that and upload the image for someone who can better read it?

Where do I unplug the old sensor, and replug the new one? Fuse box?

Many thanks,

Sam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600-42.jpg (166.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600-43.jpg (117.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600-44.jpg (180.9 KB, 14 views)
V70 D5 SE AUTO 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 18:44   #2
V70 D5 SE AUTO 05

Update:

Bought a second hand sensor, shipped from germany off an XC90. Worked! Only trouble we had was getting the sensor off the bracket. Had to grind off the M5 torx bolt. But, it works! Proper job. Ordering new bolt now.
V70 D5 SE AUTO 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 11:07   #3
arcascomp

Sorry for the thread resurrection, but hopefully you'll be able to point me in the right direction. I have a 2007 XC70 without the 4C suspension, but with auto levelling headlights that like to illuminate the road right in front of the car. I've had a quick look, but can't see the sensor, any points where to find it? the diagram doesn't really point out how it's attached. A photo would be excellent!

Cheers
arcascomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2024, 15:12   #4
enotslim

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcascomp View Post
Sorry for the thread resurrection, but hopefully you'll be able to point me in the right direction. I have a 2007 XC70 without the 4C suspension, but with auto levelling headlights that like to illuminate the road right in front of the car. I've had a quick look, but can't see the sensor, any points where to find it? the diagram doesn't really point out how it's attached. A photo would be excellent!

Cheers
Same question for 2004 XC70. Found my sensor in the left rear location (not right as advertised most places) but hanging free by the cable due to corroded bolts. Can't figure out how it connects to subframe or to whatever element moves with the body of the car (not the link to the suspension). The articulated arm connects to two female fittings obscured by corrosdion in the attached photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240206_172407.jpg (281.4 KB, 12 views)
enotslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2024, 16:21   #5
arcascomp

Wow, forgot all about this thread - I've since sold the car, now in the hands of another forum member. From memory and from looking at pictures of sensors online (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334346990563) I *think* the triangular part on the end of the 'arm' mounts to the suspension just below where it's sitting in that photo. You can see a slightly lighter area of rust where it should be screwed in.

The black box part has a metal bracket that has one screw holding it onto the subframe fairly close to where it's sitting. If you look at the ebay photo, which may be the right one, may not be, I think that bracket wraps over the top of a part of the subframe in someway. I recall taking ages to find where the screw/bolt was supposed to go - I recall using my phone camera to take pictures all over to try and find the rusted remains of a hole somewhere!

Sorry, not really the answer you were looking for! Good luck.
2002 V70 D5 163 - off to the car equivalent of the UHU factory for horses
arcascomp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to arcascomp For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2024, 21:10   #6
enotslim

Thanks. That matches my experience. I see the fitting and 2 holes on the suspension. Having trouble with the bracket attaching to the sensor just as you describe. I'll try my endoscope to see what's up there. It's very much out of the way. Not at all like the online videos.
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 14:55   #7
enotslim

I found the fitting for the bracket that attaches directly to the sensor. A tab on the bracket fits in a slot (yellow rectangle) and a screw (yellow circle) holds the bracket against the subframe as in the attached photo (view from below and behind the left rear axle with wheel removed and on jack stand).

I removed the sensor, bracket and link from the vehicle, cleaned them a bit and freed the ball joints in the link (both were seized) by rotating the parts many times. The ball joints are still gritty but move freely. The screw fittings on the sensor are corroded and may fail. As is only one will actually attach to the bracket and fashioning new fittings risks damaging the sensor (see photo). But I’m optimistic these original parts will still function when replaced in the vehicle. Otherwise it’s ~$150 USD to replace new.

So now I need one screw to attach the sensor bracket to the subframe and two screws to attach the triangular link bracket to the suspension arm. Any suggestions about how to identify the proper screws other than trial and error? I haven't found these screws in any parts list that might identify their thread pattern. I don’t want to strip the female portions by trial and error.

FCP Euro has been able to identify parts like this for me in the past. I’ve purchased enough from them that I think they will help even I don’t buy anything this time.
Attached Images
File Type: png headlight_level_sensor_bracket_attachment_subframe.png (177.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: png 2024-02-11 02.45.54_crop_levels.png (240.7 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by enotslim; Feb 11th, 2024 at 14:58.
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 23:11   #8
enotslim

Quote:
Originally Posted by enotslim View Post
...Any suggestions about how to identify the proper screws other than trial and error? I haven't found these screws in any parts list that might identify their thread pattern. I don’t want to strip the female portions by trial and error.
Holes in the brackets are 2.5-2.8 mm using electronic caliper. There can't be too many options for screws this size to secure to the subframe and suspension. Are they simple sheet metal screws? No place to fit nuts and bolts.

Tags
adjustment, headlight, level, sensor, xenon