Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

surface grinding valve heads flat

Views : 429

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2019, 00:07   #1
MissSpentYouth

Default surface grinding valve heads flat

I have worn valve stem heads were poor servicing in the past has caused the rocker arms to wear the top of the valve stem heads

This is on a 2006 d5 185 with 200k miles

I did replace the worn rockers sometime back but due to the high cost of the valves left them alone

Having had the rockers out today I have noticed that these rough topped valves are prematurely wearing into the underside of my new rockers

Has anyone ever tried putting the valves onto a magnetic base and taking a thin pass over them with a surface grinder to restore a true flat face once more ?

Concerns I have are changes to the geometry of the rocker angle ?

Are the valve heads surface hardened only ?

Clearly the best course is new valves but at £25 each times 20 that's about what the car is worth

Just wondered if anyone has done this in the past with success
MissSpentYouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2019, 10:45   #2
100K+
Premier Member

Have no experience in this but I'd consider-

1) Currently valves are wearing the rockers - how many miles will elapse before the valves ruin the rockers? (again)

2) You have concerns about removing/loosing the hardness in the valve head by grinding. If you do grind them what if anything is the down side - you'd have 2 surfaces of more equal hardness perhaps and more equal wear.
Is this situation better or worse than position 1?

3) At 200K how many more miles do you expect/want/need from this car? which option above is more likely to get to this point.

If you do decide to grind the valves I'd try to keep the valves as cool as possible - spray water from 2nd pair of hands??
When the valve tops are flat again can't see how geometry of the rocker angle can be altered - perhaps I'm missing something there.

I suspect there are many other options/considerations. - Just my 2d cos no one has offered any comment....yet
What ever you decide good luck.

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2019, 15:07   #3
eternal optimist
Master Member

Have a look at the prices of inlet and exhaust valves on www.autodoc.co.uk

They’re a lot less than £25 each.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2019, 09:04   #4
davebb
Premier Member

Hi but do autodoc have stock ?
as I ordered some koni sports front struts inserts from them 2 weeks ago as there site said they are in stock, after 2 days I asked on there on line chat when they will be sent, and they told me it was being sent soon, I asked another 2 days after and they told me the same,
then after another 2 days they sent my a email saying that they did not have stock and will not be getting any stock, and if I give them my vin they could find a part to fit my car, but I ordered the konis, it took another 5 days to get a refund,,
also there site makes it look like they are in the UK, they are not, they are in Germany ,
in the end I ordered them on ebay yes it came to £15 more for the pair but I had them delivered with in 4 days, they also came from Germany,
sorry about the long email that has nothing to do with the valves, but I don't want you wasting time ordering from them only to find out they do not have the valves,
also they still have the konis listed on the site,
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2019, 10:42   #5
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebb View Post
Hi but do autodoc have stock ?
as I ordered some koni sports front struts inserts from them 2 weeks ago as there site said they are in stock, after 2 days I asked on there on line chat when they will be sent, and they told me it was being sent soon, I asked another 2 days after and they told me the same,
then after another 2 days they sent my a email saying that they did not have stock and will not be getting any stock, and if I give them my vin they could find a part to fit my car, but I ordered the konis, it took another 5 days to get a refund,,
also there site makes it look like they are in the UK, they are not, they are in Germany ,
in the end I ordered them on ebay yes it came to £15 more for the pair but I had them delivered with in 4 days, they also came from Germany,
sorry about the long email that has nothing to do with the valves, but I don't want you wasting time ordering from them only to find out they do not have the valves,
also they still have the konis listed on the site,
Dave
They have a .co.uk web address and a bunch of others, it’s all the same company offering to deliver to the UK. I don’t particularly care where they ship from. My irritation with them is that they don’t offer an express service, and on one occasion their site showed something in stock that wasn’t.

However, I’m now an enthusiastic customer having ordered a bunch of stuff for my Mazda, Mini and Volvo. What I like is that they offer a broader range of replacements eg I can choose between Sachs struts for my Mazda 5 at c £40 vs a no-name brand from them at £25 or go to ECP and use their discount to get the Sachs struts from ECP at £70 or no name Brand for £40. Same with ATE, Lemforder, SKF etc.

They have a live chat function as well where you can check availability. It’s not completely foolproof, I suspect they don’t hold everything in stock and rely on their suppliers having accurate stock records.

Anyhow, back to the original post. Yes, you should ideally have replaced the valves as well as the rockers. You don’t need to pay £25 each for new valves and I wouldn’t waste time trying to regrind the top surface.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eternal optimist For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2019, 11:37   #6
ASt85
Premier Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSpentYouth View Post
I have worn valve stem heads were poor servicing in the past has caused the rocker arms to wear the top of the valve stem heads.

Has anyone ever tried putting the valves onto a magnetic base and taking a thin pass over them with a surface grinder to restore a true flat face once more ?

Are the valve heads surface hardened only ?
As eternal optimist says above, don't waste your time trying to grind the tips of the valve stems - they are usually only case hardened, in all probability nitrided, depending upon the original spec and are not designed to be re-flatted.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote