Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cigarette Lighter Fuse

Views : 25687

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 5th, 2011, 14:52   #21
arong

I appreciate everybody's help, the diagram is for a LH model so any idea where it is this panel where I should find it is on a RH drive?
arong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2014, 12:37   #22
Blaise
Volvo V40 1.8 GDI 2001

It is EXACTLY were Gazdok said it is.
A hairgrip dropped into my cig lighter and my wife said she saw a blue flash, now the sat nav does not charge lol.
On a right hand drive volvo v40 51 plate you open drivers door, get down on your knees and look under the dashboard to the right. There is a black box there which is about 4 inches tall and about 1-2 inches across. It is bolted on to the vehicle via a 10 mm nut, but to gain access to the fuses you just gentle "pop" the black lid off of it.
It shows you on the lid which fuse it is, and on the underside of lid i found a fuse removal tool and 3 small spare fuses and 1 normal size spare fuse. The fuse you require is a 20 amp small fuse.

And thats it! Exactly were Gazdok said 😊🍻
Blaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2014, 13:13   #23
jasmith44
jasmith44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise View Post
It is EXACTLY were Gazdok said it is.
A hairgrip dropped into my cig lighter and my wife said she saw a blue flash, now the sat nav does not charge lol.
On a right hand drive volvo v40 51 plate you open drivers door, get down on your knees and look under the dashboard to the right. There is a black box there which is about 4 inches tall and about 1-2 inches across. It is bolted on to the vehicle via a 10 mm nut, but to gain access to the fuses you just gentle "pop" the black lid off of it.
It shows you on the lid which fuse it is, and on the underside of lid i found a fuse removal tool and 3 small spare fuses and 1 normal size spare fuse. The fuse you require is a 20 amp small fuse.

And thats it! Exactly were Gazdok said 😊🍻
I think he must have found it as it was 3 years ago.
jasmith44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2014, 22:16   #24
Simon Jones
Premier Member

S60/V70 passenger compartment fuse box is behind the drivers side dashboard end cover rather than in a black box under the dash as the V40 appears to have.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2014, 23:57   #25
jasmith44
jasmith44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
S60/V70 passenger compartment fuse box is behind the drivers side dashboard end cover rather than in a black box under the dash as the V40 appears to have.
The fuse for the cig lighter is under the dash above the brake pedal,i think there are two torx screw to undo.Well it is on my 2007 S60.
jasmith44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 16:57   #26
Dogtired

Red face 12V Socket Fuse

Hi I have a 2005 V70 E4 D5 185 model with the same problem. Checked through handbook and this forum and actually after much difficulty found the fuse. On my model it is under the drivers side dashboard. You need to undo 4 screws 2 are hidden under the flap for the diagnostic socket and remove the cover. Now the interesting part NO diagram on the cover and you have to stand on your head to find the fuse panel that is located up and behind the diagnostic socket. Handbook states fuse 11 is the correct fuse. Interesting point No.2 The handbook diagram maps out where the fuse should be. But NO it is actually in reverse order to the actual layout of the fuses. It is a small type 15A fuse that is in location 8 if you count along the fuses as per the handbook. Map the actual fuses with the handbook and this becomes apparent. Changed this fuse and wonders never cease the power socket now works. Finally my handbook list this as Front and Rear Seat Socket. No mention of 12V or cigarette lighter etc. Hope this helps.
Dogtired is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dogtired For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 09:46   #27
Simon Jones
Premier Member

For some reason on the facelift models, Volvo thought it would be really good to move the location of most of the fuses to the under the dashboard where you can't get at them. Then just to rub it in a bit more, they left the original fuse box at the end of the dashboard in place with just a handful of fuses for the permanently live stuff.

Some photos of pre and post-facelift:

Last edited by Simon Jones; Jan 14th, 2016 at 10:04.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Jones For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2019, 17:51   #28
ascott1
VOC Member

Default 2006 V70 petrol RHD - fuse location/access

This is an older thread but Google still comes up with it as the first link on the problem, so I'll post my notes here from replacing the cigarette lighter fuse on my 2006 V70, 2.4 petrol RHD, this afternoon. Apologies if it duplicates other advice elsewhere.

As Simon says above, Volvo seem to have decided to move some of the useful fuses to where you can't get at them. On my V70 they're under the trim panel above the pedals on the driver's side. This isn't easily removable, though the owner's manual implies there are just 2 torx screws to take out and a panel to pull down in 3 places.

Because the manual is confusing and there are other fuse sets which are more accessible, I've posted a picture of the box you're looking for (which shows that there's no key to list which fuse is which, unlike the boxes in other parts of the car), and a photo of my manual page 192 which shows the list of fuses, and a link to the US owner's manual p139 which seems to have the same information for an LHD car, now linked from volvocars.com to https://volvornt.harte-hanks.com/man..._08a.htm#pg139

I've also posted a picture of the offending trim panel when it's finally out of the car, just to show that it's not a neat pull-down cover. The part number is 9164893, it's called a "Concealing panel Volvo" according to the guys at https://www.volvozone.eu/en/178418-c...o-9164893.html who want about 105 euros for a new one, though other cheaper options should be available now. I was very concerned I was going to break the panel or one or more of its retaining pins or clips, when trying to get it out.

When trying to get to the fuse box, I removed the two screws as noted then tried to pull the panel free, but it seemed stuck fast. As mentioned in an earlier post, there are also two torx screws at the ODB2 connector and I took these out, which seemed to help. It was, though, very hard to get the ODB2 connector back into the car when replacing the panel later, and the panel eventually went back without seeming to depend on these screws. After the job was done, there was a small metal clip left over (photo also attached). It had fallen out, I couldn't find a match for it anywhere to put it back, and the panels seem to be secure enough without it. Maybe the metal clip held the ODB2 connector to the "concealing panel" and removing the two extra screws allowed the connector to move enough to let the clip drop out, and left the "concealing panel" freer to move.

In the end, with pulling and pushing and prising with screwdrivers in a fairly inaccessible position, working outdoors on a moderately cold day and lying on the ground to get low enough to see what was going on, I was able to remove the "concealing panel" which clips into the underside of the dashboard with two pairs of studs, and also fastens on its left side to clips behind the trim panel for the centre console, on the right-hand side of the console. All with expensive and cold 13-year-old plastic, not easy to bend or to move away from the retaining holes and clips. The two pairs of studs each consist of one larger stud which presses into a hole, and a smaller stud which slips into a locating slot. It was too dark to take photos, even with a phone light and small work lamp to get into the confined space.

I replaced the fuse using the fuse extractor tool from the bigger fusebox beside the driver's door (fuses in the under-dashboard box could be hard to reach otherwise). Then I went to put the ODB2 connector back. This turned out to be very hard, the two screws for the connector fasten into a curved black plastic panel which slides freely behind the lower dashboard, and it's not possible to see or feel the holes for the screws, when re-fastening them and trying to hold the curved panel in place. In the end I pushed a thin rod through one hole to hold the panel roughly in place then managed to align the second hole and get a grip on it with one of the screws to locate it.

At the end of all this, the cigarette lighter socket works again. The panels all seem to have clipped back together without incident. The ODB2 connector is held solidly in place in case I have to read it. There's a small spring clip which was left over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img-0732.jpg (173.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-0733.jpg (284.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Img-0734.jpg (112.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Img-0731a.jpg (256.2 KB, 4 views)
940 SE 2.0 MY93, 2008-12; 960 SE 2.5 MY96, 2005-11;
V70 2.5 10v MY98, 2003-05; 740 2.3ET MY90, 1994-2003.
ascott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ascott1 For This Useful Post: