Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 2.0D Throttle Body Cleaning Guide

Views : 79475

Replies : 132

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 11th, 2012, 16:52   #11
jaygee
Avid Member

Think I am going to give this a go tonight?!

What carb cleaner did you guys use? Also, been told you have to careful to use carb cleaner if used incorrectly can cause the engine to over-rev?

Tell me if I've got it all wrong! Cheers!
jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 17:48   #12
kebab10
Premier Member

I use any old carb cleaner that I buy from the local car parts shop. Says carb cleaner on the can, good enough for me. Over revving, never had that problem. You will need plenty of rag and a good dosing of the carb cleaner.
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 17:50   #13
rowdy

Good guide. This thread needs to be made a sticky
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 11:51   #14
jaygee
Avid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x DTR x View Post
Managed to do mine this afternoon after finding the correct torx bit in my toolbox. Was in the same state as yours craigblues but managed to get it as clean, didn't file the flap either as copperknob advises as it seemed ok and moved freely. I also scrapped out the crud from the manifold as that was quite bad too. while i was at it, i fitted a blanking plate to the egr valve as that arrived yesterday via fleabay! Haven't taken it for a spin yet but it definitely idled better and smoother then before as it was a bit lumpy when cold.
which Torx bit size was it? Need to see if I have the right one in my toolbox :-$
jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 03:24   #15
VenomS40
08 Volvo S40 SE Sport R-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy View Post
Good guide. This thread needs to be made a sticky
Agree +1

Volvo S40 SE Sport R-Design + Winter Pack
VenomS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 01:59   #16
VenomS40

Right little confused now. Past few weeks the starting issue had gone and there was no let off or air pressure about 5 seconds after the engine was turned off.

Today I took the TB off and cleaned as done so in the guide. Started first time with a tap noise for like half a second if that at all. Every other start was fine, just thinking it was the carb cleaner being sprayed into the inlet that's caused it.

But now after a few starts I'm getting similar problems, it goes to start and struggles to keep idle and dies off but like the issue starting but just a little inbetween running and not starting. Also the 'farting' noise is back. So cant see that its solved the problem or do I have another problem else where?

Could it be glow plugs? What's the life of these things as my car has done 90k now....

I did how ever find the instant reading is more realistic now and the car picks up more just tickling the accelerator (not all bad news I guess)

Last edited by VenomS40; Jul 15th, 2012 at 02:03.
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 12:55   #17
x DTR x
Premier Member

Think the torx size is T27 but hopefully someone will correct me if i'm wrong. I had that strange starting issue yesterday too Venom, turned ignition but engine wouldn't really come to life, basically wouldn't rev? Switched off and restarted and was fine. I Put a dose of redex in with a full tank recently and am reaching the red on the gauge and thought it may have been that which may have caused it? I have recently seen a thread about not putting any additives or cleaners in as they don't like it or maybe its got damp somewhere cos of this crappy weather!

2005 V50 2.0 SE Sport
1999 S40 1.8 Gdi
1993 460 1.7 LX
x DTR x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 23:18   #18
andybsl55

Whipped off the throttle body today - needed no cleaning whatsoever..! (I have the 2 branch version)

...So ventured further towards the combustion process & took off the inlet manifold... Absolutely awful! Could pull carbon out on my finger... Pics attached. While you're at it with the throttle body I'd suggest whipping the manifold off & soaking it in brake cleaner as well...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0409.jpg (218.3 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0411.jpg (280.2 KB, 107 views)
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 00:25   #19
Guru
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybsl55 View Post
& took off the inlet manifold...
you may now need new manifold gaskets, the set is not cheap if you get the Volvo one, but the Citroen C4 2.0HDi uses the same kit and it is sold for half the price at about 50€ or so. I have the part number somewhere if you find out that the gaskets have failed and are leaking and need replacing.

P.s. most of that gunk is coming from the EGR valve, but since you have the Y shaped TB, blanking it off is not an option.
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 00:41   #20
VenomS40

Quote:
Originally Posted by x DTR x View Post
Think the torx size is T27 but hopefully someone will correct me if i'm wrong. I had that strange starting issue yesterday too Venom, turned ignition but engine wouldn't really come to life, basically wouldn't rev? Switched off and restarted and was fine. I Put a dose of redex in with a full tank recently and am reaching the red on the gauge and thought it may have been that which may have caused it? I have recently seen a thread about not putting any additives or cleaners in as they don't like it or maybe its got damp somewhere cos of this crappy weather!
The last few tanks I've been putting small amounts of redex into a full tank and had no issues if anything that was the period that I had no issues of starting at all so would say it was a good shout if you ask me. Who or where is it saying that its not good to use redex with out engines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybsl55 View Post
Whipped off the throttle body today - needed no cleaning whatsoever..! (I have the 2 branch version)

...So ventured further towards the combustion process & took off the inlet manifold... Absolutely awful! Could pull carbon out on my finger... Pics attached. While you're at it with the throttle body I'd suggest whipping the manifold off & soaking it in brake cleaner as well...
Jesus, thats a joke! I did spray up inside the inlet mani when the TB was off but didnt think of taking it off and giving a good clean. I did however pull out great clumps of carbon deposits just from the small part I did clean.

What year and engine have you got mate? Did you buy the twin TB and replaced the old single one or did you engine already have the new twin TB fitted? Just asking the age of car as that is some build up in there!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru View Post
you may now need new manifold gaskets, the set is not cheap if you get the Volvo one, but the Citroen C4 2.0HDi uses the same kit and it is sold for half the price at about 50€ or so. I have the part number somewhere if you find out that the gaskets have failed and are leaking and need replacing.

P.s. most of that gunk is coming from the EGR valve, but since you have the Y shaped TB, blanking it off is not an option.
Is it not wise to just replace regardless to make sure that there are no leaks? Would have thought this was a given if taking apart sealed units?

Tags
vaiotag