Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel flap unlock failure

Views : 5670

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 20:55   #11
ASt85
Premier Member

Default Scrap metal

Beginning to think that this V70 may be just that - scrap metal with a rather large electronic footprint which is rather more expensive than needs be to correct!

Hence the simple rather than the elegant solution.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 23:19   #12
jnmonaghan

Default 2003 d5 v70

Had this problem some time ago. Don't buy a replacement motor/actuator until you have removed & examined it I'ts highly possible you can rpair it. most likely the two electrical contacts. I paid about £80 for a replacement Volvo actuator, which it turned out I did'nt need! Remove side panel trim in boot to access the motor/actuator.
jnmonaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jnmonaghan For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 23:22   #13
ASt85
Premier Member

Default Repair

I'm a firm believer in repairing an existing device if at all possible on the grounds of best use of resources - actually the cheaper repair/clean/refurbish option often leads to a more long lasting solution.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 20:28   #14
ASt85
Premier Member

Smile Repair completed in around two hours

I managed to complete a repair of the fuel flap mechanism in around two hours.

I have posted the procedure I used along with photos on the forum at
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...56#post1076156
Many thanks for all the help and advice received in tackling this job.

One thing that did surprise me was how flimsy the locking mechanism was - so, having completed the repair, I bought a locking petrol cap for £18, a small price to pay to protect around £90 worth of fuel in a tank.

Last edited by ASt85; Jan 23rd, 2012 at 22:46.
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 13:55   #15
sheaton

Default Unlocking the fuel flap on the V70 (solenoid broken)

I just had a problem with fuel locking flap remaining locked shut after unlocking the car (and "ALARM SYSTEM SERVICE REQUIRED" showing on the dash).

On the V70, I opened the flap inside the boot (the one for changing the rear bulbs). You can then reach in and feel the actuator rod for the lock which is on the end of the solenoid. Look at the outside of the car to get an idea where it is (just above the finger catch on the flap).

On the rod you will feel a sliding plastic piece. Move this to the rear of the car by about 10mm and the flap is now unlocked.
sheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 14:23   #16
CaptainSlow337

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaton View Post
I just had a problem with fuel locking flap remaining locked shut after unlocking the car (and "ALARM SYSTEM SERVICE REQUIRED" showing on the dash).

On the V70, I opened the flap inside the boot (the one for changing the rear bulbs). You can then reach in and feel the actuator rod for the lock which is on the end of the solenoid. Look at the outside of the car to get an idea where it is (just above the finger catch on the flap).

On the rod you will feel a sliding plastic piece. Move this to the rear of the car by about 10mm and the flap is now unlocked.
I too have had the same issue for the last 6 months or so. Sometimes it's unlocked when I try open it, other times it isn't. It really isn't a big deal.
CaptainSlow337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 14:57   #17
ASt85
Premier Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaton View Post
A good result, but if it has jammed once it will again, and again if you are unlucky.

The repair procedure is fairly quick, https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post1076156
as is replacing the lock servo with a known good one - it is the motor in the servo that usually fails having said that, it is worth re-greasing the screw thread - what I would suggest is that you connect a piece of nylon fishing line/string/wire to the hole in the white re-tractor tab which can then be accessed as a "pull cord" from the RHS removable rear light cover - that way even if it continues to fail, you have a fail safe which you can use in a few seconds.

Last edited by ASt85; Aug 14th, 2019 at 17:55. Reason: retract/retractor....red tractor moment!!!
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 16:38   #18
ASt85
Premier Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlow337 View Post
I too have had the same issue for the last 6 months or so. Sometimes it's unlocked when I try open it, other times it isn't. It really isn't a big deal.
IMHO It is if you are down to the red zone and can't open the flap - no pun intended!

Old Aug 15th, 2019, 12:26   #19
migrator
Aye - him again

I get this situation quite often on my S80. I just remove a piece of the boot lining and move the lug on the locking rod assembly back and forth a few times. With the locking rod in the 'locked' position I use the remote opening fob and the fuel flap does open. Locking the fuel flap is a problem as there is a deliberate delay in the fuel flap lock working after the doors etc have locked.

I really must take the fuel flap lock assembly out and service it - clean the actuator rod and apply some more Vaseline (petroleum jelly).

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2019, 13:13   #20
vampwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal master tech View Post
Amm pretty sure if you remove the panel in the boot you can gain access to the lock and should be able to pull the actuator lever back once you have the flap will open then if you need to replace it you simply undo the torx screws and the lock unit will come out from the inside
Mine does exactly the same as described. I can access mine through the small removable panel and pull the latch back.

A pain, but as it is so infrequet I am reluctant to strip the boot to access the latch.
vampwitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel flap door, not unlocking, v70