Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 T4 PH1 water pump leak?

Views : 1717

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 19th, 2019, 17:41   #21
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil H View Post
As you can see here, it is a Volvo pump on the car, i'm wonder of the gasket has just failed or bolts have come loose.

And here you can just about see the water glistening at the bottom of the cover.

I've just done a quote search online with https://www.whocanfixmycar.com and got proces ranging from £320 to £400 for a belts and pump change, no doubt they will not be quoting for an OEM pump though.
It is hard to see from the photos , isn't the stain well above the pump though?
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 18:13   #22
Neil H
New V40 Owner

the only stains were on the pipes but I guess that could have been coming from spillages when filling the bottle.
The dripping is absolutely coming from behind the cover, so its either the pump, the gasket maybe a bung plug in the block?
I thought there was a possibility of it coming from the metal pipe that is on the back but i can't see it coming from anywhere but the cover as shown in the video.
I've booked it into my local garage who are going to do a diagnosis for £75 plus VAT tomorrow, I know this whole thing is going to hurt my wallet but I'm all out of options, i don't have the tools or a decent working space to do it myself and its constantly ****ing with rain

I really appreciate your help, hopefully, I'll know more after the garage has looked at it.

Cheers

London, UK
Current Car - 1999 T4 V40 Ph1 66k AKA "Heather"
My Previous Car: V40 2.0T 2000 Volvo V40 2.0T (B4204T3)
Neil H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 13:13   #23
Neil H
New V40 Owner

Just got back from the garage that's had the car over the weekend to look at where the leak is coming from they say its definitely the pump and want £750 to change the pump and belts.
That's really out of my price range and they said they'll have a chat amongst themselves and see if they can come up with a better deal because I'm local (just across the road) etc. I maybe they have given me the "customer who doesn't know anything" price and are regrouping to see what their bottom line would be but I've told them I don't have £750.
I understand its a pig of a job and they probably don't really want to do it.

So what do I do buy the parts and just suck it up and attempt it myself without a decent set of tools?
Can I get away with a basic set of sockets and spanners or are there something i will really struggle without?
Can I get the belts done as a first timer?
Do i just try and sell the car as is to someone else who might be able to do the job, I'm in a whole world of confusion right now

London, UK
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 13:22   #24
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Just got back from the garage that's had the car over the weekend to look at where the leak is coming from they say its definitely the pump and want £750 to change the pump and belts.
That's really out of my price range and they said they'll have a chat amongst themselves and see if they can come up with a better deal because I'm local (just across the road) etc. I maybe they have given me the "customer who doesn't know anything" price and are regrouping to see what their bottom line would be but I've told them I don't have £750.
I understand its a pig of a job and they probably don't really want to do it.

So what do I do buy the parts and just suck it up and attempt it myself without a decent set of tools?
Can I get away with a basic set of sockets and spanners or are there something i will really struggle without?
Can I get the belts done as a first timer?
Do i just try and sell the car as is to someone else who might be able to do the job, I'm in a whole world of confusion right now
you would get a better deal from a volvo dealer ,
It is not a bad job to do quite straight forward if you are used to changing cam belts ..

volvo time for cambelt and aux belt = 2.1 hours
and water pump an extra 0.7 hour so 2.8 , call it 3 hours labour .. + parts of course .
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 14:41   #25
Neil H
New V40 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
you would get a better deal from a volvo dealer ,
It is not a bad job to do quite straight forward if you are used to changing cam belts ..

volvo time for cambelt and aux belt = 2.1 hours
and water pump an extra 0.7 hour so 2.8 , call it 3 hours labour .. + parts of course .
Thanks, maybe I'll give my local Volvo place a call just out of interest I can try other less local garages too (some I got quotes from via the whocanfixmycar.com site) I'm just waiting to hear back from Volvo about the cost of genuine parts, I'm guessing none of these garages (except Volvo themselves) would use genuine parts.
Might see if they will let me supply the parts from Volvo and just pay them for labour.
Still on the fence about doing it myself but i'd rather not have to.

London, UK

Last edited by Neil H; Jun 24th, 2019 at 14:50.
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 15:40   #26
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks, maybe I'll give my local Volvo place a call just out of interest I can try other less local garages too (some I got quotes from via the whocanfixmycar.com site) I'm just waiting to hear back from Volvo about the cost of genuine parts, I'm guessing none of these garages (except Volvo themselves) would use genuine parts.
Might see if they will let me supply the parts from Volvo and just pay them for labour.
Still on the fence about doing it myself but i'd rather not have to.
don't let them fit non volvo parts especially the water pump , you won't want to be back in the same situation in a few years time ... parts will be about £250 i guess , see if they will give you discount try FRF volvo dealer for parts who advertise here , you have to give them discount code C3 ...
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 16:24   #27
Neil H
New V40 Owner

Thanks, I got some prices from FRF with the discount that made it £210 all in and the local garage that took a look at it before agreed to come down to £500 (plus the £75 I already gave them) and agreed to use genuine Volvo parts (I was there just now while they phoned them to place the order).
So £575 all in with genuine parts and I'll have it back Wednesday night.
Its a killer on my wallet but at least it's all in hand now, Phew!

Really appreciate your help and reassurance Clan, I know I might be paying slightly over the odds but I'll have to accept it, swallow it and move on.

Flippin cars eh!

London, UK
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 16:31   #28
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks, I got some prices from FRF with the discount that made it £210 all in and the local garage that took a look at it before agreed to come down to £500 (plus the £75 I already gave them) and agreed to use genuine Volvo parts (I was there just now while they phoned them to place the order).
So £575 all in with genuine parts and I'll have it back Wednesday night.
Its a killer on my wallet but at least it's all in hand now, Phew!

Really appreciate your help and reassurance Clan, I know I might be paying slightly over the odds but I'll have to accept it, swallow it and move on.

Flippin cars eh!
yes cars ! where would we be without them .. I'm sure you will feel happy when you drive it home and for many years afterwards ...and at least you get a decent years labour and parts warranty not that you should need it .
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 16:38   #29
Neil H
New V40 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
yes cars ! where would we be without them .. I'm sure you will feel happy when you drive it home and for many years afterwards ...and at least you get a decent years labour and parts warranty not that you should need it .
Yeah, it's quite a relief to not be in the no man's land of "what the hell am I gonna do now?" and not have to worry about it.
Now I can get on with working out how I can live on the cheap for the rest of the month to pay for it
thanks again!

London, UK
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 17:35   #30
Neil H
New V40 Owner

Got the car back, the leak "appears" to be fixed bank balance noticeably lighter

London, UK