Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

nut size

Views : 792

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 14th, 2019, 10:02   #1
Tail
Master Member

Default nut size

Morning chaps

I have lost reverse on my gearbox, got it out nothing seems to be out of the ordinary but i am going to put my spare box back in but the one i took out has the larger balancer on the end whereas the new one doesn't.

2 questions, one do i really need to swap these over and if i do what size is the nut, my 30mm is a fraction too big so i will need to go buy a socket and i would rather just buy it the once

Cheers Tail
Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 16:21   #2
Tail
Master Member

Sorry meant to put pictures up of the nut i am talking about and the rear flange.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gearbox (Medium).jpg (229.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg gearbox 2 (Medium).jpg (209.4 KB, 20 views)
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 20:05   #3
Volvo_133
VOC member

Default nut size

Hi,
I am running an M41 overdrive box though I have a spare M40 box with the big flywheel type output flange, the nut looks identical to yours.
Tried metric sizes 30 is too big, 28 is too small, i dont have 29mm.
Tried AF size and found 1 and 1/8" to fit ok.
Volvo_133 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Volvo_133 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 20:15   #4
Volvo_133
VOC member

Default lost reverse

Regarding the loss of reverse.
Select neutral, remove gearbox lid, find right hand side selector and try to push it with big screwdriver towards the rear. You may have to rotate your input flange to align/ mesh the teeth.
If this works ok, then the box is fault free. check the metal plate to the underside of the box lid has not broken and that the spring is intact and in place.

Also check the box lid top area where the gearlever alignment pins sit. These wear particularly the righthand side. If this is the case you may fix the problem by just fitting the other box lid.
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvo_133 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 23:22   #5
Tail
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo_133 View Post
Regarding the loss of reverse.
Select neutral, remove gearbox lid, find right hand side selector and try to push it with big screwdriver towards the rear. You may have to rotate your input flange to align/ mesh the teeth.
If this works ok, then the box is fault free. check the metal plate to the underside of the box lid has not broken and that the spring is intact and in place.

Also check the box lid top area where the gearlever alignment pins sit. These wear particularly the righthand side. If this is the case you may fix the problem by just fitting the other box lid.

Thanks the underside of the box lid looks ok, or at least it looks like the other box lid does, will try the selector tomorrow night, it was kind of self inflicted, the car had been sat a while and the clutch stuck, normally i just warm it up then switch off,select first then turn it over on the starter, didn't work this time so went back in reverse and there was a bang and not able to select reverse but looking in the box, everything looks to be the same in both boxes and nothing lying in the bottom.
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 23:24   #6
Tail
Master Member

Quote:
Hi,
I am running an M41 overdrive box though I have a spare M40 box with the big flywheel type output flange, the nut looks identical to yours.
Tried metric sizes 30 is too big, 28 is too small, i dont have 29mm.
Tried AF size and found 1 and 1/8" to fit ok.
I have the same 30 and 28, might see if i can scrounge a 29 off someone at work, luckily my concrete plant was built so long ago all the nuts and bolts on it are AF so might have something there now that i know
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 18:49   #7
Volvo_133
VOC member

Default reverse

If you are able to select reverse by pushing the right hand selector to the rear, rotate the input shaft and check the output shaft rotates in the opposite direction. Rotate a few times listening and feeling for anything out of the ordinary. Now that you have explained how this occured, observe which brass selector fork is in operation, view down it and ensure that 1 of the fork prongs has not bent/twisted. My clutch rusts to the flywheel if not used regularly. I find it kinder in this situation to engage first or reverse, hand brake on hard, then attempt to start the engine with the clutch down.
Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvo_133 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 21:38   #8
Tail
Master Member

Quote:
I find it kinder in this situation to engage first or reverse, hand brake on hard, then attempt to start the engine with the clutch down.
Good luck.
Will try that method from now on, it seems easier than changing a gearbox
Old Apr 20th, 2019, 22:54   #9
Volvo_133
VOC member

Default Reverse

Have you sorted the reverse gear issue now?
Old Apr 21st, 2019, 13:26   #10
Tail
Master Member

Quote:
Have you sorted the reverse gear issue now?
Still working on it, been really busy at work, hopefully can have a look at some point today or tomorrow