Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fasten Seat Belt light and taking off windscreen wiper arm

Views : 343

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 4th, 2019, 17:36   #1
peterdeslandes

Default Fasten Seat Belt light and taking off windscreen wiper arm

Hi all

I recently purchased a 1973 P1800 ES and am thoroughly enjoying driving it - a wonderful car!

I'm working through some small snags and could do with help understanding how things work as I go about fixing them. I have all sorts of service manuals to help me but occasionally they don't contain the answers...

Here are my first two!

- The "fasten seat belt" warning light. The bulb is good but it doesn't light up. I don't understand what makes it come on. Is there a connection to the seat(s) that makes it work when they are sat on or does it work another way?

- The windscreen wiper arms. I need to take one off. I see and can move the clip under the arm by the rotating spindle outside but it still doesn't move, and I'm loathe to pull anything too hard. Is there another fixing somewhere that I need to undo? As I write this question I realise I haven't check the inside end for a screw or other fixing but it's raining so I'll ask anyway in case it's an easy one for someone here to answer.

Thanks in advance, any pointers and support very much appreciated
Peter
peterdeslandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2019, 19:19   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Peter;

Welcome to this forum!

The Seatbelt warning light has some complicated sensing and logic behind it...or was that the seatbelt warning buzzer(?!)...I suggest checking the Owner's Manual and Wiring Diagram for all the things that affect this indicator (and this may have also been market dependent)...I personally wouldn't be worrying about it, but as a reference here is link to WD: http://www.sw-em.com/1800ES%20Wiring%20Diagram.jpg

Windscreen wiper removal takes some carefully and judiciously applied force...and a towel on the bodywork to protect the area around Wiper Post. See: http://www.sw-em.com/Wiper_Arm_and_Blade_Notes.htm

Pictures are always nice (but I believe you have to have minimum number of posting first).

Cheers from Connecticut!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2019, 20:42   #3
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
Peter;

The Seatbelt warning light has some complicated sensing and logic behind it...or was that the seatbelt warning buzzer(?!)...I suggest checking the Owner's Manual and Wiring Diagram for all the things that affect this indicator (and this may have also been market dependent)...I personally wouldn't be worrying about it, but as a reference here is link to WD: http://www.sw-em.com/1800ES%20Wiring%20Diagram.jpg
Hi Peter, welcome to ES ownership.

Ron is correct, the seatbelt warning system included a light and a buzzer for the USA (and possibly others) market, whereas for the UK it was just a light. On 1972 cars it just warned the driver to wear the belt by an earth-interrupting switch in the centre buckle anchor. On 1973 model year cars it also included a crude weight-monitoring flexible connection on the passenger seat cushion support frame.

My own 1973 ES seatbelt warning light packed up years ago, I did manage to resurrect it once by studying the wiring diagram and replacing some of it with new cable and fiddling with the switch connections, but after it failed again I just left it inoperable, after all it's not a legal requirement (in UK anyway) and I've never missed it.

Compared to my everyday car, a Volvo V90 with warning graphics, alarm sounds and handbrake interlock all cutting-in if you forget to 'belt-up', the old ES is heartwarmingly basic!!

Paul
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2019, 21:32   #4
peterdeslandes

Amazing info on all fronts, thanks so much for that and the kind welcome!

This is the better wiring diagram I've seen so I'll get busy tracing it. Super helpful on the windscreen wiper arm too - kind of what I was expecting but great to confirm that gentle force is required.

Thanks again, I'll report back with progress as and when...
peterdeslandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2019, 21:25   #5
rainflye

Late response but.....have a 73 also. 2 wires connect at the base of the seat belt receptacles one from each seat. Disconnect the one on the passenger side to eliminate the weight activated signal. Now you're only dealing with the driver side circuit. Easier to troubleshoot
rainflye is offline   Reply With Quote