Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA Start/Stop - Stalling & Lumpy running

Views : 4864

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 27th, 2018, 16:36   #1
Craig S

Default D4 VEA Start/Stop - Stalling & Lumpy running

I have been having a few issues with my 2015 D4 VEA stalling after the start stop has engaged.

It tends to happen when the car has not fully warmed up, but enough that the start/stop function kicks in. So the temp guage is rising but not at full normal operating temperature.

As the car starts moving, the car can without warning just completely shut down as if it's not getting enough fuel. Occasionally I have managed to catch it but if it happens I have to apply a lot more revs than normal to pull away (about 1500+ rpm) otherwise it stalls again.

Also when the engine is in that kind of temperature range it can be very lumpy when going back on the throttle after a period of being off the throttle. It feels like a misfire, as if one of the cylinders is getting no fuel then all of a sudden it bursts into life. Occasionally it needs a bit of Italian tuning for it to return to sensible running again.

There are no check engine lights or any other signs that there is a problem.

The car is run exclusively on V-Power Diesel/BP Ultimate/Esso Supreme as I find it runs very lumpy on ordinary diesel. That and the fact that with premium diesel economy goes up by around 10-15%.
Craig S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2018, 19:00   #2
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Has it had any of the common attention to the EGR/cooler/software?
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2018, 14:58   #3
Craig S

Zebster, I'm guessing it has, but I don't know.

It is a 2015 D4, with 105k on the clock and a full main dealer history. I would need to check. There are no other issues with the car in the 9 months I have had the car.
Craig S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2018, 17:45   #4
Fursty Ferret

Quote:
The car is run exclusively on V-Power Diesel/BP Ultimate/Esso Supreme as I find it runs very lumpy on ordinary diesel. That and the fact that with premium diesel economy goes up by around 10-15%.
This implies that there’s always been a problem somewhere with the car. Premium diesel has always sounded just as bad as cheap diesel in my V60.

You really need an expert to look at live data from the car while this happens, as it could be one of many, many, things.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 16:57   #5
RichardXC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig S View Post
I have been having a few issues with my 2015 D4 VEA stalling after the start stop has engaged.

It tends to happen when the car has not fully warmed up, but enough that the start/stop function kicks in. So the temp guage is rising but not at full normal operating temperature.

As the car starts moving, the car can without warning just completely shut down as if it's not getting enough fuel. Occasionally I have managed to catch it but if it happens I have to apply a lot more revs than normal to pull away (about 1500+ rpm) otherwise it stalls again.

Also when the engine is in that kind of temperature range it can be very lumpy when going back on the throttle after a period of being off the throttle. It feels like a misfire, as if one of the cylinders is getting no fuel then all of a sudden it bursts into life. Occasionally it needs a bit of Italian tuning for it to return to sensible running again.

Think you need this checked out, I was running my D4 only on Premium Diesels (BP Ultimate mostly) swapped about 15 months ago to Shell ordinary and there has been no change in the running or fuel consumption at all.

My VEA D4 has had other problems, but never rough running and none associated with the stop start system, which shouldn't activate until the engine is up to full running temperature.

I had a similar problem to the one you describe on my diesel Subaru, they had to replace the injectors at about 75,000 miles, and that had always been run on BP Ultimate.
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 20:16   #6
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardXC60 View Post
...My VEA D4 has had other problems, but never rough running and none associated with the stop start system, which shouldn't activate until the engine is up to full running temperature...
My VEA D4 (2015 V60) stop/start system becomes active within a minute or two of first starting.

It becomes inactive for 20-25 minutes whilst performing a DPF regeneration, which is a useful indicator.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 22:41   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig S View Post

The main cause of one of these diesels idling poorly or stalling is the egr valve sticking open intermittently , has it got the later improved type I wonder ? see your dealer for stored fault codes , you could well have a free fix if it is this ..
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 10:18   #8
mbrain

My 2014 D4 181 auto has a similar issue.

Pulling away after the Start/Stop has initiated is working 100%.

The problem arises when the engine hasn't been on for 30+ minutes. Select D, pull away with the handbrake being auto released and it shudders and stalls. Restart it, and it's fine. This is occurring every 250 miles or so.

It has the revised EGR fitted.

It's a Volvo Selekt vehicle, with 8 months warranty remaining I spoke to a service desk person and he said to run it on premium fuels and see what happens. It doesn't seem to have made any difference.

I'm going back there in a couple of weeks once I've emptied the latest tank.
mbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 10:28   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrain View Post
My 2014 D4 181 auto has a similar issue.

Pulling away after the Start/Stop has initiated is working 100%.

The problem arises when the engine hasn't been on for 30+ minutes. Select D, pull away with the handbrake being auto released and it shudders and stalls. Restart it, and it's fine. This is occurring every 250 miles or so.

It has the revised EGR fitted.

It's a Volvo Selekt vehicle, with 8 months warranty remaining I spoke to a service desk person and he said to run it on premium fuels and see what happens. It doesn't seem to have made any difference.

I'm going back there in a couple of weeks once I've emptied the latest tank.
Is that the 4 cylinder or the 5 cylinder ? if the 4 cylinder then highly likely the egr valve is sticking open ..
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 10:35   #10
mbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Is that the 4 cylinder or the 5 cylinder ? if the 4 cylinder then highly likely the egr valve is sticking open ..
Hi, yes the 4 cylinder model.

The EGR has already been replaced, so could this still be the problem?
mbrain is offline   Reply With Quote