Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Events and Meetings

Notices

Events and Meetings Car events and meetings for Volvo cars can be listed and discussed here.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The National Rally & BKV - does it really exist ?

Views : 26700

Replies : 269

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 25th, 2012, 18:46   #261
Chris_C
Gopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
There needs to be more categories but we need to be sensible - and don't forget we don't make the decisions!

Prufrock.
Agree with all you said apart from the quoted above. Yes, we do make the decisions. I wouldn't be here weighing in with my views if I didn't think it was going to do something. The directors are like any other normal person, if you help them make the best decision by giving them all the information (as in why you think x is good, not just biasing it against everyone else!), then often they'll agree with you.
Chris_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 19:24   #262
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyvic View Post
Now i maybe wrong and probably am ,but looking back over the years when the Club had a Masters class that the car of the show would go to Masters class and not be judged for a 3year period with cars in there own class of the bkv,this would mean that someone else had a chance of going in to the masters class if they became overall winner then those cars in the Masters class lineup would be judged by the club members,,Those in the masters class were actually Concours cars.
Come on there must be someone with better memories than me ..regards sunnyvic
Vic I know the VEC used to/do run that system.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 19:52   #263
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

There has been a lot of discussion since my last post and last time I read this thread.

Prizes!! I for one do not turn up to any car show to win a prize and the vast majority are the same as me. We bring our cars to these shows so that others can see them and see the work and effort that has been put into them. Yes the dedicated show cars and going to tend to pull the prizes year after year but so what. That is the owners reward for not using the car and polishing it very well.

I do also have to agree with Chris on the subject of the worn hinge pin on a very clean car. I see the same kind of thing very often with 120's where a lot of effort has been put into teh body wok but the suspension is a mess. Most of the bushes are crumbling originals and they are mechanicaly neglected. To me those cars should not win a BKV as they are unsafe to drive.

However teh above is not constructive to improving the BKV weekend.
I like the idea of making sat an action day and sun the show and shine day.
Public voting makes sense to me but I remeber it not going down well at the Northern. Perhaps a public vote for the top 3 cars at the show whould be the best idea to avoid confusion. The forms can be handed out on arrival with the entry forms. If the public agree with the judges then that means the judging is working well.

A welcome to the section is a great idea and needs dicussing between all register keepers for next year.

The line up order is always going to be an issue and not everyone will be happy. The traditional oldest at the front and newest at the back does make a lot of sense. It goes keep cars with common ground together, however I also see how mixing this up could be more interesting. I'm not sure what the best answer is on that side of things.

The modified class, I stongly feel it needs to be judged on the merit of the alterations and there is no way that a car that has only had a change of colour or halfords radio fitted should win that class because it is the cleanest. I think that customised would be a better term to use.

As to promoting the BKV there is a direct advert on this forum going to the 80,000 that signed up plus those that only brows. It is also in the events calender for magazines like practical classics. The only way to make it more know is for some of us to put pen to paper and get some of the car mags to do a feature on the BKV and what it has to offer.

The trade stands are also a very important part of the BKV and this year was very good form that side of things but i would like to see even more in years to come.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 20:35   #264
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
There has been a lot of discussion since my last post and last time I read this thread.

Prizes!! I for one do not turn up to any car show to win a prize and the vast majority are the same as me. We bring our cars to these shows so that others can see them and see the work and effort that has been put into them. Yes the dedicated show cars and going to tend to pull the prizes year after year but so what. That is the owners reward for not using the car and polishing it very well.

I do also have to agree with Chris on the subject of the worn hinge pin on a very clean car. I see the same kind of thing very often with 120's where a lot of effort has been put into teh body wok but the suspension is a mess. Most of the bushes are crumbling originals and they are mechanicaly neglected. To me those cars should not win a BKV as they are unsafe to drive.
I have heard of this problem affecting the classic bike world. AFAIK one solution to stop vehicles being trailered to the site and pushed into to place in gleaming condition was for all vehicles entering to complete a 20 mile (distance is optional) route behind a mrashall and upon returning, all vehicles went into parc ferme conditions and were judged in that state without being cleaned first.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 22:55   #265
gillberry
VOC Member

What about judging sections being done by decade , 50's 60's 70's etc and as well as the ones with everything polished what about a prize for the favorite in each decade . Just a thought .

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 23:40   #266
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillberry View Post
What about judging sections being done by decade , 50's 60's 70's etc and as well as the ones with everything polished what about a prize for the favorite in each decade . Just a thought .
That would work however what you would find is that you would have PV's 120 and P1800's in the same class and chances are a P1800 would win every time. And there would other examples like that.

The other down side would be the cross over for example you could have some 240's in the 70's class some in the 80's and teh rest in the 90's.

With the 120 meets I have a couple of classes for the 120's then a over 30 years old class and under 30 years class. On a small event this works well for me.

I also try and keep the 120 meets a lot more informal and all cars are parked together if keeping in the BKV part or not. Getting all the cars together is what I would like to see at the National BKV - there is no reason why a scruffy end of life 850 can not be parked along side a gleaming example.

I think we need some input from some of those that do win prizes at the BKV often and see what they think. I've a feeling they would be upset and maybe put off if the chance of coming home with a prize was reduced.
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 08:57   #267
brodgar
I've Been Banned

Default polished up.

Hello,

On the subject of polished-up cars ( though things might have been mentioned):

some cars were extremely shiny, fi the engine bays. I doubt these cars do more
than 500 yards a year (that is rolling in and out of the garage onto the trailer).

There is no way a car that is in daily use can ever compete with that (unless it just had a 250gbp valet before the show).

I suggest perhaps two first prices for the BKV

1 concours class

2 cars that have done at least 1000 miles a year (that is since last year ).
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 21:10   #268
jeff t
VOC Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
That would work however what you would find is that you would have PV's 120 and P1800's in the same class and chances are a P1800 would win every time. And there would other examples like that.

The other down side would be the cross over for example you could have some 240's in the 70's class some in the 80's and teh rest in the 90's.

With the 120 meets I have a couple of classes for the 120's then a over 30 years old class and under 30 years class. On a small event this works well for me.

I also try and keep the 120 meets a lot more informal and all cars are parked together if keeping in the BKV part or not. Getting all the cars together is what I would like to see at the National BKV - there is no reason why a scruffy end of life 850 can not be parked along side a gleaming example.

I think we need some input from some of those that do win prizes at the BKV often and see what they think. I've a feeling they would be upset and maybe put off if the chance of coming home with a prize was reduced.
Always like reading these threads with so mutch interest going on.
I have been showing my car at the bkv since 1996 and had some great wins overal best in show several times, which is good going for a 400 series because they do not seem as popular as other models.
I also enter other classic car shows witch i have won, entered ripon classic car show 2012 and won best post 1980 car.
Won Northern bkv in 2010 when they tried members voting for the best car.
I think the VOC board are on a no win with this one, as they are always going to have members with there ideas that are the best when realy time,the amount of cars and the very high standards are always going up making things harder.
What ever is changed the most important thing is to keep these great cars coming to the shows for us all to see, even if they are very highly polished witch seems to rub some people up, but hey ho great thread.
Cheers jeff.

Last edited by jeff t; Jun 26th, 2012 at 22:47.
jeff t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff t For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 13:18   #269
1stRaven
Forum Support Team

Can someone let me know the name of the Valet company that attended the day? Need to get my car done for a wedding and though I would support a supporter of the club.

Cheers
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 23:02   #270
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stRaven View Post
Can someone let me know the name of the Valet company that attended the day? Need to get my car done for a wedding and though I would support a supporter of the club.

Cheers
I think it was PDQ, Ryan.

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL