Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel Consumption XC60 D5 and D3

Views : 28790

Replies : 177

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 11th, 2011, 20:24   #51
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbg View Post
There seems to be only one basic engine and it is marketed in different forms:-

See here http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/press/re...upgraded.shtml

I have changed from the D3 FWD to a D3 AWD and am baffled as you are!!
Same engine block but different engines - one has a swept volume of 2.4 ltrs the other has a swept volume of only 2 lts which means a different crankshaft, con-rods, probably different pistons and head also.

Numpties (like salesmen ) probably look at the engine block - which shows that the 2 engines are the same physical size and conclude that they are the same engine
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 20:53   #52
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Same engine block but different engines - one has a swept volume of 2.4 ltrs the other has a swept volume of only 2 lts which means a different crankshaft, con-rods, probably different pistons and head also.

Numpties (like salesmen ) probably look at the engine block - which shows that the 2 engines are the same physical size and conclude that they are the same engine
]

Hi Wimorrison

Yes agree that could be the case.....although there has been an instance that a "numptie" has suggested that the D3 and the D5 are totally DIFFERENT engines and that the D3 is an ALL NEW engine.....which as we all know is incorrect....the D3 ...is a reworked D5....as you say

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 21:04   #53
volvorocks
Rodney

Hey guys and gals

We need to know HOW you ran your vehicles in from new and what bearing this had on fuel consumption......instead of plain mpg figures...

Best regards
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 21:16   #54
Abarth

OK... lots to take on board!

I had no idea that the D3 AWD wasnt in the wild here yet.. explains why I am having so much trouble getting insurance quotes on it.

They are out and about in Europe already though arent they?

I can see that basically there is one diesel engine, which Volvo can make into a 2.0 or 2.4 depending on the crank.

I am also reading the the D3 auto gearbox will be set at 2.4L,, but with 163bhp. The dealer however claims that it will still be a 2.0L engine on the D3 auto.

Its a real pain buying something and not really knowing what you are getting (and what sort of MPG can be expected).
Abarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 21:34   #55
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abarth View Post
OK... lots to take on board!

I had no idea that the D3 AWD wasnt in the wild here yet.. explains why I am having so much trouble getting insurance quotes on it.

They are out and about in Europe already though arent they?

I can see that basically there is one diesel engine, which Volvo can make into a 2.0 or 2.4 depending on the crank.

I am also reading the the D3 auto gearbox will be set at 2.4L,, but with 163bhp. The dealer however claims that it will still be a 2.0L engine on the D3 auto.

Its a real pain buying something and not really knowing what you are getting (and what sort of MPG can be expected).
D3 and D5 same engine just slightly reworked.

D3 AWD has apparently just arrived in UK ..despite VOLVO UK catergorically saying they would NEVER produce a D3 AWD in this country (UK)...and despite the rather erroneous information that they also said to me that 4WD D5 was being discontinued..why...not a clue....opinion.....they dont know their left hand from the right..

Sales people do not appear to know what they are talking about....although can you blame them when VOLVO UK appear not to either??? (opinion)

D3 gets circa 39mpg on a run D5 gets circa 37mpg on a run......average overall - D3....33mpg...average overall - D5.....32mpg

On a run means 70mph ...no more

Average is a combined of both in the real world.

Not much difference between D5 and D3 as the D3 is front wheel drive and whilst the D5 is all wheel drive its generally running front wheel drive till it detects slip.

Expect circa 30mpg ish plus or minus a couple of mpg from both D3 and D5 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive and you will not be far wrong

Hope this helps

Best of luck and kind regards

Last edited by volvorocks; Aug 11th, 2011 at 21:39. Reason: spelt talking wrong..put i in the wrong place!! (talikng)
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 21:37   #56
volvorocks
Rodney

Abarth

D3 is actually D5 2.4 made smaller

D3 is actually a 2.0 litre

Best regards
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 21:59   #57
Abarth

Holly smoke,,,, 30 mpg - thats not much cop!

I was hoping for 40 something

Currently running a Honda CRV which with a petrol 2.0 and autobox is averaging about 30... when you factor in that diesel costs more to buy - this could mean a higher fuel bill than what we have.

Ummmmmm
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 22:27   #58
Ransman
Master Member

My D3 geartronic has averaged (true figure, not from the gauge) 37.5mpg since new 4,000 miles ago and the figure is creeping up. Last six fill-ups averaging 38.1mpg. That's better than the 150ps Zafira I had before the XC60.
Ransman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 22:41   #59
Abarth

Thats a bit more like it.... at least we would be no worse off (by the time the more expensive pump price of diesel v petrol) is factored in.

I take it that your D3 is FWD though, so I would imagine I would be lucky to get quite the same from an AWD example (as I honestly can not see how the AWD system will do anything other than have an adverse effect on the real MPG - forget what Volvo or the Dept of Transport or whoever claim)
Old Aug 12th, 2011, 10:34   #60
844PHW
Master Member

My D3 FWD manual is now nudging 45mpg on a long motorway run (measured between top-ups). That is at 4000 miles. When new it did around 38mpg in the same circumstances.

Considering the amount of time spent at around 70mph I'm impressed.